Ch. 3.2 Questions Answered
Make sure you have the correct
answers for the upcoming test
1. Why did the Separatists decide
to leave England for America?
• Persecuted for religious beliefs.
– (Example: The Pilgrims wanted to break from
the Church of England, felt it was too much
like the Catholic Church.)
2. How was the Puritans’ colonial
experience different from that of the
• Puritans much better prepared, did not
endure a starving time.
3. What was the New England
• Philosophy/identity of Puritans in New
– Emphasized education, duty, godliness, hard
work, and honesty.
• (Contributed to the quick success and
growth of the New England colonies.)
4. Why did some individuals and
groups challenge Puritan leaders?
• Opposed forced church attendance and
poor treatment of Native Americans.
5. How did Native Americans and
Europeans differ in their views of land
• Europeans = private/individual ownership.
• Native Americans = communal/shared