7 th grade
This project should be selected
based on you.
• Your interest
• Your aptitude
• Your attitude
• Your personality
• Characteristics about yourself
• Physical limitation
• Your abilities
Look in your Notebook
• Review your list of abilities, interest and
personality traits from your X sheet and
This is a major part of your
• Do a good job.
• You must turn in your rough draft and a final
• The rough draft is a piece of work in progress.
You may add, change, mark out things on it.
• Final copy is to be front side of the paper only.
• Final copy is typed or in black or blue ink.
• Spelling counts. Have parents spell check or spell
check on the computer.
Each Section has a specific thing
that goes on that Section.
• Every Section must have the required
information or points will be deducted.
• You must site references within your report
either beside the fact or within each fact
• You must keep a record of all references
used in this project for the last section.
• You must give complete web site addresses
along with the title of the article.
• Size 12 font only
Section One –Title
• Three things
• 1. Your Name and the Career Name
• 2. Picture of your career (you may draw,
download, cut it out, or take it).
• 3. Which Concentration? Which Pathway?
Sample Title Section
By: Barbara Mackessy
Program Concentration: Education
Pathway: Teaching as a Profession
Section 2 Major Job Duties
• This must be from the DOT (www.stepfour.com/jobs)
• DOT = Dictionary of Occupational Titles
• This is the only part of your research paper that you copy.
• You are to copy the entire DOT definition
• This definition is written by the government to what most
people do most of the time at that particular job.
• Make sure that you include the DOT number and the GOE
• Record the DOT number as a reference on Section 12.
Section 3 Education and Training
• This means you are to report the educational level and the
training needed for your job from each source.
• You must use 5 different reputable sources on this Section.
• You must give the educational level from 5 reference
sources and the training needed from 5 reference sources.
• The same 5 sources may report both the educational level
and the training requirements.
• You must write the source beside or along with each fact.
• This section should have one sentence about the education
and one sentence about the training from five different
sited sources. That means it should have ten sentences as
the combined total from the five different sources.
Sample Education & Training
• According to the OOH, a teacher must have a four
year college degree called a bachelor’s. The OOH
also stated that some states require additional
testing for certification.
• According to the Career Discovery Encyclopedias
a teacher must have a Bachelor’s Degree.
Training includes practice teaching.
• According to the Vocational Biographies, a
• According to the Career Profile, a teacher must…
• According to the Career Connection II, a teacher
Each reference source on Section
three is worth 2 points.
This means that you could make extra
on this Section. There must be 5
sources that include the education and
training before extra points are given.
Section 4 Working Conditions
• This may be from any number of
sources or from one source.
Document the source that the
material came from beside or in the
fact. There is not a requirement for
the number of sources, but you
must record the source beside each
• You must answer twelve of the
questions in this section.
Section 4 Working Environment and Conditions
• You must answer at least 12 of the following sentences. You may select the twelve you
answer for this section.
• How many hours per day and per week do they work?
• Do they work weekdays, weekend, holidays?
• Do they work days or nights?
• Are you on call when you are not at work?
• What is your work location? Inside/Outside, school, hospital, office, boat, plane etc.
• What type of physical work conditions is required at your job site?
• What type of communication skills are needed for your job?
• What interpersonal skills are needed for this job?
• Are math and science needed for this job? How are they used?
• Working with people sometimes requires special techniques – what are some for this job?
• Are you required to travel out of town for this job?
• Are you required to drive any distance for this job?
• What types of equipment and tools are required for this job?
• What special abilities are required or needed for this job?
• Are there any special hiring practices for this job?
• Are there any special applicant requirements? If so, what?
Section 5 Salary and Benefits
• This Section requires 5 reference sources.
• You must list the source beside or with each fact.
• You must have at least one sentence about the
salary and one sentence about the benefits.
• Each source is worth 2 points.
• Remember to include sources on Section 12.
Benefits are the extras besides the paycheck
Benefits may include: • Car provided
• Holiday pay • Travel expenses
• Sick days • Equipment provided
• Vacation days • Supply funds
• Health insurance • Flexible hours
• Life insurance • Child care provided
• Dental insurance • Birthday off with pay
• Disability insurance • Paid training
• Vision insurance • Purchasing discounts
Section 5 Salary and Benefits
• According to the OOH, a teacher will earn ….and
has the benefits of…
• As stated in the Career Discovery Encyclopedias,
a teacher earns…with …as benefits.
• The Career Profile states, that teachers
earned…and had the following benefits.
• The Occufile Cards stated that teacher could
expect to earn….with ….as benefits.
• According to the Vocational Biographies, a
teacher earns…with ….as benefits.
Section Six Outlook = What they expect to
happen in the future – 5 sources
These five sources can be the same five sources
used on the education & training section and the
salary & benefit section.
Section 7 Typical Day or Week
• What is an average day at this job?
• What could I expect on a regular day?
• What happens on a normal day?
• According to the Vocational Biographies,
Suzie’s day went like this…
• According to review.com, Suzie’s day …
• This section is to have sixteen sentences about
the times or hours and activities.
Section 8 GOE Aptitudes
• You must include all of the GOE Aptitudes or if the GOE book is not
available then you may include aptitudes from other sources.
• You will find your GOE number at the end of your DOT definition.
• G2 = High General Learning Environment
• V1 = High Verbal Ability
You will write the letter and then look up what it means for each item.
Section 9 Satisfactions and Dissatisfactions
• You must include three
satisfactions/likes and three
your job that are not included in
the report anywhere else.
• 3 good/positives/likes
• 3 bad/negatives/dislikes
Section 10 Telephone Interview
• You must call someone working in your job and
ask them a couple of question.
• You must include the name of the person you
• You must also include the date, time and phone
• Phone books are available in the class room.
• If you don’t have a phone, make an appointment
your teacher and you can call from school.
• You may email a person in your job but you must
include a printed copy of the emails.
Section 11 Letter for more information
• You are to correctly write a business letter
requesting more information on your career.
• Addresses can be found in your reference
• Copies of a correctly formatted business letter
are provided as an example.
• I suggest you take one home and complete this
• These letters are not mailed but to see if you can
correctly format a business letter.
Section 12 References or Sources
• Complete listing of all materials used in this report.
• You must include the Section number, volume and
page number along with the title of the book.
• You must include all web sites along with the name
of the site.
• If you use a library book a complete bibliography is
• Seven sources are required in the entire report.
Your Future is up to you!
You may be anything in the world with the
right education and training.