Document Sample
Centennial Powered By Docstoc
					                                          Session #56 802.16 Maintenance Task Group Opening Report

IEEE 802.16 Presentation Submission Template (Rev. 9)
Document Number:
   IEEE 802.16maint-08/016
Date Submitted:
   Jon Labs                                                                  Voice:              +1 514 684 0200 x325
   Wavesat, Inc.                                                             E-mail:   
   1375 Trans-Canada Hwy
   Dorval, QC H9P 2W8

   Session #56 Maintenance Task Group Opening Report
Base Contribution:
   For review
   This document does not represent the agreed views of the IEEE 802.16 Working Group or any of its subgroups. It represents only the views of the participants listed in
   the “Source(s)” field above. It is offered as a basis for discussion. It is not binding on the contributor(s), who reserve(s) the right to add, amend or withdraw material
   contained herein.
   The contributor grants a free, irrevocable license to the IEEE to incorporate material contained in this contribution, and any modifications thereof, in the creation of an
   IEEE Standards publication; to copyright in the IEEE’s name any IEEE Standards publication even though it may include portions of this contribution; and at the IEEE’s
   sole discretion to permit others to reproduce in whole or in part the resulting IEEE Standards publication. The contributor also acknowledges and accepts that this
   contribution may be made public by IEEE 802.16.
Patent Policy:
   The contributor is familiar with the IEEE-SA Patent Policy and Procedures:
                                     <> and <>.
   Further information is located at <> and < >.
            Session #56 802.16
          Maintenance Task Group
              Opening Report
                    July 14, 2008

• Chair: Jon Labs
• Chief Editor: Joe Schumacher
          Rev2 Development Plan
       between Session #55 and #56
• June 5: Generate and release Rev2/D4a (delta version), D5
  (clean version)
• June 5: Rapporteur groups start harmonization work
• June 5: Initiate Recirc LB #26d
• June 20: Close Recirc LB #26d, AOE (~15 days)
• June 21: Open call for reply comments
• June 30: Close call for reply comments (~9 days)
• July 14: Rapporteur groups complete harmonization work
  on ballot comments.
• July 14-17: Resolve comments at Session #56
• July 18: Request conditional approval from 802 EC to go
  to Sponsor Ballot.
   Process on Revision Project Since
     Closing Report at Session #55

• 2008/06/06       P802.16Rev2/D4a and D5 released to
                   WG (Thanks to Joe Schumacher, Itzik
                   Kitroser, Ron Murias, and Joey Chou)
• 2008/06/06       LB#26d opened
• 2008/06/21 (AOE) LB#26d closed
• 2008/06/26       Call for reply comments opened
• 2008/07/09(AOE) Call for reply comments closed
        P802.16Rev2 documents

• P802.16Rev2/D5
  – P802.16Rev2/D4 as modified by IEEE 802.16-
    • (2040 pages; +74 pages wrt D4, 19.0 Mbytes)
                                   LB #26d
• On draft P802.16Rev2/D5
•   Ballot summary (
     –   242 Approved
     –   43 Disapproved
     –   Return Ratio: 87%  Return ratio met
     –   Approval Ratio: 85 %  Ballot is passing
•   Database IEEE 802.16-08/032 (on WG page)
     – 36 commenters
     – Stats:
        • Technical Binding:              108
        • Editorial Binding:              24
        • Technical Non-Binding:          47
        • Editorial Non-Binding:          7
        • Total:                          186
•   Database IEEE 802.16-08/032r1 (on WG page)
          •   910 reply comments from 6 commenters
          •   Technical Binding:          108
          •   Editorial Binding:          24
          •   Technical Non-Binding:      48
          •   Editorial Non-Binding:      7
          •   Total:                      187 (1 late comment)
• 50 contributions to be considered
                              LB #26d
• The following balloters submitted no technically binding comments on
  this recirc:
      Achim Brandt                   Arvind Raghavan
      Erik Colban                    Herbert Ruck
      Mark Cudak                     Gamini Senarath
      Shulan Feng                    Zheng Shang
      Mo-Han Fong                    Guo Qiang Wang
       David Johnston                Yanhong Wang
      Panyuh Joo*                    Xuyong Wu
      Sang Youb Kim                  Chengjie Xie
      Kyu Ha Lee                     Ling Xu
      Guangjie Li                    Yunsong Yang
      Jianmin Lu                     Frank Zhou
      Ronald Mao
      Scott Probasco

      *submitted no binding comments in LB26, LB26a, LB26b, LB26c   , LB26d
                         LB #26d

The following contributions will be rejected unless their
  format is corrected:


47 Contributions accepted for review.
    802.16 Maintenance Rapporteur Groups
•       Four Rapporteur groups to harmonize specific issues for
    –      HO                 (Chair: Stavros Tzavidas)
    –      MIMO               (Chair: Peiying Zhu)
    –      MBS                (Chair: Erik Colban)
    –      NetMan             (Chair: Joey Chou)

•       Charter and Scope (IEEE 802.16maint-08/015):
    –      to conduct discussions on their respective subjects with the intent to
           reach as much agreement as possible on various comments and
           contributions that are submitted or are intended to be submitted during
           Working Group Letter Ballot Recirculation #26d.

•       Limited discussions have been conducted on the 802.16 Maint TG

•       Reports and harmonized contributions expected this week.
               Proposed Maintenance Agenda
•   Monday 16:00-18:00, Centennial A
     –   Opening & Administration
     –   Approval of the Agenda
     –   Review (IEEE-SA Patent Slides)
     –   Approval of Minutes from Session #55 (IEEE 802.16maint-08/012)
     –   Reports from Rapporteur Group Chairs
     –   Detail the schedule for the week for the TG and the Rapporteur Groups
•   Tuesday 8:00-12:00, Centennial A
     –   TG: Resolve Comments on LB#26d in IEEE 802.16-08/032r1
•   Tuesday 13:00-18:00, Centennial A
     –   Rapporteur Group Sessions
•   Tuesday 19:30-22:00, Centennial A
     –   Rapporteur Group Sessions
•   Wednesday 8:00-12:00, Centennial A
     –   TG: Resolve Comments on LB#26d in IEEE 802.16-08/032r1
•   Wednesday 13:00-18:00, Centennial A
     –   TG: Resolve Comments on LB#26d in IEEE 802.16-08/032r1
•   Thursday 8:00-12:00, Centennial A
     –   TG: Resolve Comments on LB#26d in IEEE 802.16-08/032r1
•   Thursday 13:00-18:00, Centennial A
     –   Resolve Late Comments on LB#26d in IEEE 802.16-08/032r1
     –   Review schedule for Rev2
     –   Expected Motions:
          • “Authorize TG Editor to generate P802.16Rev2/D6 according to the comment resolutions in 80216-
          • “Authorize TG Chair to request the WG to open a Letter Ballot Recirc on P802.16Rev2/D6 as
              modified by comment resolutions in 80216-08_032r2.cmt.”
          • “Authorize TG Chair to make the motion to request from the EC for conditional approval to
              forward P802.16Rev2/D6 to Revcom for Sponsor Ballot”
     –   Closing
        Comment Resolution Strategy
• Review Comments according to topics (when still TBD):
   –   HO
   –   MIMO
   –   MBS
   –   NetMan
• Order of comment resolution:
   – Technically Binding Comments
   – Technically Non-binding Comments
• Determine a block of editorial comments for approval.
• Map out the week today for the Rapp Groups during Maint
  TG opening.
          Rev2 Development Plan
       between Session #56 and #57
• July 25: Generate and release Rev2/D5a (delta version),
  D6 (clean version)
• July 25: Initiate Confirmation LB #26e
• August 9: Close Confirmation LB #26e, AOE (~15 days)
• August 11: Submit the package to EC for SB
• August 18: SB opens
• Sept. 17: SB closes
• Sept. 16-19: Resolve comments at Session #57
                   Rev2 Strategy
• Goal to complete harmonization of the major topics this
• Next recirc planned to be a confirmation ballot  Need
  members to submit approval ballots if they no longer
• Request approval to go to Sponsor Ballot at 802 Plenary on
• Requires hard work, discipline and cooperation of the
                 Other Maint Business

• Rev 2 Sponsor Ballot Pool
   – Invitation was opened from May 15 to June 15, 2008
   – Balance requirements met:
       •   Academic                8         3.8%
       •   General Interest        69        32.5%
       •   Government/Military     3         1.4%
       •   Producer                98        46.2%
       •   User                    34        16.0%
       •   Total                   212       100.0%
              Other Maint Business

• Request for Interpretation
   – Received from Qian Xie through Rona I. Gertz (Manager, IEEE-
     SA Governance) on April 7, 2008
   – To draft a proposed response to be approved in the Maintenance
     Group this week.

Shared By: