Revising & Editing
How is revision different from editing?
Focus on Revision
• By making decisions about which opening you would like to
• By making certain you have added any missing information
• By making decisions about the characterization strategies you
• By making decisions about “showing”
Focus on Editing
• By making sure that quotations are punctuated properly
• By making sure that paragraphs are divided accurately
• By making sure that spelling is accurate
• By making sure that your sentences vary in structure and
• The Fall (First Draft)
– It was when I was six years old. I fell down a flight of stairs and broke my
arm. My mother was really upset because she said I was always in too much
of a hurry. She had to take me to the emergency room where they had to
put a cast on me.
• The Fall (Second Draft)
– My shoelace tangled around a nail in the carpet, and my elbow hit the
landing with a crack. I traveled head over heels down the stairwell until my
body came to a halt, barreling into my mother’s favorite vase positioned at
the foot of the stairs.
• Revision • Editing
___ I chose the most engaging ___ All of my quotations are
opening. punctuated properly.
___ I added missing information. ___ All paragraphs are accurately
___ I used characterization strategies. divided.
___ I used the “showing” strategy. ___ My spelling is accurate.
___ My sentence vary in structure and
Be Careful of Writing Felonies
• !!!!!!!!!! • Well, And, So,
• 2345 Because,
• Yeah • alot
• b/c, B4 • Abbreviations
• & • Once upon a time
• U • My name is, and my
• 4 story is about…
• o.k. • Arrows
• there, they’re, their • Dotting your i’s
• to, two, too • Computer & Text Slang