Are there dangers in cleaning toilets with chlorine products? by gigihkurnia

VIEWS: 14 PAGES: 2

									Are there dangers in cleaning toilets with chlorine products?
Chlorine is a strong oxidizing agent and is used in many toilet cleaning products.
Even though chloride ions are necessary for human beings, elemental chlorine is
extremely dangerous. When this toxic yellow-green gas (with concentrations above
30 ppm) is inhaled, it reacts with water and cells in the human body, thereby
producing hydrochloric acid and hypochlorous acid. Hydrochloric acid is highly
corrosive and can cause significant damage to the human body. Chlorine should not
be handled without a pair of protective gloves, proper ventilation and a face mask.


Inhalation of low concentrations of chlorine (30 ppm) usually causes coughing and
vomiting. Lungs may be damaged if the concentration is 60 ppm. Inhalation of high
concentrations (1000 ppm) can be fatal. Chlorine fumes are extremely dangerous for
people with respiratory problems and heart conditions.


This corrosive gas has the ability to bond with proteins in the hair, skin and scalp. It
causes significant damage to the skin and the eyes. If the hair is exposed to chlorine,
it becomes rough and brittle, and loses color. Chlorine is known to cause breast
cancer. Consumption of chlorine increases the risk of rectal and bladder cancer.


The National Safety Council recorded two cases which involved housewives using
chlorine products to clean the toilet. In an effort to increase the stain-removing ability
of their cleaning product, they mixed it with household bleach. This resulted in
immediate death of one housewife. The other recovered after spending a long time
in the hospital.


Mixing cleaning products containing chlorine with other cleaning products can result
in formation of chloramines. These derivatives of ammonia cause hemolytic anemia.
They also disrupt the normal functioning of the lungs. Inhalation of these chemicals
can result in burning of the mucous membrane.


Use of     chlorine-based cleaning products results in formation of               various
organochlorines. Exposure to these chemicals can cause severe skin rash, liver
damage and respiratory problems. Some of them are carcinogenic.
People clean their homes in an endeavor to keep our family members and pets
healthy and happy. Use of of cleaning products containing chlorine produces the
opposite effect. Before purchasing any cleaning product check the label to see if it
contains chlorine. Avoid using cleaning products which contain this harmful chemical.
Chlorine poisoning usually happens slowly, over a long period of time. To prevent
this, it is always advisable to "go green". Use natural cleaning products which are
made of ingredients from Mother Earth.


Source: Srikanth Radhakrishna (www.helium.com)

								
To top