Donate your vehicle to Goodwill
Why should I donate my vehicle to Goodwill?
• Your donation is tax deductible. Goodwill of Delaware and Delaware County, PA is a non-profit, 501(c)3
charitable organization. Per H.R.4520, the donor may claim the gross sale amount that Goodwill receives from the
automobile for amounts over $500.00 (You will receive a statement from Goodwill within 30 days of the date the
vehicle was sold, which is to be used for tax purposes). Vehicles selling for less may be claimed based on the value of
the vehicle up to $500. Under this same law Goodwill is required to collect your taxpayer ID # at the time of donation
as this must be on the statement we issue to you.
• Convenience. Goodwill has 14 convenient locations throughout Delaware and Delaware County, PA where you can
donate your vehicle. Goodwill will tow your vehicle from anywhere in Delaware, Delaware County, PA or Cecil
County, MD for FREE!
• Help your community. Goodwill operates the only non-profit car auction in Delaware. That means 100% of the
revenue generated from the sale of vehicles goes directly to support Goodwill’s mission— providing vocational
training and job placement services to people who have a disability or other barriers to self-sufficiency.
What should I do with my tag? It is recommended that you turn your tag into the Department of Motor Vehicles
(DMV) along with the Seller’s Report (Delaware titles) and registration. Pennsylvania residents should contact the Motor
Vehicle Department in Harrisburg to advise them that the vehicle was donated. Maryland residents are required to turn their
tags in to the Maryland Motor Vehicles. All other states, please check with your local Motor Vehicle Department.
What does Goodwill do with the vehicle I donate? Donated vehicles are sold in a public auction
held at The Goodwill Center at 300 East Lea Boulevard in Wilmington, Delaware, the first Wednesday of each month.
What types of vehicles does Goodwill accept? Cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, campers—just about
any vehicle you care to donate, including non-running cars.
What do I have to do?
• Empty your vehicle of all personal belongings.
• Take it to the nearest Goodwill location during business hours (Your vehicle can be driven to one of our locations
or we will tow it for free. Vehicles are usually towed within 7-10 business days).
• Vehicle need not run, but must be accessible for towing.
• Bring your title, driver’s license or state ID (title must be in donor’s name and free of any liens).
• Bring your keys to the vehicle (we cannot accept a car without keys).
• Note the exact mileage of the vehicle. You will be required to sign a form attesting to the mileage.
Contact us directly.
Our experienced staff will be happy to answer your questions!
Goodwill of Delaware & Delaware County, Inc.
300 East Lea Boulevard, Wilmington, DE 19802
Phone (302) 504-5731
FAX (302) 761-4649