Adoption Checklist for social workers 2
MATCHING & PROPOSING A PLACEMENT
Many of the tasks below will be worked at the same time.
All forms are available on the Children’s shared drive (‘Section 4 LAC’ – ‘Adoption’ – ‘Matching’) unless otherwise stated (i.e. ‘hard copy’).
A copy of the Adoption Procedures is available on the Children’s Shared Drive. Workers should refer to “Family Finding Information Section”
Actions highlighted in bold, can be completed by the authorised administrative officer
If you have not attended the Adoption Panel before you can ask to observe a panel meeting beforehand (contact Central Adoption Services, Kroner
Action required to be undertaken Timescale Responsibility & format Date of
1. Child’s Social Worker and Link Adoption SW meet at Workers may start to plan prior to Child’s social worker. Matching
earliest stage to plan family finding and clarify matching Agency agreeing to placement of Considerations
considerations. child for adoption at Panel
Advertising a child as available for
adoption cannot take place until
the Placement Order has been
granted unless the authorisation of
the court has been given
2. Family finding, if not already started, now begins. Initially A match with suitable adopters to be SOCIAL WORKER FOR ADOPTION
in house unless there are specific cultural, disability, recommended by panel within 6 RESOURCES (SWAR) - liaise with
ethnicity, religious needs (or sibling group/older child) etc months of the court’s final decision on CSW/ADOPTION LINK WORKER
that Kent may not have an appropriate match for. the adoption care plan
3. Adoption & Special Guardianship Support Board will Once minutes are agreed by the CENTRAL PANEL TEAM
have noted Panel minutes. following relevant Panel meeting, will
Only if child has high level of need e.g. disability, will be sent to CSW for child’s file, and
Board recommend to District Manager that family finding copied to Board Administrator
is carried out on basis of early discussion of payment of
financial support (dependent on means test of applicants)
4. If not possible to match through Kent resources, then 20 working days after Agency SOCIAL WORKER FOR ADOPTION
Checklist 2 - Matching
case is referred to Adoption South East Consortium Decision RESOURCES (SWAR)
5. If Social Worker for Adoption Resources confirms no As soon as delay looks likely, CSW
Kent or Consortium match likely then short report should (particularly if sibling group, disability,
be made to the Adoption & Special Guardianship Support older child, or specific cultural,
Board setting out need for inter agency funding & ethnicity, religious needs etc) but no
publicity later than 3 months after Placement
Adoption & SG Support Board will make recommendation Order made
to District Manager, who takes decision on funding
6. CPR to National Adoption Register after 3 months if no 3 months after Placement Order SOCIAL WORKER FOR ADOPTION
match in view made RESOURCES (SWAR)
7. A statutory review must be held within 3 months of the Within 3 months of Placement Order IRO/CSW
Placement Order (or witnessed consent) if the child is not
yet placed for adoption.
8. A further statutory review must be held within another 6 Within 9 months of the Placement IRO/CSW
months if the child is not yet placed. If the plan changes Order.
then the case must be returned to the panel for the
adoption plan to be withdrawn
9. Needs/Life Appreciation Meeting recommended if child Prior to selection of prospective Adoption Link Worker and Child's
has had multiple placements adoptive family social worker - (current/past
carers/professionals). C/Fams Admin
10. Profile and photo of child inserted in Family for Life book Following Placement Order (consent of CSW to write and send to Central
parent, or budget holder essential) Panel Team
Child’s Social Worker
11. Life Story and preparation work with the child continues. Prior to placement
12. Child’s social worker & Link Adoption Worker receive When available Social Worker Adoption Resources
Prospective Aopters Rports (PARs) (SWAR)
13. Child’s social worker & Link Adoption Worker meet to 20 working days are given to consider Child’s Social Worker arranges
short list prospective adopters (see matching Form Fs meeting
considerations) n.b. a one to one meeting should take
14. For PARS that are not chosen, Link Adoption Worker In meeting to consider Form Fs. Authorised SSA returns to SWAR.
and child's Social Worker complete 'Reasons for not
selecting' Form and returns this to Social Worker for
15. Any copies of non - selected PARs are shredded Within a week of meeting Authorised SSA
16. If there is disagreement about the selection, both Straight after meeting Practice Supervisors Adoption &
workers should discuss with supervisors, who will liaise. C/Fams
17. Ensure agreement has been obtained in principle to the Preferably during the placement for CSW
likely financial and practical adoption support needs adoption decision process (see
before visiting short listed families previous checklist). If a Kent family,
initial consideration of eligibility for
Checklist 2 - Matching
financial support will have taken place
at approval stage*.
18. Visits to potential adopters (practice guidance) Prior to matching meeting Child's Social Worker and supervisor
(or Adoption Link Worker), and
adopter’s social worker
19. If all agree there are reasons not to proceed with any Prior to matching meeting Child’s Social worker, their supervisor
prospective families following the visits, then their and the adoption link worker.
worker, and the Social Worker for Adoption Resources
should be advised of the reasons. Otherwise proceed to
next stages with possibilities.
20. Current carer visits potential adopters with child’s social Prior to matching meeting Child's Social Worker. Inform
worker. Social worker for potential adopters in Fostering Social worker.
attendance. (practice guidance)
21. Adoption Placement Meeting to consider matching takes Prior to completing Adoption Authorised SSA arranges
place to consider potential families, chaired by Adoption Placement Report
Team leader/Practice Superviser Foster carers and
prospective adopter's social workers attend.
22. The prospective adopters views about the placement, Prior to completing Adoption Child’s social worker and the adopter’s
contact arrangements, including a pre-placement Placement Report social worker.
meeting with birth parents, and sharing of parental
responsibility should be sought.
23. Adoption Placement Report and adoption support Between matching meeting and Child’s social worker. Adoption
proposal prepared adoption panel consideration of match. Placement Report & Adoption Support
24. Adoption &.SG support team consulted about adoption Consultation with Adoption Support Child’s social worker and Adoption
support proposals & KISKA about any contact team should take place as soon as Link worker
arrangements. match is being considered
25. If there is an assessed need for financial support early in Between matching meeting and Adoption Support Plan/Matching meeting
the placement the Proposed Adoption Support Plan, the adoption panel consideration of match. minutes/Adoption Placement Report/AA2.
Adoption Placement Report, the AA2 (signed by the
District Manager) and the minutes of the matching
meeting should be sent to the administrator of the
Adoption & Special Guardianship Support Board
26. The District Manager notifies the Child’s social worker of Child’s social worker/Adoption Social
his/her decision regarding financial support, and the Worker
Adoption social worker arranges for the Adopters to sign
the proposed support plan
27. If there is no current assessed need for financial support Child’s social worker
the Adoption Support Plan is completed to reflect any
Checklist 2 - Matching
other support provision and submitted directly to the
Central Adoption Panel team with the other papers (see
28. KISKA consulted if contact proposals other than Between matching meeting and Child’s Social Worker. Adoption
straightforward letterbox. adoption panel consideration of match. Support Proposal.
29. All relevant written information about the child including Prior to submitting papers to Panel Child's Social Worker and Adoption
the updated Child’s Permanence Report, medical team. Adopters have a maximum of Link Worker
reports, educational information, and the Adoption 10 working days to comment on the
Placement Report and Adoption Support Plan to be APR.
provided to prospective adopters
30. Adopters must sign Adoption Support Plan and Within 10 working days. Adoption Social Worker
Placement Report if they agree with it, and have
discussed the proposed sharing of parental responsibility
on placement of the child
31. Papers submitted to Panel team for match to be heard at All papers must be in by deadline for Child's social worker.
panel which recommended the adoption plan (NB case to be heard. Child's medicals,
exception if child is under 1 year, and placement would and those of adopters should have
be delayed if local panel not available) been completed within 6 months of the Adoption social worker ensures Form
Adoption Placement Report panel date, or within 12 months if the F and adopters medicals are updated.
Parental Responsibility Checklist child is over 5
Adoption Support Plan
Updated Annex to form C/D
Current School report
Medicals (up)dated for adopters
IHA/RHA medical dated within 6 months of panel
Updated Prospective Adopters Report (PAR)
32. Adoption Panel considers the match, and may advise on Child should be matched within 6 Child’s social worker, and their
contact proposals. months of agency deciding child supervisor where appropriate, plus
should be placed. Adopter’s social worker attend panel
with the prospective adopters.
33. Agency Decision Maker considers match Within 7 working days of the Panel Agency Decision Maker and Panel
34. Agency Decision maker’s decision and views should be Within 7 working days of Agency Adoption Panel and Resources Team
recorded on the child’s and the prospective adopter’s Decision. send to child and adopter’s social
case records. workers.
Checklist 2 - Matching
35. If the Decision Maker is minded not to agree with the Within 7 working days of the Panel Agency Decision Maker and Agency
Panel recommendation s/he will discuss further. Recommendation Adviser to the Adoption Panels.
36. Life Story work and Preparation of child continues Preparation for specific placement can Child’s social worker
commence as soon as decision maker
has agreed match.
37. Parents with legal responsibility and child (if of sufficient Within 24 hours of recommendation, Child's social worker
age/understanding) to be informed verbally within 24 and of Agency decision.
hours of panel recommendation, and Agency decision
38. Parents with legal responsibility and child (if of sufficient Within 5 working days of Agency Adoption Panel and Resources Team
age/understanding) to be notified in writing of Agency Decision.
39. Where there is a Placement Order parents are not Not necessary however social worker Child’s social worker to notify Adoption
notified if they have signed a declaration that they wish should advise Panel team prior to Panel and Resources Team.
not to be informed Panel.
40. Current foster carers told of Agency Decision verbally. Within 24 hours of Panel Child's social worker
Recommendation and Agency
41. If child fostered with prospective adoptive parents, Within 5 working days of Agency Child's social worker
written notice of start of adoptive placement decision.
42. Notification to fostering payment section immediately to Immediately after agency decision Child’s Social Worker
avoid overpayment if current carers are adopting.
43. Copy of Panel minute and Agency Decision maker Following the next meeting of the Adoption Panel and Resources Team
comments put on child's adoption record once ratified, Panel will send to
Ensure selected adopter’s Form F is filed on child’s C/Fams Admin. Admin to check
record. filing is completed.
44. K.I.S.K.A & Adoption/SG Support Team notified of See contact policy – any arrangements Child's social worker
agreed match, and the proposed contact arrangements other than letterbox should be
(Contact Policy). discussed with KISKA in the planning
45. Inter-Agency meeting, if Consortium or other inter Can follow Panel Adoption Team leader
agency placement (H1/H2)
Please note this procedural table should be read alongside the Adoption procedures & flow charts, and the Contact Policy &
It is the second of 3. The pre panel process and placement process are printed as separate checklists. Practitioners may find the
Adoption & Children Act training workbook useful (see below)
Many timescales given are set by the statutory guidance which accompanies the Regulations. If there is good reason for the
timescale being exceeded this should be discussed in supervision and recorded.
Checklist 2 - Matching
Central Adoption Panel Team Tel: 01233 898619
E-mail: _CFE Adoption Panel
Social Worker for Adoption Resources Tel: 01233 658616
Adoption & Special Guardianship Support Team Tel: 01795 566227
Kent Independent Support for Kinship & Adoption Tel: 01622 693692
(NCH) E-mail: Kiska@actionforchildren.org.uk
West Kent Adoption Team Tel: 01732 525320
E-mail: Adoption Duty West Kent – CFE
East/Mid Kent Adoption Team Tel: 01233 658633
E-mail: Adoption Duty East Kent - CFE
Policy & Performance Officer (LAC)
Adoption & Fostering 01622 694696
Sessions House, Maidstone E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Checklist 2 - Matching