Click to edit Master subtitle style
• Research the prevalence of Autism Spectrum
– Provide low-cost or free of charge screening of
individuals for ASD to obtain more accurate data
with regard to prevalence. The goal is to find out
how many children and adults are affected. Based
on this data, we can then establish learning
facilities for affected individuals. Individuals with
ASD learn very differently from neurotypical
individuals. The curriculum catering to people
with ASD must include Cognitive-Behavioral
• The most common misdiagnosis for Asperger’s and High Functioning Autism is ADHD
• Psychotropic drugs (stimulants) are not necessarily needed if ADHD is part of Autism Spectrum Disorders.
Often, low dose antidepressants may be effective and all that is needed, which would reduce the risk of
the escalating abuse of psychotropic drugs
• Children are generally diagnosed under the age of 7
• Asperger’s and high-functioning autistic kids are 7 times more likely to get in trouble with the law
• Many correctional and law enforcement staff estimate the inmate population with known ADHD and other
behavioral disorders to be somewhere between 50% and 70%
• At the cost of housing 125,000 inmates at $24,000.00 each year in the State of Florida alone, the burden
to the taxpayer is staggering. Rehabilitating only a small percentage would result in major savings to
taxpayers in addition to generating new tax paying revenue because the same individuals are now
productive tax paying citizens.
• Based on these numbers, we are spending roughly 3 billion dollars annually to house inmates. Even if we
were to assume the prevalence as indicated by the CDC of 1 in 100, rehabilitating 1 percent would save
the state roughly 300,000,000.
• Also, I have been nominated to replace Hosea Pittman on the CDAC board.
What is the result of ignoring the
• Individuals on the Autism Spectrum lack
important social functions, such as empathy
and are generally somewhat detached from
• Repeated incarceration forces these
individuals to further detach from their
emotions and there is a risk of such individuals
becoming sociopaths rather than productive
members of society.
What are the different
components of the program?
• Training law enforcement and correctional
staff to recognize individuals who may be
• Screen non-violent offenders with an
approved screening tool for Autism Spectrum
• Refer candidates for possible autism spectrum
disorders to qualified neuropsychologists for a
• Refer diagnosed individuals to a rehabilitation
What can you do?
• We desperately need your support.
• We need to find a point within the criminal
justice process to screen these individuals.
• A possible entry point could be during the psi
This presentation has been reviewed and
• Dr. Brett Turner, Psy.D
Licensed Psychologist, Adjunct Professor in
Psychology, UWF, Private Practice in Clinical
• Leasha M. Barry, PhD, BCBA-D
Asperger’s Syndrome and Autism Research and
Rehabilitation Institute, Inc.