ARMY-COMMUNITY HERITAGE PARTNERSHIPS PROGRAM
ESTABLISHMENT OF A-CHPP
The Army-Community Heritage Partnerships Program (A-CHPP) was developed by the
Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Army for Privatization & Partnerships
(ODASAP&P) in conjunction with the Main Street Center – a program of the National
Trust for Historic Preservation. The initiative is intended to strengthen the ties (economic,
historic, and social) between Army installations and neighboring communities by
providing a program of technical services and training in preservation-based economic
• Serve the needs of the Army “family” (military, their families, retirees, civilian
employees, and visitors to the installation) by enhancing shopping and entertainment
opportunities, product availability, and services offered in the adjacent historic
• Encourage increased economic vitality in the adjacent historic commercial districts by
analyzing the market opportunities afforded by those associated with the Army
installations and by developing strategies that take advantage of those conditions.
• Create visual and physical linkages between the historic buildings and cultural
heritage of the Army installation and the development of the adjacent historic
• Investigate the potential for a heritage tourism strategy that would benefit economic
conditions in adjacent historic commercial districts and add value and opportunities
for reuse of historic buildings on Army installations.
PROCESS FOR IMPLEMENTATION
The following is the process for implementing the program at each of the selected Army-
Community Heritage Partnership sites:
• The National Trust Main Street Center (NTMSC) and the Army work with the
community and installation to identify individuals who could provide support to the
A-CHPP initiative and bring those individuals together under a united Army-
Community Heritage Partnership Team.
• The NTMSC develops a scope of technical assistance services and trainings for each
of the sites that fit the needs of the community and the installation.
• The NTMSC helps each Partnership Team define market needs for the Army family,
determines how those needs can be better met by the downtown’s existing businesses,
examines the potential for redevelopment of downtown buildings for expanded retail
use and housing, and identifies opportunities for future business growth.
• The NTMSC works with each Partnership Team to develop a heritage tourism
strategy that would lead to reinvestment in downtown historic structures and at the
installation and would encourage the establishment of new businesses in the
downtown district that would appeal to a visitor market.
SERVICES PROVIDED TO EACH PARTNER SITE
In order to accomplish objectives, the Main Street Center and the Army’s Office of
Historic Properties (OHP) tailored a program of technical assistance and training
focusing on commercial district revitalization to be provided to Partnership Teams at
each selected site. The services delivered also included training in heritage tourism
strategies so that the historic and cultural assets at the installation could be more closely
linked with those in the community and the region. An expanded heritage tourism
initiative results in better economic conditions for the community and enhances the
public view of the military mission at the installation. These purposes are consistent with
Presidential Executive Order 13287, March 3, 2003, Preserve America.
• A two-day Introductory Visit to community and installation to define Partnership
Team and build consensus
• A three-day Commercial District Assessment Visit and follow-up report with
recommendations for strategies.
• Market Survey assistance and analysis of the Army family markets for the downtown.
• Four days of on-site work plan facilitation services.
• Continuing organizational development assistance to the Partnership Team and Task
• A three-day Heritage Tourism Visit to develop strategies for strengthening and
expanding the community’s and the installation’s visitor potential.
• Four days of specialist technical assistance using consultant expertise that matches
the community’s needs.
SELECTION OF SITES
2003 - A-CHPP began when the Army’s OHP and the NTMSC selected three Army-
Community sites: Fort Leavenworth/Leavenworth, KS, West Point/Highland Falls, NY,
and Fort Benning/ Columbus, GA.
2004 - The program was expanded to three additional Army-Community sites: Fort
Huachuca/Sierra Vista, AZ, Carlisle Barracks/Carlisle, PA, and Fort Riley/Junction City,
2006 - The program was extended to two more Army Community sites: Fort
Bragg/Fayetteville, NC, and Fort Lee/Petersburg and the third site of this group – Fort
Stewart/Hinesville, Georgia – was selected in 2007.
2007 - 2008 – The program was once again extended to include: Fort Polk-Leesville,
Louisiana, and Fort Knox-Elizabethtown, Kentucky.
2003-2006 SITES THAT HAVE COMPLETED THE PROGRAM:
Highland Falls, New York, and the U.S. Military Academy (West Point)
Leavenworth, Kansas and Fort Leavenworth
Columbus, Georgia, and Fort Benning
Sierra Vista, Arizona, and Fort Huachuca
Borough of Carlisle, Pennsylvania, and Carlisle Barracks
Junction City, Kansas, and Fort Riley
2006-2007 SITES CURRENTLY PARTICIPATING IN THE PROGRAM:
Fayetteville, North Carolina and Ft. Bragg
Petersburg, Virginia and Ft. Lee
Hinesville, Georgia and Fort Stewart
2007-2008 SITES CURRENTLY PARTICIPATING IN THE PROGRAM:
Leesville, Louisiana and Fort Polk
Elizabethtown, Kentucky and Fort Knox
DESCRIPTION OF FIRST NINE SITES AND OUTCOMES FROM PARTICIPATION
LEAVENWORTH, KANSAS AND FORT LEAVENWORTH
Fort Leavenworth, the oldest continuously operating U.S. Army installation west of the
Mississippi, is beautifully situated, with amazing historic architecture and an abundance
of natural resources. The historic post is the home of the U.S. Army’s Combined Arms
Center. The Fort serves as a Command and General Staff College (CGSC) for advanced
officer training and as a Training and Doctrine Command school. A number of
international officers from many different countries attend classes, bringing their families
and a unique cultural mix into the community. Fort Leavenworth includes a National
Historic Landmark District (NHLD), with 231 buildings within 213 acres and 6 Historic
buildings outside the NHLD. This district is considered one of the most significant
NHLDs in the U.S. Army.
Leavenworth, the largest city and county seat of Leavenworth County, is situated along
the banks of the Missouri River in the rolling hills of northeastern Kansas. It was the first
city incorporated in Kansas and is proud of its history. The downtown district includes
numerous historic and architectural assets. There is strong City and community
commitment to historic preservation. Recently two downtown districts were designated
as historic. And five additional historic districts were created in residential areas abutting
the downtown district. The City has actively encouraged riverfront development and has
created a system of linear parks and walkways along the river in downtown Leavenworth.
OUTCOMES FROM LEAVENWORTH’S PARTICIPATION IN A-CHPP
• Grassroots dialogue begun between the Fort and the downtown community initiated,
enabling business owners to better understand the needs of the Army family, how to
serve those needs, and how to better market their products.
• Plans started to improve physical linkages between the community and the Fort –
particularly through a riverfront trail system connecting downtown with the fort.
• Improvements in the 7th Street corridor, leading from the Fort into the downtown,
• Partnership Team members learned strategies for rehabbing and reusing a downtown
factory building for conversion to a residential complex and gained a better
understanding of how to create space residential space within the complex that would
be suitable for active and retired military.
• Training from NTMSC representatives re-energized the local Main Street
organization’s volunteer base, moved them into new work areas, and gave them a
fresh perspective on the Fort-community relationship. The City gained new respect
for the local Main Street organization because of the way it assumed responsibility
for projects initiated by the Partnership program.
• Heritage Tourism specialists assisted the community and the Fort by demonstrating
how the historic, cultural, and heritage assets in the community and at the Fort could
be used to develop marketing strategies to attract visitors.
HIGHLAND FALLS, NEW YORK AND WEST POINT MILITARY ACADEMY
West Point, home to the oldest military academy in the United States and the oldest
continuing garrison in the country, is sited on 16,000 acres, with a spectacular view of the
Hudson River. Notable military leaders who have attended West Point include Jefferson
Davis, Robert E. Lee, Ulysses S. Grant, John Pershing, Douglas MacArthur, George
Patton, Dwight Eisenhower, and Norman Schwarzkopf. Women were first admitted into
the Academy in 1976 and presently represent about 16% of the cadets. Through the years,
international cadets have come to the Academy from more than 50 countries.
Approximately 1200 new cadets enter the academy each year to pursue studies within
three program fields. West Point, which has been noted as the second major tourism
attraction in New York State, contains more than 500 historic properties included in a
National Register Historic District.
Highland Falls, a quaint and charming village, incorporated in 1906, is located on the
banks of the Hudson River. Situated directly outside the gates of the West Point Military
Academy, it has rightly earned the name "Historic Gateway to West Point.“ Some
individual buildings in downtown Highland Falls are on the National Register, but no
National Register Historic District has been established. The Village of Highland Falls,
and the many surrounding attractions in the area, are just 50 miles from New York City
and easily accessible by bus, car, train or boat. The proximity of West Point provides the
Village’s Main Street businesses with excellent opportunities to attract the visitor market.
OUTCOMES FROM WEST POINT-HIGHLAND FALLS PARTICIPATION
• A non-profit Local Development Corporation (LDC) was established to carry on
downtown revitalization work within the Village of Highland Falls.
• The Highlands Chamber of Commerce was created to represent business interests and
to work on business retention and recruitment issues for Highland Falls.
• Hannibal, a bronze mule statue, was placed in the median area of Main Street
between the Military Academy and the downtown business district, drawing lots of
attention from visitors -- particularly children.
• A new downtown festival celebrating Hannibal the mule’s birthday was successfully
launched, further strengthening the connection between West Point and the
downtown business district.
• A Highland Falls website, promoting the community, downtown shopping, lodging,
regional attractions, and activities at the Military Academy was established.
• A banner program was mounted and marks the entire length of Main Street.
• A matching grant program resulted in several downtown building facades being
• Benches and new trash receptacles were placed in the downtown.
COLUMBUS, GEORGIA, AND FORT BENNING
Fort Benning is a self-sustaining military community supporting in excess of 100,000
military, family members, soldiers, retirees, and civilian employees on a daily basis. The
post is the home of the US Army Infantry School, the Western Hemisphere Institute for
Security Cooperation, the headquarters of the 75th Ranger Regiment, and numerous other
units. Throughout the years, a number of outstanding generals have trained through the
command structure at Fort Benning’s Infantry School, the largest educational institution
in the state. Construction of the new Infantry Museum is expected to bring 300,000
visitors, resulting in a $40 million impact on the region’s economy.
Columbus and Fort Benning have a longstanding tradition of cooperation and mutual
support with the military being thoroughly integrated into all aspects of Columbus
community life. Both downtown Columbus (known as “Uptown”) and the Fort have
significant cultural heritage tourism assets that can be a draw for visitors, including:
historic and heritage sites, heritage events, visual and performing arts, natural,
environmental, and recreational assets, military heritage attractions, and historic
architecture. Columbus also has several historic districts in place. The community and the
post worked together to establish the Riverwalk—a phenomenal, landscaped riverside
walking/biking trail along the Chattahoochee River that from the Uptown commercial
district some 14 miles to Fort Benning.
OUTCOMES FROM COLUMBUS-FORT BENNING PARTICIPATION
• A-CHPP moved Columbus and Fort Benning to a higher level of direct coordination
of activities between downtown organizations and the Fort.
• Specialist technical assistance delivered by specialists brought in by the NTMSC
resulted in action plans in five major areas: transportation linkages, marketing,
business development, heritage tourism and upper story development
• Survey work and analysis provided important information on how to market and
promote to the Army family and how to better serve their needs.
• Recommendations resulting from A-CHPP visits resulted in an action plan for upper
story development, with strategies for fixing inadequate fire laterals and water mains,
resolving code enforcement and parking issues, and encouraging loft apartments and
development of upper story office space.
• Responsible hospitality experts, brought in by A-CHPP, provided recommendations
for development of a hospitality and entertainment environment that matches
demographics, market forces and concerns of the community for public safety and
quality of life issues.
• The A-CHP Heritage Tourism team visit provided an action plan for creating a
compelling experience for cultural heritage travelers to the Columbus/Fort Benning
area and recommendations for Uptown businesses to take advantage of economic and
business development opportunities generated by cultural heritage tourism.
SIERRA VISTA AND FORT HUACHUCA, ARIZONA
Fort Huachuca has an outstanding physical location in the foothills of the Huachuca
Mountains in southeastern Arizona, on the edge of the Mexican border. The post serves
as a proving ground for electronic weaponry, a home station for the U.S. Army’s
emergency communications units, the headquarters of the Army’s major communications
command, and the center for all military intelligence training. Besides its beautiful
natural environment, Fort Huachuca’s acreage includes many historic buildings and three
350 prehistoric/historic archeological sites. One historic structure on the Fort Huachuca
grounds, which the Southwest Association of Buffalo Soldiers is attempting to
rehabilitate and reuse, is the Mountain View Officers Club -- the only remaining structure
from a large 1940s African-American cantonment.
Sierra Vista is the main commercial, cultural and recreational hub for southeastern
Arizona. Physical beauty, ideal climate, and quality of life make Sierra Vista an
extremely attractive place to live and work. Retirees, military and otherwise, have been
flocking to the area to enjoy these attributes. Many of the military retirees are well
integrated into community life. At the time of City’s incorporation in 1956, the
downtown district, now known as the “West End, was the only shopping district in town.
Enormous population growth in the last 50 years has caused residential and commercial
expansion to move further east of the original downtown district, along Fry Boulevard,
blurring the distinctive eastern “edge” of the historic downtown district.
OUTCOMES FROM SIERRA VISTA-FORT HUACHUCA PARTICIPATION
• CVB published three brochures that featured Sierra Vista and Fort Huachuca. The
brochures and restaurant menu binders are distributed in West End hotels.
• Heritage Tourism task force urged the City to purchase privately-owned Fry
Cemetery, at the edge of the downtown district and got a grant to restore it.
• Downtown business owners incorporated a non-profit “West End Association” and
City hired a downtown manager who works directly on revitalization projects.
• Downtown Neighborhood Commission mounted the first-ever Block Party on Fry
Blvd. as part of the City’s 50th birthday. An estimated 3,000 people attended.
• A large amount of private investment in real estate development projects is occurring
on Garden Ave. and along Fry Blvd in the West End.
• An Infill District Ordinance was passed for the West End as a follow-up to a
recommendation made by an A-CHPP design specialist.
• City received a grant to provide rock wall landscaping elements at the entranceway to
West End (opposite the Fort’s main gate). Rock walls mimic those at the Fort’s
entrance. Plans/drawings provided by A-CHP design consultant.
• Restoration plans for Black Officers Club completed; Army lease to the SWABS in
process; funds raised to rehab the facility; and building nominated for National
BOROUGH OF CARLISLE, PENNSYLVANIA AND CARLISLE BARRACKS
Carlisle Barracks is the home of the U.S. Army War College, the senior educational
institution of the Army. The post maintains a typical daily population of 4,365. In pursuit
of its mission to prepare selected military, civilian, and international leaders for the
responsibilities of strategic leadership, the U.S. Army War College administers a series of
educational and research organizations: Center for Strategic Leadership, Strategic Studies
Institute, Army Physical Fitness Research, and Army Heritage and Education Center
(AHEC). Carlisle Barracks is the second-oldest continually operating Army post in the
nation – dating to Revolutionary War times. Today there are three major designated
historic districts within Carlisle Barracks boundaries that mark the social, cultural and
architectural heritage of the post.
The community of Carlisle, in Pennsylvania’s Cumberland Valley, 20 miles from the
Harrisburg state capitol, began as a trading post in 1720 and was incorporated as a
borough in 1782. Today, Carlisle has a population of more than 18,000. A number of
organizational resources are located in Carlisle, including the Downtown Carlisle
Association, a Main Street program. There are several institutional assets, primary among
them are the two colleges that abut the downtown commercial district: Dickinson College
and the Dickinson School of Law. Numerous cultural, historic, recreational attractions are
within the downtown district or a very short distance from downtown. The downtown
Historic District is a prime attraction, with its remarkable collection of 18th and 19th
century residential and commercial structures.
OUTCOMES FROM CARLISLE-CARLISLE BARRACKS PARTICIPATION
• Installation of new way-finding and directional signage throughout town that included
downtown as well as Carlisle Barracks attractions.
• The Army Heritage and Education Center Trail and public offerings were
• A-CHP served as the nexus for creation of the High I, a Carlisle board that has
financial capability to accomplish large tasks that lead to expanded business
development and the rehabilitation of buildings
• Visitors Guide (with a section on Carlisle Barracks) was complete and a Visitors
Center was established on No. Hanover and staffed from May-Nov.
• A hugely successful community-led downtown street festival called the “Welcome
Jam,” opened the town to incoming US Army War College students.
• A retail coordinator was hired by High I to work at the Downtown Carlisle
Association, thus establishing a professional strategy for retail recruitment.
• Downtown business owners became more aware of those they serve at the Barracks
and the Army family became familiar with the downtown offerings. Barracks public
affairs office is now well connected to downtown happenings.
• Retail merchandising specialist, brought in by A-CHPP did a seminar and worked
directly with individual business owners. The event and his visits to merchants were
very well received.
JUNCTION CITY, KANSAS AND FORT RILEY
Fort Riley was established in 1853 on a broad plain overlooking the Kansas River
Valley, at the junction of the Republican and Smoky Hill Rivers. In contemporary times,
Fort Riley has served as a training center for soldiers during all of the major wars of the
20th century. Today, Fort Riley is home to the headquarters of the 24th Infantry Division
as well as brigades of the 1st Infantry Division, 1st Armored Division and 937th Engineer
Group. The original buildings on the post were erected of native limestone and, taken
together, represent an amazing collection of architectural treasures. The Main Post
National Historic District covers 640 acres and contains over 500 buildings. Additionally
there are 19 buildings outside the Main Post National Historic District that are either
listed on the National Register of Historic Places or deemed eligible for listing.
Junction City, incorporated in 1859 and the County seat for Geary County, is known as
“Fort Riley’s hometown.” The total population for Junction City is 18,886; with the
combined population for Junction City and Geary County being 27,947. Junction City’s
citizens represent nationalities from around the world, making the community one of the
most culturally diverse in Kansas. Like Fort Riley, downtown Junction City has an
outstanding collection of historic limestone buildings—exhibiting some of the finest
stonework construction in Kansas. A number of historic and cultural sites are located in
downtown Junction City, including the Buffalo Soldier Memorial, the Civil War
Memorial Arch, the Geary County Historical Museum and the Opera House.
OUTCOMES FROM JUNCTION CITY-FORT RILEY PARTICIPATION
• Upper story housing increased and an infill townhouse project was built, adding more
residents to the downtown
• Rehabilitation of historic Bartell House hotel into upper story senior housing nearing
• Restaurant development (brewery/pub) to open on first floor of Bartell House in April
• A national Register historic District was established in the downtown, increasing the
use of historic tax credits for rehab of properties.
• Design specialist provided by A-CHPP created enthusiasm for rehab of unutilized
space, resulting in the conversation of the rear of a commercial building into a coffee
shop and the rehab of an upper story for apartment use.
• New businesses opened – jewelry store, clothing store, photography studio
• City and school district partnered through a business technology project to set up a
soda fountain in downtown vacant space, to be run by high school students.
• Way-finding signs were installed along entrances into downtown and within the
downtown district; a banner system was also installed.
• Junction City and Fort Riley are linked in promotional materials produced by the
CVB, through DVDs, tours, brochures
FAYETTEVILLE, NORTH CAROLINA AND FORT BRAGG
Fort Bragg, initially established as “Camp Bragg” in 1918, is located twelve miles
northwest of the City of Fayetteville. A major expansion occurred at the Fort when the
U.S. entered into World War II, with the fort’s population exploding to more than
100,000. Today, Fort Bragg is the headquarters of the XVIII Airborne Corps and the
home of America’s “Guard of Honor,” the 82nd Airborne Division. It is also the home of
the U.S. Army Special Operations Command Headquarters. Two historic districts exist
within Fort Bragg -- the Overhills Historic District and the Old Post Historic District. The
$22.5 million Airborne and Special Operations Museum (ASOM), located in the
downtown district, opened its doors in 2000. The museum is a highlight attraction for
visitors to the area.
Fayetteville, the seat for Cumberland County, was established in 1778. During the
colonial period, Fayetteville established itself as a “river town” because of its
accessibility to the navigable Cape Fear River. Before the establishment of Raleigh, the
city served as the state capital. Fayetteville’s current population of about 172,000 ranks it
as the sixth largest municipality in North Carolina. The downtown commercial core is a
National Register Historic District which encompasses approximately twenty-one blocks
centering on the Market House Square. A Linear Park, being constructed along Cross
Creek, wends its way around the downtown commercial district. Completion of the $10
million construction of Festival Park, which includes 16 acres on the banks of Cross
Creek, will provide a downtown location for a number of community events.
PETERSBURG, VIRGINIA AND FORT LEE
Fort Lee, the “Home of Logistics,” was given permanent status in 1950. After the
Korean War, an ambitious permanent building program was established. During this
period, also, the Quartermaster School expanded and training activity intensified within
the Quartermaster Corps. In July 1973, Fort Lee came under the control of the U.S. Army
Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC). Today Fort Lee’s major units include:
Combined Arms Support Command (CASCOM), The Defense Commissary Agency
(DeCA), The U.S. Army Quartermaster Center and School (USAQMC&S). While the
Fort is just 65 years young, there are several historic and cultural attractions on the post
worth noting: U.S. Army Women’s Museum, U.S. Army Quartermaster Museum, Fort
Lee Playhouse, and the Davis House, constructed in 1917.
Petersburg, located in central Virginia, on the Appomattox River, 25 miles south of
Richmond, has a population of 32,000. Civil War history plays a major role in the City
and the region’s past but the landscape in and around Petersburg is connected to historical
events that preceded the Civil War. Petersburg’s city officials and its community citizens
have preserved and re-used many of downtown’s historic buildings. There are seven
historic districts in the City of Petersburg, and the majority of the central business district
falls within the boundaries of two National Historic Register districts. Downtown
Petersburg and the surrounding area are replete with historical, archeological, and
cultural assets. The Old Towne section of downtown district is particularly appealing
with its collection of restaurants, antique stores, specialty shops, and art galleries.
HINESVILLE, GEORGIA – FORT STEWART
Fort Stewart, the largest Army installation east of the Mississippi River, is the home of
the 3rd Infantry Division. The installation had its beginning in June of 1940 when
Congress authorized funding for the purchase of property in coastal Georgia for the
purpose of building an anti-aircraft artillery training center. The location chosen was just
outside of Hinesville, Georgia, some 40 miles southwest of Savannah. Today, the daily
population of military, civilians, family members, retirees and dependants affiliated with
Fort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield represents a community of over 100,000
individuals. While a relatively “young” installation, there are several historic and cultural
attractions on the post worth noting—the Fort Stewart Museum, the Heritage Chapel, and
Warriors Walk – a living memorial to 3rd Infantry Soldiers who were killed in the War on
Hinesville has grown enormously since the coming of Camp Stewart in 1940. At that
point Hinesville was populated by barely 500 people. Today, the City of Hinesville, the
county seat for Liberty County, is one of the fastest growing cities in southeast Georgia.
In 2000, the population was almost 30,400. City government has been pursuing
community revitalization activities over the past 20 years. In 2004, the City activated the
Hinesville Downtown Development Authority to provide oversight and a management
function for the many revitalization projects that were being undertaken within the
downtown development district. While there are a couple of historic sites on the National
Register within in the downtown district, many historic, cultural and ecological sites are
located within Liberty County and marked by the Historic Liberty Trail.