Blackburn with Darwen
THE OFFICE OF THE
MAYOR & THE
• Mayor’s Robes
• Other Outfits
• Block and Gavel
• 1851 Charter
• 1974 Charter
• Council Chamber
• Mayor’s Parlour
• Insignia and Gifts
This is the Mayor’s Robe. This
particular robe is made from wool
and trimmed with black velvet and
ermine . The robes are worn
mainly on special Civic occasions
such as Remembrance Sunday,
Annual Council and Civic Sunday.
On the shoulders of the robes
are 2 small ribbons which are
used to tie the Mayor’s Chain in
Also worn with the robes is a
Jabot (a lace frill worn around
the neck as can be seen in the
When the Mayor wears the
robes he or she have to wear a
hat. There are two types of hat
depending on if the Mayor is
male or female.
If we have a male Mayor then
he wears the Cocked Hat.
Cocked Hat If we have a female Mayor she
wears the Tricorn Hat.
When the Mayor is returning a
salute from organisations in a
parade he would remove the
hat and hold it aloft but a lady
Mayor would politely bow her
Normally on the occasions when the Mayor wears his robes
the Chief Executive of the Council is present and would wear
the Gown, bands and wig of a legal person as can be seen in
this picture on the left.
Additionally, it is usual for the Mayor’s Officer to be present
on civic and ceremonial occasions and he would wear the
uniform in the picture on the right.
The Mayor’s Chain
The Chain worn by the
Mace of the County Borough Of Blackburn
First Mace of the Borough of Blackburn
Mace Of the Borough of Darwen
Past Mayor's Badge
Badge worn by the Deputy Mayor
Past Mayoress Badge
Badge worn by the Deputy Mayoress
Block and Gavel used by the Mayor to maintain
order during Council Meetings
Blackburn’s First Charter of Incorporation, 1851
Between 1801 and 1901 the population of Blackburn increased tenfold from 10,000, a large enough population for a town of
those days, too more than 100,000. In 1832 a Parliamentary Borough was created which returned 2 MPs at each election
The new pressure of population required that services be provided in order to cope with the needs of all these folk. In
November 1850, the resident landholders and the ratepayers of the Parliamentary Borough petitioned Queen Victoria to grant
Blackburn a Charter of Incorporation which would allow a local authority to be established here with a Mayor, Councillors
and the local government staff to provide for the needs of all the people in Blackburn.
This Charter was granted to Blackburn by Queen Victoria in response at the Houses of Parliament on 28 th August 1851.
The Charter provides for a list of burgesses to be drawn up. These were the male inhabitants of the town who were old
enough and who owned sufficient property to be allowed to have a vote.
It divides the Borough into six electoral wards and describes their boundaries. These wards were St Mary’s, St John’s,
Trinity Park, St Peter’s and St Paul’s. It states that elected members should be a Mayor, twelve Aldermen (the title of
Alderman was of a higher honorary rank than that of Councillor) and thirty-six Councillors (six for each ward) and provides
times for the election of these representatives.
The Charter gives the Borough permission to levy rates and to buy land. This was necessary in a town where most of the
land was owned by the Feilden family or the Church of England.
Furthermore the Charter allows the Corporation of Blackburn to adopt a new Coat of Arms.
A statue of the first Mayor of Blackburn, William Henry Hornby (1851 – 52), stands outside this building. The corner stone
of the Town Hall itself was laid by Joseph Feilden; Blackburn’s other leading political figure on 28 th November 1852.
Borough of Blackburn Charter of Incorporation 1851
The Charter of Blackburn Borough Council
dated the 15th May 1974
Ariel View of the Council Chamber from the Public
Views of the
Items of the Civic Insignia and Gifts From
Visiting Dignitaries on Display in the Mayor’s