Band Committee meeting Grange Moor Brass Band by alicejenny

VIEWS: 3 PAGES: 11

									                                  Grange Moor Brass Band

                           Committee Meeting 30th March 2009



Present

Nathan Abbotts

Andy Carr

Warren Gillibrand

Tim Grace

Karen Wood

Paul Wood



Apologies

Alex Evans

Mike Howley

Carol Smith



Finance



Tim rose that it had previously been agreed to pay £150 a year to Paul for costs relating to ‘phone
bills and that this had not been paid for the previous two years (2007/08 and 2008/09). The
committee agreed to pay these expenses, totalling £300.



AP: Tim to arrange for payment of £300 to Paul for telephone bills



Andy rose that he had paid £50 for the bands subscription to 4barsrest.com. The committee
agreed to refund Andy.
1
AP: Tim to arrange for payment of £50 to Andy for subscription to 4barsrest.com



Tim rose that a cheque from Malton to refund for the band playing at the contest was still
outstanding. Nathan agreed to chase it up with the contest organisers.



AP: Nathan to chase outstanding refund cheque for Malton 2008



Tim mentioned that he had not received a bank statement from the hand over from the previous
treasurer, but that this was the only outstanding issue.



Tim rose that several members seem not to have refunded the band from the band’s outing to
Butlins. Paul agreed to forward a copy of who attend the contest to Tim and Tim agreed to follow
this up in terms of chasing for any outstanding payments.



AP: Paul to forward a copy of Butlins attenders to Tim

AP: Tim to chase any missing payments from Butlins attendees



It was discussed that Marion Matthewman’s expenses from Butlins had not been paid, as a receipt
had not been received. Paul agreed to discuss it with Marion.



AP: Paul to discuss outstanding receipt for expenses for Butlins with Marion Matthewman



Tim rose that he was owed money from the band for several items, mainly Butlins. He agreed to
discuss these offline with the committee prior to the processing of any claim.



AP: Tim to discuss with the committee monies outstanding to himself


1
Andy queried that a band credit or debit card maybe of use considering the amount of money that
committee members pay out for the band. Tim agreed to look into the feasibility, but it was raised
that with needing two signatures for the band it may not be possible.



AP: Tim to look into the possibility of a band credit/debit card



Nathan raised that a couple from the village had offered to donate some money to the band and
had passed the details to Phil Goodall (as he lives closely to them). It was agreed that Phil would
invite them to a band rehearsal and Warren agreed to invite them to become patrons of the band.



AP: Phil Goodall to invite the couple who have donated money to the band to a rehearsal

AP: Warren to invite the couple who have donated money to the band to become patrons



Equipment & Uniforms



The band walking out jackets were discussed and that Paul’s jacket is still outstanding. Paul
agreed to re-measure his existing jacket (from the centre seam to under the arm) and send the
details off to the jacket supplier.



AP: Paul to re-measure his existing jacket and send details to the walking out jacket
supplier



It was discussed that at the previous meeting it was agreed that additional stage jackets would be
purchased and that a preference would be to replace any jackets for existing band members first. It
was agreed that Paul would discuss with Alex to see where we are with the jackets and to discuss
the details.



AP: Paul to discuss with Alex regarding some new stage jackets


1
Andy discussed that he had been looking into prices for the longer-term plan for replacing all the
band jackets, if a grant was available. Discussions took place around the various companies and
prices and the possibilities of different colours. The committee thanked Andy for his work and Andy
agreed to look into getting a written quote and inviting a company to bring some jacket options
when they attend additional stage jackets.



AP: Andy to continue work regarding a replacement set of stage jackets, including
obtaining written quotations



The band previously purchased a soprano cornet (costing £1,572.50) and it had been decided that
the soprano would be sent back to be replaced for a cornet. However, the representative had not
attended at the arranged band rehearsal. Warren agreed to chase this up with the company.



AP: Warren to chase the company regarding the refund/return of the soprano cornet



Tim reported that he had arranged for some keys to be cut for Clive Jowett for the Tuesday band.
Paul informed the committee that he now had a spare set of keys and would give these to Mike
Howley.



AP: Paul to give a spare set of band room keys to Michael Howley



The possibility of a new storeroom at the back of the band room (behind the cornet section) was
raised and Paul agreed to look into materials, costs, details etc. for the storeroom.



AP: Paul to look into the details for creating a new storeroom at the back of the band room



Warren raised that a Bb bass was on loan to Crofton Band and the band were considering
purchasing the instrument. Warren agreed to chase the band.



1
AP: Warren to chase Crofton band regarding purchasing a spare Bb bass



Warren also raised that Jack Wright had borrowed the small Eb bass from the band and Warren
agreed to look into ensuring that Jack had formally signed for borrowing the instrument.



AP: Warren to ensure that Jack Wright has formally signed for the loan of a spare Eb bass
from the band



Andy raised that a trombone mute needed some minor repair and Warren agreed to arrange for it
to be fixed.



AP: Warren to arrange for repair of a trombone mute



Warren raised that a set of cornet mutes was outstanding following the Yorkshire area and agreed
to chase them up.



AP: Warren to chase up the mute set that went missing after the Yorkshire area



Internet



Karen rose that the band’s website is in need of updates. Alex had previously agreed to update the
website and Nathan also agreed to update the website. It was agreed that both Nathan and Alex
would look into updating the website and that Paul would discuss with the current webmaster to
forward over to Nathan and Alex the details for updating and maintaining the website.



AP: Paul to arrange for the websites details to be transferred from the current webmaster to
Nathan & Alex




1
Concerts & Contests



Paul reported that the Uppercumberworth Gala had requested the band to play and a fee of £200
had been agreed. Paul agreed to discuss with the band to see about availability.



AP: Paul to check the bands availability for the Uppercumberworth Gala



The Pogson Bray contest was discussed and currently the band needed two cornets, a horn and
possibly an Eb bass to fill the remaining empty seats. Paul agreed to email the details for the
contest around the band.



AP: Paul to forward details regarding the Pogson Bray contest around the band



It was discussed that Mike had agreed for the band to enter the Morley and Brighouse contests
and Nathan agreed to send off the entry forms. Paul agreed to send the details for the Brighouse
contest to Nathan.



AP: Nathan to arrange for the band to enter the Brighouse & Morley march contests



In addition, it was agreed that the band will be going to the Whit Friday contest and the Malton
contest is currently in question, but it was looking likely that the band would attend.



Discussions took place around the possibility of a band-run concert at st Paul’s church in Mirfield,
various ideas were suggested including a joint concert and getting a guest soloist. It was
suggested that a September date may be best and Warren and Andy agreed to look into the detail
and arrange it.



AP: Warren and Andy to look into the feasibility of the band arranging a concert in
September time


1
Warren raised that the organisers of the brass in the wood concert that the band played at last year
don’t seem to have contacted the band this year. Tim agreed to look into it.



AP: Tim to discuss with the organisers of brass in the wood as to if the band would be
requested to perform at the concert this year



Nathan discussed that he had received the provisional placings for the Yorkshire areas and would
place a copy on the notice board in the band room.



AP: Nathan to place a copy of the Yorkshire provisional gradings for 2010 on the band
notice board



Players



Nathan queried the thought process behind Andy’s email regarding if players are willing to transfer
seats. Andy discussed that it was just a query from him and that there are no plans to arbitrarily
transfer any member of the band to any different seat as to the one that they currently occupy.



AGM




Tim proposed Monday 27th April at 20:00 for the next AGM. This will meet the criteria as laid down
in the band’s constitution and should allow time for band members to think & discuss prior to the
meeting.



Tim highlighted that all positions needed to be reviewed and a minimum of four people are required
for the management committee (the officers) and an additional six committee members can also be
included in the overall committee, with the musical director also a part of the committee.




1
Tim agreed to bring nomination forms to the band rehearsal on 2 nd April 2009 and to email around
nomination forms to the band.



In addition, the committee discussed the issue in the previous year whereby the existing committee
members nominated each other owing to a lack of nominations from non-committee members. It
was agreed that for the next AGM none of the committee members would nominate each other in
this fashion for future AGMs.



AP: Tim to leave AGM nomination forms in the band room and bring the AGM to the bands
attention



AOB



Karen raised around the adjudicator comments from contests and the recording and safe keeping
of them. It was agreed that the new committee following the AGM should appoint someone as
responsible for adjudicator comments.



AP: The committee to appoint someone as responsible for the safekeeping of adjudicator
comments



Karen also rose that a record of previous concert programmes should also be kept. It was reported
that Valerie Hope has already been approached and has agreed to log concert programmes.



Actions log.




 Date of         Owner         Action                                            Completed
 Meeting &
 Number




1
30/03/09-1    Tim Grace    Tim to arrange for payment of £300 to Paul for
                           telephone bills


30/03/09-2    Tim Grace    Tim to arrange for payment of £50 to Andy for
                           subscription to 4barsrest.com


30/03/09-3    Nathan       Nathan to chase outstanding refund cheque for
              Abbotts      Malton 2008


30/03/09-4    Paul Wood    Paul to forward a copy of Butlins attenders to
                           Tim


30/03/09-5    Tim Grace    Tim to chase any missing payments from
                           Butlins attendees


30/03/09-6    Paul Wood    Paul to discuss outstanding receipt for
                           expenses for Butlins with Marion Matthewman


30/03/09-7    Tim Grace    Tim to discuss with the committee monies
                           outstanding to himself


30/03/09-8    Tim Grace    Tim to look into the possibility of a band
                           credit/debit card


30/03/09-9    Phil         Phil Goodall to invite the couple who have
              Goodall      donated money to the band to a rehearsal


30/03/09-10   Warren       Warren to invite the couple who have donated
              Gillibrand   money to the band to become patrons


30/03/09-11   Paul Wood    Paul to re-measure his existing jacket and send
                           details to the walking out jacket supplier


30/03/09-12   Paul Wood    Paul to discuss with Alex regarding some new
                           stage jackets




1
30/03/09-13   Andy Carr    Andy to continue work regarding a replacement
                           set of stage jackets, including obtaining written
                           quotations


30/03/09-14   Warren       Warren to chase the company regarding the
              Gillibarnd   refund/return of the soprano cornet


30/03/09-15   Paul Wood    Paul to give a spare set of band room keys to
                           Michael Howley


30/03/09-16   Paul Wood    Paul to look into the details for creating a new
                           storeroom at the back of the band room


30/03/09-17   Warren       Warren to chase Crofton band regarding
              Gillibrand   purchasing a spare Bb bass


30/03/09-18   Warren       Warren to ensure that Jack Wright has formally
              Gillibrand   signed for the loan of a spare Eb bass from the
                           band


30/03/09-19   Warren       Warren to arrange for repair of a trombone
              Gillibrand   mute


30/03/09-20   Warren       Warren to chase up the mute set that went
              Gillibrand   missing after the Yorkshire area


30/03/09-21   Paul Wood    Paul to arrange for the websites details to be
                           transferred from the current webmaster to
                           Nathan & Alex


30/03/09-22   Paul Wood    Paul to check the bands availability for the
                           Uppercumberworth Gala


30/03/09-23   Paul Wood    Paul to forward details regarding the Pogson
                           Bray contest around the band


30/03/09-24   Nathan       Nathan to arrange for the band to enter the


1
              Abbotts      Brighouse & Morley march contests


30/03/09-25   Warren       Warren and Andy to look into the feasibility of
              Gillibrand   the band arranging a concert in September time
              & Andy
              Carr


30/03/09-26   Tim Grace    Tim to discuss with the organisers of brass in
                           the wood as to if the band would be requested
                           to perform at the concert this year


30/03/09-27   Nathan       Nathan to place a copy of the Yorkshire
              Abbotts      provisional gradings for 2010 on the band
                           notice board


30/03/09-28   Tim Grace    Tim to leave AGM nomination forms in the band
                           room and bring the AGM to the bands attention


30/03/09-29   The          The committee to appoint someone as
              Committee    responsible for the safekeeping of adjudicator
                           comments




1

								
To top