Area code 505
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Coordinates: 45°30′N 123°00′W
North American area code 505 is a state of New Mexico telephone area
code which was one of the original area codes established in October,
1947. Until October 7, 2007, it served the entire state. It currently serves
the northwestern and central portions of the state.
The map to the right is clickable, click on any of the area codes on the
map to go to the area code for that region.
Due to the increasing demand for new numbers, area code 505 was split
on October 7, 2007. Northwestern and central New Mexico, including the
Albuquerque metropolitan area, Santa Fe, and Farmington, continue to be
served by the 505 area code, while the remainder of the state switched to
area code 575.  The issue was decided in 2006 by vote of the New
Mexico Public Regulation Commission, with a 3-2 majority in favor of
allowing the Albuquerque area to keep the old area code.
The question of how to implement a new area code was a contentious
one. The need for a new code had been clear since at least 2000 , but
the PRC's initial votes for Albuquerque and Santa Fe to switch to a new area code and the rest of the state to keep the old
505 area code (including the Farmington and Gallup areas that are now part of the current 505 area code) were met with
vocal opposition and even death threats. Amid heightening tensions between the urban and rural areas of the state, the
commission eventually chose to put off the decision until 2006 after a new plan to conserve numbers made the immediate
addition of a new code unnecessary. 
1. ^ NANPA publication PL 358, (December 21, 2006) NPA 505 Split, Creating NPA 575 (New Mexico) (Caution: PDF)
2. ^ Amadeo, Michael (November 9, 2006). "Metro area to keep 505 area code." The Albuquerque Tribune.
3. ^ (March 16, 2000). "2nd area code on its way to busy N.M. phone lines." Albuquerque Journal.
4. ^ Rayburn, Rosalie (June 2, 2001). "Regulators Get Death Threats for Area-Code Vote." Albuquerque Journal.
5. ^ Rayburn, Rosalie (July 14, 2002). "Deadline For 505 Extended." Albuquerque Journal.
NANPA Area Code Map of New Mexico
List of exchanges from AreaCodeDownload.com, 505 Area Code
New Mexico area codes: 505, 575
West: 928 area code 505 East: 575
Arizona area codes: 480, 520, 602, 623, 928
Colorado area codes: 303, 719, 720, 970
via Area code 505