Antwerp City Hall
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Coordinates: 51.2213°N 4.3992°E
The City Hall (Dutch: Stadhuis) of Antwerp, Belgium, stands on the western side
of Antwerp's Grote Markt (Great Market Square). Erected between 1561 and 1565 Antwerp City Hall
to the design of Cornelis Floris de Vriendt and several other architects and artists,
this Renaissance building incorporates both Flemish and Italian influences.
The low arcaded ground story is of rusticated stone, and at one time housed little
shops. Above are two stories with Doric and Ionic columns separating large
mullioned windows, and a fourth story forming an open gallery.
The richly ornamented center section, which rises above the eaves in diminishing
stages, holds female statues representing Justice, Prudence, and the Virgin Mary,
and bears the coats of arms of the Duchy of Brabant, the Spanish Habsburgs,
Architectural style Renaissance, Gothic
and the Margraviate of Antwerp.
Town or city Antwerp
Contents Country Belgium
2 Influence abroad started
4 External links
Design and construction
Architect Cornelis Floris De
In the 16th century, the municipal authorities proposed to replace Antwerp's small
medieval town hall with a more imposing structure befitting the prosperity of the great port city. Domien de Waghemakere
drafted a plan (c. 1540) for a new building in a style typical of the monumental Gothic town halls of Flanders and Brabant.
But an atmosphere of war prevented any progress on the project. The building
material intended for the city hall was instead used to shore up the city defenses.
Not until about 1560 were new plans developed, but meanwhile Gothic architecture
was no longer fashionable, so this time the new town hall was designed in the new
Renaissance style. Completed in 1565, the building lasted hardly a decade before
being burnt to a shell in the Spanish Fury of 1576. It was repaired three years later.
Renovations during the late 19th century by Pierre Bruno Bourla drastically modified
the interior. Much of the stately decor dates from this period, as does a roof over
what was once an open-air inner courtyard.
Green Gate in Gdańsk.
The Green Gate in Gdańsk, Poland is a building which is clearly inspired by the Antwerp City Hall.  It was built between
1568-1571 to serve as the formal residence of the Polish monarchs. It is a masterpiece by Regnier (or Reiner van
Amsterdam), the architect from Amsterdam.
1. ^ (English) The North Sea and culture (1550-1800): proceedings of the international conference held at Leiden 21-22 April 1995 .
Uitgeverij Verloren. 1996. p. 103. ISBN 90-6550-527-X.
2. ^ (Polish) "Zielona Brama w Gdańsku" . wilanowmiasta.gazeta.pl. 2007-02-18. Retrieved 2008-12-29.
3. ^ (English) Philip Ward (1988). Polish cities: travels in Cracow and the South, Gdańsk, Malbork and Warsaw . Oleander. p. 77.
B. Fletcher, History of Architecture (London, 1921)
Antwerp City Hall - detailed description and history
Wikimedia Commons has media
Town Hall, Antwerp - overview and photo gallery
related to: Antwerp City Hall
via Antwerp City Hall