Regional Focus, Regional Support
7/8/09 SMESO Notes
Submitted by Steve Runnels
Meeting Called to Order by President Martin at 10:00 am
April 8, 2009 Minutes approved (Hollandworth, Cooper)
Treasurer’s Report approved (Roark, Stammer)
- Beginning Balance - $1,758.90
- Receipts $227, Expenses $10.48 (RDP Conf Call)
- Current Balance - $1,975.56
1) RHSOC Update: (Diane May)
- Approximately $60,000 2007 funding must be spent by 9/30
- One need is for cables required for communication trailers
- Missouri received approximately $11M in 2009 Homeland Security funding. This is
$500,00 less than 2008
- Next RHSOC meeting will be on July 22 at 9 am in the new Lawrence County Justice
Center and EOC located at 200 Water Street
- Planning is underway for the October 21, 2009 meeting at the fairgrounds in
Springfield. It will be important for all 16 disciplines to attend.
- Some disciplines have organizations that meet (fire chiefs, police, etc), but many other
disciplines do not have regular meetings. The October meeting provides an opportunity
for each discipline to meet and elect their representative for next year.
- Tom Martin noted that the SMESO President assumes the RHSOC EM representative.
Thus EM needs must be inputted to the President to fully represent the EM discipline
across Region D.
- Tom also mentioned that Region D has received more money than any other RHSOC
region in the state. This is largely due to the organization and activities of the
disciplines across region.
- Lunch will be served at the October meeting.
a. Citizen Preparation Subcommittee (Ryan Nicholls): nothing to submit at this time
b. Interoperable Communications (Larry Woods): – not present
c. HSRT (Chris Berndt): Low turnout possibly due incomplete notification.
d. Region D Mass Care Coordinator (Bandi Kolbe):
- Has travelled to meet with most Area D counties, including many faith based
- Let her know if there are meetings for her to attend
- Tom Martin commented on the quality and positive nature of Bandi’s recent
presentation in Stone County was well received and bonded together those present.
e. Region D CERT Coordinator (Holly Johnston)
- Cedar county 1st CERT starts 7/24
- McDonald County class begins 8/10
- Barton County class to be conducted this fall
- Newton County has completed two classes with a third starting in September
f. Region D Agriculture Preparedness Specialist (Amanda Marney):
- Advertising services at fair booth
- now has a infra-red monitoring camera
- working on a preliminary Region D ag plan
- have visited all but four northern counties
2) MEPA Update (Larry Woods, David Compton): neither present
3) SMESO website (Phil Amtower): ready to add, just need ideas/material
4) IST Update (Mike White):
- May training session brought IST membership to 26 members. In addition to members
present, training included Americorps
- Position specific training in August at Grizzly in Springfield. Additional training coming
in October and in 2010, followed by regional Train the Trainer.
5) Region D Disaster Plan (R Nicholls): The following jurisdictions are mutual aid agreement
members as of 7/8/09:
Barry County (3)
Barry County Health Dept.
City of Cassville
City of Monett 911 Communications
Barton County (17)
Barton County OEM
Barton County Ambulance Dist.
Barton County Health Dept.
Barton County Memorial Hospital
Barton County Senior Center
Consolidated Public Water Supply Dist. #1 of Barton, Dade, Cedar & Jasper
S. Barton County Sheriff's Office
City of Lamar
City of Mindenmines
City of Mindenmines Fire Dept.
City of Golden City (VFD/AMB/EM)
Golden City R-III
City of Liberal
Liberal Rural Fire Dept.
Liberal R-II School Dist
Lamar R-1 School Dist.
Cedar County (1)
City of Eldorado Springs, Mo.
Christian County (1)
Nixa Fire Protection District
Dallas County (1)
Greene County (3)
City of Springfield
City of Willard
Jasper County (1)
City of Webb City
Lawrence County (1)
City of Aurora
Polk County (2)
City of Bolivar
St. Clair County (1)
St. Clair County
Stone County (2)
Stone County Emergency Services
Taney County (1)
City of Hollister
Vernon County (2)
Richards Rural Fire Dept
Webster County (5)
Webster County Health Dept.
Elkland Fire Protection District
City of Seymour Fire Department
Webster County Commission
Webster County Sheriff's Office
6) Missouri Responder Credentialing (Tom Martin):
- Tom asked to serve as Region D committee representative
- Missouri developing program that would have validity across the state and potentially at
a Federal level.
- Credentials to be developed starting with law, fire and EMS as licensing already in
existence for these disciplines
- Credential challenges include that the format must be made developed and that
updates will be necessary to purge those that leave
- Question – Gary Roark: Elliot system provides standardized ID cards. Will they work
across the state? Answer - Statewide standardization of Elliot cards has been discussed,
but not moved forward upon due to 1) parallel Missouri Responder Credential
committee efforts and 2) no enforcement when jurisdictions want to do something
- Color coding for different disciplines, along with other coding being considered for the
statewide Missouri Responder program
- Question - David Hoover: if regions do their own credentials, will it be recognized by
state? Answer- unknown, but likely that the state may require two credentials.
- The requirements of multiple vendors needs to be addressed before statewide
credentials may be produced
- Question – Morgan Young: what about credentials for those that represent multiple
disciplines. Answer – scan will show multiple disciplines. Missouri Responder ID will
have different symbols delineating different disciplines/capabilities.
1) Report on Video Conferencing System and Test (Ryan Nicholls):
- Regional test conducted. Eight counties participated. Some challenges existed with
video at one site, two others were not successful. Future tests to include remaining six
plus the NWS. No band width problems were detected.
- Question: Gary Roark – handout documented the ability to display a computer screen.
Answer - video system may be flipped to a computer to display information.
- 25 different conference rooms have been set up – CMA registration is requested.
- Subsequent test desired in August.
- Recommend that conferencing system be operational 24 hours a day, though may want
to place an object blocking the camera.
- System allows entry into other video conferencing systems across the world at no cost
- Test also included a test of the camera on the satellite truck
2) IRIS available to all counties in Region D (Tom Martin)
- IRIS is a notification system that allows sending any and all warning messages via cell,
text, email, pager and landline.
- RHSOC funding for IRIS for each county to cover initial set up cost and first year
- Recommend that the county EMD needs to be familiar with the system
- System allows multiple formats (phone, text message)
- Printouts available on who answered
- System will call back if there is no initial answer
- Sub groups may be set up which allows a particular discipline to send out messages to
their specific members only
- Other non-government sub groups (eg schools, churches) may subscribe at a cost of
$3.50 a person/year
- Private citizens may sign up at a cost of $8/yr. The county receives 50 cents back for
each citizen that signs up
- Larry Woods will be the POC for the region. Larry will work with each county and the
IRIS POC, Clayton Fish- Div. Manager, 281-263-6325. E-mail CFish@techradium.com
- Messages take 45 seconds / 1000 people though delivery time will be increased if
phone trunk lines are hit hard
- 2010 funding unknown, may require private and or other funding sources
3) Appointment of Nominating Committee – election in October (Tom Martin):
- Election to be held during the last meeting of the odd numbered year for a two year
- Per bylaws, Tom named past presidents (Compton, Lane, Berndt, Runnels) to the
- The Nominating Committee will present their recommendations, plus nominations from
the floor for election at the October meeting. The elected officials will take over upon
4) Speaker “Role of the MO Dept of Health and Senior Services in the H1N1 Pandemic” by John
Bos, Senior Epidemiologist, email@example.com 417-895-6945 (no notes taken).
5) Next Meeting October 14, 2009 at a location to be determined in Springfield.
Business meeting closed at 1110 am - adjournment approved (Nicholls, Rowe)
Earl Ackley COAD Cedar Co.
Candy Adams SEMA (Regional Coordinator)
Phil Amtower Christian County EMA
Linda Barger Christian County EMA
Paige Behm Health
Chris Berndt Taney County EMA
Melissa Ducksworth Taney County EMA
Charles Engberg FEMA
Nancy Guerrero FEMA
Lynn Hollandworth Management
David Hoover Region D Hospital Coordinator
Holly Johnston Region D CERT
Bob Kitsmiller Dade County EMA
Bandi Kolbe Region D Mass Care Coord.
Bob Kulp Newton County Health Dept.
Martha Love MO 211
Amanda Marney University Extension
Thomas Martin Stone County LEPC
Diane May SMCOG
Ryan Nicholls OEM
Rich Nordell Jasper County 911
Gary Roark Newton County EMA
Mike Rowe Lawrence County EM
Steve Runnels National Weather Service
Bill Sexton Webster County EMA
Keith Stammer Jasper County EMA
Gregg Sweeten McDonald County EM
Randall Willoughby DNR
Morgan Young CMH HazMat Coord
Dean Bickford Kimb. City EMD