The Rolls-Royce 20/25 built between 1929 and 1936 succeeded the 20hp as Rolls- Royce's "small car". It was intended to appeal to owner drivers but many were sold to customers with chauffeurs. The in-line 6 cylinder overhead valve engine was similar to that used in the 20HP but was enlarged to 3699 cc by increasing the bore from 76 mm to 82 mm with the stroke remaining at 114 mm. A single Rolls-Royce carburettor was used and both coil and magneto ignition were fitted. The four speed gearbox was mounted in unit with the engine and a traditional right hand change used. Synchromesh was fitted to third and top gears from 1932. The substantial chassis had rigid front and rear axles suspended by half elliptic springs with braking on all four wheels assisted by a mechanical servo. Separate rear brakes were fitted for the handbrake. The famous Rolls-Royce radiator with triangular top was used with vertical louvres, the angle of which could be adjusted to control engine cooling. To begin with, the radiator shutters were operated manually via a lever on the dash; later cars were fitted with automatic control via a thermostat. The larger engine allowed the top speed to increase to 75 mph (121 km/h) but many owners had large limousine bodies fitted to the chassis with the predictable degradation of performance. Only the chassis and mechanical parts were made by Rolls-Royce. The body was made and fitted by a coachbuilder selected by the owner. Some of the most famous coachbuilders who produced bodies for Rolls Royce cars are Park Ward, Thrupp & Maberly, Mulliner and Hooper. The Rolls Royce 20/25 hp is featured in films such as; The League of Gentlemen (1959), Father Came Too! (1963), The Brides of Fu Manchu (1966), To Be or Not To Be (1983), Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989), The Remains of the Day (1993), Enigma (2001), etc. GKC39 was finally tested by Rolls-Royce on 19th May 1934. It then went to Park Ward to have a saloon body built for Mr. R. Monckton. In 1942 it was owned y W. Edgar and Sons, Blenheim Works, 136 King St. Hammersmith, West London. In 1945 it was sold to Capt. L.F. Beeson, 26a Grosvenor Rd.,Tunbridge Wells, Kent. That is the extent of the Rolls-Royce records. The las time it was recorded in England was 1974 when owned by someone called Sturgeon. The magnificent restoration of this fine automobile was started in 2006 and completed in mid 2008 with an astonishing cost of over $80,000 dollars. No expense was spared, and the show quality reconditioning work is something to be admired for decades to follow. We will be happy to discuss this vehicle in greater detail with you, and answer any questions you may have about the purchase and, if needed, world wide transportation of this fine classic.
Pages to are hidden for
"The_Rolls_Royce"Please download to view full document