Name ________________________________________________ Period ________
10th Grade Study Guide for the MUSIC Final Exam:
This will be a guide for you to complete then you can use this on your Music Final Exam!
Word Bank for the first part of the Study Guide:
Bongos Maracas Guiro
Claves Steel drums As Time Goes By
sugar cane love theme John Williams
Max Steiner Ennio Morricone Soul
Sam Trevor Jones James Horner
Bernard Herrmann Berry Gordy Rock ‘n’ Roll
Franz Waxman Blues James Brown
Part 1: Answer the following questions using the word bank:
1. What is the name of the “fish” instrument that has ridges and is scraped with a stick?
2. What is the name of a type of Gourd rattle?
3. What is the name of a pair of drums smaller than the congas?
4. What are the drums called that have different pitches, depending on where you hit it?
5. What is the name of two wooden, thick rods that usually plays the lead beat in a Latin Percussion
6. What is Latin America’s main cash crop?
7. Who composed Gone with the Wind, Casablanca and King Kong (1933)?
8. Who composed E.T?
9. Who composed Vertigo?
10. Who composed The Bride of Frankenstein?
11. Who composed The Good, the Bad and the Ugly?
12. Who composed The Last of the Mohicans?
13. Who composed Titanic?
14. Who is the piano player from Casablanca?
15. The main theme in Casablanca has two different names, what are they?
16. Muddy Waters’ music represents this genre?
17. Chuck Berry invented this new sounding genre…..
18. Who created Motown Records?
19. What was the new genre Ray Charles invented?
20. Who invented the new genre called Funk?
Part 2: Definitions: Fill out the following definitions for these terms:
Carib people –
Linear plot –
Point of View –
Omniscient point of view –
Subjective point of view –
Musical theater –
Word painting –
Narrative film – (it can also mean…)
Arrangement – (also give an example of when it was used and in what movie)
Source music –
Mickey mousing –
Rhythm & Blues -
Soul Music -
Hip Hop -
Beat boxing -
Part 3: Musicians: Know at least one defining characteristic for each of the musicians listed below.
Big Mama Thornton
The Rolling Stones
Part 4: Essay: On the Final you will have to choose one from below and answer thoroughly. Please leave
1. How is Latin American music different from African music? How is it similar? You should come
up with at least 2 differences and 3 similarities.
2. Choose one person or one group we studied in class this term and describe their musical
contributions, noting songs that they recorded and their impact they had.
3. Pick one of the following film composers: Max Steiner, Franz Waxman, John Williams, Bernard
Herrmann, Ennio Morricone, Trevor Jones, or James Horner. Give me three major facts about
4. Pick one of the movies we discussed in class during term 6. How was music used in the scene that
we watched? Make sure you use any special vocabulary words from the word wall and define
them in your answer. Try to say as much as you can!