Introduction to Health Science
Unit 9 – REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM
1. amenorrhea: absence of menstrual flow.
2. andrology: the study of the male and male disorders.
3. colporrhaphy: repair of the vagina.
4. ectopic: pregnancy in the uterine tube.
5. embryo: the developing baby after implantation has occurred until the 8th week
6. fertilization: union of two different sex cells (egg and sperm).
7. fetus: the developing baby after the 8th week of pregnancy.
8. gametes: sex cells (sperm and egg).
9. gonads: sex glands (testes and ovaries).
10. gynecology: the study of the female and female disorders.
11. implantation: the attachment of the embryo to the endometrium of the uterus.
12. ovum: an unfertilized egg cell.
13. puberty: development of reproductive capacity.
14. spermatozoa: male gametes (sperm cells).
15. testosterone: the male sex hormone secreted by the testes.
1. F: Female
2. M: Male
3. STD/I: Sexually transmitted disease/Infection
4. NB: Newborn
5. SIDS: Sudden infant death syndrome
1. Hystero- uterus
2. Salpingo- fallopian tubes
3. Oophoro- ovaries
4. Orchio- testes
5. Balano – glands penis
6. Gyneco- woman
7. Masto- breast
8. Ova- egg
9. –centesis – puncture in a cavity
10. –tripsy – surgical crushing
Unit Nine – Reproduction 1 Utah State Office of Education