Job Title: Senior Business Development Officer
Salary: Grade G: £23,028 - £27,432 per annum
(dependent on relevant skills and experience)
Hours: 37.5 per week
Base: 2 Cathedral Square College Green Bristol
Purpose of Job:
To deliver a responsive, innovative and high quality business development service to Sustrans to maximise
income for our work.
Place in Organisation Structure:
The post holder will report to the Business Development Manager
Internal: Business Development Manager
Business Development Unit team colleagues
Regional / National Directors
Senior Management Team (SMT)
Head of Workplaces, Education & Community Projects
External: Key non-governmental statutory funders such as the BIG Lottery fund
Other statutory funders
1. To support Regional and National Directors, Project Heads and other Sustrans staff to develop
commissioning relationships and new funding opportunities for Sustrans’ work.
2. To maintain an overview of new opportunities involving one of the following funding areas  economic
development and business  health  communities and environment, while also ensuring familiarity
with all aspects of business development and the ability to work across all target markets.
3. Focusing on the target funding market(s), to identify specific new business/funding opportunities –
including through analysis of market intelligence, dialogue with potential funders, gathering of
necessary evidence – and be responsible for coordinating work across Sustrans to realise these
4. To work with Regional and National Directors, Project Heads and other Sustrans staff to create
business development plans for existing programmes and projects.
5. To directly produce applications for funding for Sustrans’ core and project work from statutory
6. To support other staff within Sustrans to produce applications for statutory funding.
7. To directly write tenders for Sustrans work, liaising with Regional and National Directors, SMT, Project
Heads and other Sustrans staff as required.
8. To be responsible for managing the production of individual tenders and funding bids using the tender
(or other BD) management systems.
9. To work with the team to continually improve the quality and competitiveness of bids across the
organisation, including through central resources, guidance and training.
10. With the rest of the team, to keep up to date with new and existing statutory and other funding
opportunities and with key policy developments likely to affect the funding environment.
11. To provide internal guidance to SMT and other relevant key staff on new funding opportunities, and
then coordinate the production of bespoke packages to respond to these opportunities.
12. To work with the Innovation Manager and other staff as appropriate to develop new products and
services to respond to or create new funding opportunities.
13. To co-ordinate input and advice from finance, legal, HR, RMU and communications for specific bids /
14. To review evaluation results to inform service improvement / product development.
15. To seek, analyse and share client feedback to identify opportunities for repeat / increased business.
16. To provide guidance and support to project staff in reporting to funders.
17. To provide support to the business development staff in one or more devolved nations.
18. To support and comply with the organisation's Policy for the management of Health and Safety.
19. To work in accordance with the arrangements described in the organisation's health and safety
management system including any project or department specific requirements.
The Business Development Unit is based in the organisation’s head office.
This job description does not form part of the contract of employment, but indicates how that contract should
be performed. The job description may be subject to amendment in the light of experience and in consultation
with the jobholder.
Compiled by: Business Development Manager
Date: May 2012 Edition: 1
Senior Business Development Officer (SUS624)
Qualifications, Educated to degree level or equivalent
education and training
Experience Proven experience of preparing successful funding bids / competitive tenders
Experience of preparing robust project plans and budgets
Experience of developing successful product/service proposals in response to
Experience of project managing the production of a range of funding bids and
coordinating the input from a variety of staff.
Experience of working with project and other staff to develop new project ideas.
Experience of preparing and submitting reports to major funders.
Skills and abilities Proven ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to develop successful
Proven ability to identify and develop new funding / business opportunities
Strong analytical skills with a proven ability to work with complex data
Strong verbal and written persuasive communication skills
Proven ability to engage authoritatively with senior colleagues and external bodies
Excellent time management and organisational skills
Proven ability to work to tight deadlines
Knowledge Familiarity with business development databases (e.g. CRM) and project
Understanding of Sustrans’ behaviour change and infrastructure projects and
Understanding of the mechanics, processes and channels through which Sustrans
A sound understanding of tender and bid processes
Interest in sustainable transport
Other Commitment to the ideals of Sustrans