AP US GOVERNMENT/POLITICS
JUDICIAL BRANCH: “Tipping Point” (Time Article)
1. What is the issue/main point of the article (the “tipping point” reference)?
2. Why was the resignation of Sandra Day O’Connor a surprise?
3. When was the last time (year) a spot opened up on the Supreme Court?
4. What kind of justice was Justice O’Connor on issues like abortion, affirmative action, and church-state
5. Explain the line, “Those groups have been readying their cell phones and BlackBerrys”.
6. Which interest groups are especially interested in the President’s choice to replace Justice O’Connor?
7. What campaign promise did President Bush make to these groups?
8. Which justices on the Supreme Court are considered the most conservative/right wing besides Chief
Justice Rehnquist? (2)
9. Which justices on the Supreme Court are considered moderate (liberal/conservative) besides Justice
10. Which justice on the Supreme Court is considered the most liberal/left wing? (1)
11. Who was considered a possible front-runner as a nominee? Why would this person be difficult for
Senate Democrats to oppose?
12. Who was/is the President expected to consult with on potential nominees?
13. Who/what planned to spend $13 million on tv ads to support the President’s new nominee?
Answer the following questions for each interest group:
a. liberal or conservative b. strategy for support/opposition to Supreme Court nominee
14. American Center for Law and Justice:
15. Judicial Confirmation Network:
16. Alliance for Justice:
17. People for the American Way:
18. What problems would conservatives have with Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez if he was
19. What are some of the issues/cases that the new Supreme Court (fall session) was going to hear/decide?