02.02 ACT 8
CRIMES AGAINST THE PUBLIC TOD/TID
Judge Learned Hand said, “If we are to keep our democracy, there must be one commandment:
_____________, ________, ___________, __________, _________. Find the five words that fit into
this statement by first filling in the blanks in the statements below, then rearranging the five
contempt justice obstruction ration counterfeiting
disturbing perjury vagrancy treason thou
shalt bribery sedition not tampering
1) If you sell military secrets to an enemy nation, you are guilty of ________________________.
2) The crime of actively working to overthrow the government is known as_________________.
3) _________________________ is the crime of lying under oath.
4) If you refuse to obey a valid governmental order, such as a judge’s order to answer a question,
you are in _____________________________.
5) You are guilty of __________________________ if you attempt to influence public officials by
giving them money or doing favors for them.
6) If you do anything to hinder an officer trying to make an arrest or do anything to hinder a
prosecution, you are guilty of ___________________________ of justice.
7) _____________ is the crime of manufacturing currency without government authorization.
8) Loud, violent, or destructive public conduct constitutes the crime of _______________ the peace.
9) _______________________ is disreputable conduct by someone without any visible means of
10) Offering money to a relative of a juror or threatening bodily harm in order to influence the verdict
of a jury constitutes the crime of jury _________________________.
Judge Herman Weinkrantz of the New York City Criminal Court once said, “This court will not deny
the equal protection of the law to the unwashed, unshod, unkempt, and uninhibited.” In connection
with this, write a brief essay (on the back of this sheet) in answer to the following question:
Since we all have individual personalities and prejudices, do you think it is possible for a judge or
jury to be truly impartial? Write your answer below. If you need additional spaced, please write on
the back of this activity page.