…we think you will too.
Stuart Ervine & Franck Rasolo
• In this workshop we'll be building a short
• Please figure out how to boot your laptop
from either the CD or USB.
• If you can't boot from either please pair up
with someone who can.
What is GWT?
• Java toolkit for building rich web applications.
• You can write all the code in Java, so no
JSPs, templating languages or action
• It is more akin to Swing.
What we're not going to cover here.
• No GWTTestCase
• No Google API integration
• No 3rd party GWT library integration
• No optimization
(though feel free to talk to us about this after)
• No JSNI
• No CSS crap
• No clever ruby / python back end integration
• No discussion on client architecture
• Little, if any, comparison with or discussion about
other (Java) web frameworks
A short tutorial.
• Explanation of the background &
requirements for the sample application.
• User needs to see current holdings & profit
through sales of his client.
User needs to be able to sell stock.
Opening the example application.
• Boot from the USB drive (BOOT mount) or
• Open the APPS mounted drive, and run
• IntelliJ should open and you can run the
sample application by clicking...
The deep end.
• User needs a way to refresh the stock prices.
• If a stock is above 5%, advise user to sell stock.
• If a stock is between 5% and -5% advise user they
might want to wait and see.
• Trader wants to be able to set a profit alert on a
• If the stock goes above the profit, he wants sell
advice. The profit should default to 5%.
• The trader wants to be able to set a loss alert on a
• If the stock goes below the profit, he wants dump