SKYE & LOCHALSH – HEALTH & SOCIAL CARE FORUM
2.00pm Thursday 8 April 2010
Lochalsh & Skye Housing Association, Portree
Present: Rod Richard – Highland Council (chair) RR
Alex Jones – SLMHA AJ
Chrisanne MacDonald (SLCVO) CMD
Kevin Lawley (Alzheimers Scotland) KL
Lachie MacDonald – SLHA LMD
Jim Towers – HCCF JT
Pat Walsh – SLCCF PW
Gill Brown GB
Tina Barrows (NHS) TB
Peter Richell (Crossroads) PR
In attendance: Glenda MacKinnon (minutes) GMK
Julie Bishop (Highland Hospice) JB
Ann Craig (Highland Hospice) AC
Apologies: Liz Featherstone, Kate Earnshaw, Irene Kay, Liz Williams, Jan Laing
No. Item Action
1. Welcome and Introductions
RR welcomed everyone to the meeting, introductions were made and apologies
recorded as above.
2. Previous Minutes
The previous minutes were reviewed and confirmed as accurate subject to the
following amendment – Item 7 to read that Highland Hospice outreach service were GMK
“experiencing a low referral rate” rather than “struggling for referrals”.
3. Matters Arising
Pandemic flu – no further meetings to be held. Pregnant women are still being
offered the vaccine throughout the year and next year it will be part of the seasonal flu
Health Services workshop – it was noted that Gill McVicar is currently setting up a
Skye & Lochalsh Reference Group. Terms of reference have been drawn up with first
meeting to be held in May.
Highland Council citizen’s panels – there was no further information at this time.
4. Service Developments
Raasay development – discussions are ongoing with community consultation to take
Broadford Medical Practice – Project Team carrying forward this development. Draft
plans for a new surgery were presented at the March meeting.
TB reported that a Development Worker has now been appointed, starting 10 May,
supporting Sarah Bowyer on the Well-North programme.
TB also reported that a Bowel Screening Programme has been launched. This is
linked to GP Practices and aimed at those 50+ with packs being issued directly from
GPs. Challenge to contact those not registered with a GP. Pack for those with learning
disabilities available though difficulties still being reported – TB to feed this back to
Bowel Screening Team.
RR reported on the following:
An Acarsaid/Dornie – keys to be available on 19 April with furnishings being moved
back in then and residents moving in on 26 April. 10 beds are now available as they
will no longer require sleepover bed as two working night staff will be on duty. 6
residents to move in initially and respite to be agreed later. Dornie Day Centre and
housing to be completed by 23 July. Graham House is still providing a base for day
care and Alzheimers Scotland. They are to recruit one managers post (originally 2
posts) for An Acarsaid, Dornie, Tigh na Drochaid and Raasay Day Centre. RR advised
that they have held a series of meetings and now have suitable candidates with
appropriate care needs for the Dornie housing development. He also advised that they
had given over 3 posts to Home Care to support residents. The Day Centre, which will
work in collaboration with Alzheimers Scotland has still to be tested for demand and it
was accepted that there is a need to demonstrate a good use of this resource. Day
Care will continue at Graham House and not resume in An Acarsaid at the moment
and it was agreed by the group that this presented challenges for many depending on
where they live. The Lunch Club will also not move back to An Acarsaid at this stage –
Ian Thompson is currently looking at how a wide range of services are to be
configured. An Acarsaid will have a bus and driver which will also support Dornie.
LMD reported on the following:
LSHA currently targeting young tenants and tenancy sustainability as part of the
Financial Inclusion Strategy – to meet with Liz Williams. Also involved in creation of
Credit Union across Highlands and reducing fuel poverty. No specific timescale at
present but a financial outcome report is to be compiled by May and funding sourced.
Plockton housing on schedule to be completed by June 10 and Armadale by August
Approval has been granted for the former Kyleakin Youth Hostel to be converted into
12 flats with work commencing May 10 and a completion date of March 11.
6. Presentation – Highland Hospice Outreach Service by Julie Bishop and Ann Craig
(Copy of presentation attached)
JT suggested this service be included in the HCCF Information Directory and TB to
get appropriate information from Julie for newsletter and flip cards.
7. Voluntary Service Issues
Mental Health Association
AJ reported that the second-hand furniture project is going well but is encountering
difficulties with premises. A full-time voluntary worker has been recruited. A simple
variant of equipment for PAT testing of electrical items is to be purchased. CMD
suggested that they could provide this service for other voluntary organisations for a
They are currently looking at providing a better service for south Skye and Lochalsh
and AJ asked for suggestions for venues in Broadford and Kyle. PW suggested the
previous Red Cross premises in Kyle.
CMD reported that Skye People’s Welfare Transport are to get a new minibus within
the next few months. There has been no conformation of transport grant for 10/11
though it is hopeful this will continue.
There was a request to respond to recent letter in the WHFP regarding voluntary
services. It was agreed that it would be appropriate for this response to come from the
H&SCF. CMD to draft letter and circulate to forum members for comment/approval.
KL reported that funding has been achieved however they still do not have a Service
Level Agreement (SLA). Day Care numbers have increased again and it was
acknowledged that there will be challenges ahead for joint working at the new Dornie
PR reported that steady referrals were continuing. He asked if Highland Council could
advise them what will happen next year as they are currently on the third year of their
SLA. RR thought any progress on this would not take place until major decisions were
made after the general election.
JT reported that Highland Care Partnership have now held four stages of consultation
and HCCF are to carry out a mapping process, with focus groups and one-to-one
interviews within the next 10 weeks. JT asked for any ideas as to who would want to
be involved and there was some discussion as to what this consultation wanted to
PW reported that Fay MacDiarmid has been appointed as deputy and that 3 years
funding has been achieved for respite outings from Children in Need.
PW reported that they have been awarded a grant from the small Communities Project
Fund and that a consultant, Shona MacLennan, is to bring the business plan up to
date. Mina, the current manager, is retiring this year and it is hoped that she will be
replaced with a full-time qualified manager. It has been acknowledged that the centre
needs promoting. They currently have a 25-year lease on the property and hope to
source funding in order to revamp. They are currently working with the Skye & Wester
Ross College and the John Muir Trust.
8. Patient Transport
No updated information
9. Action Plan Update
The plan was updated.
It was noted that discussion was required at the next meeting re Neil Turner’s backfill,
Detox Clinic and Early Interventions Support Worker post.
Strategy for Carers Training Programme (for NHS and SW staff) commences May 10.
11. Next Meeting
The next meeting will be held at 9.30am on 10 June 2010 at the Locality Office,