MINUTES OF SDHSCA BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
MONDAY, JULY 27, 2009 – 9:00 A.M. CST
Aberdeen Ramkota Inn
1. Meeting called to order by President Rod Garrison. Members present were: Deb Thill, Ken Bruckner,
Bill Weber, Beau Garcia, Arling Likness, Gary Nebelsick, Eldon Marshall, Toby Bryant, Bob Billotto,
Paul Hendry, Allen Weier, Jennifer Deutsch, Tom Rogers, Nate Malchow, Lynn Frederick, David
Dolan, Bill Clements, Kurt Schultz, Mike Beardt, Joey Liesinger, Doug Rinken, Karen Bossman, Jeff
Nugent, Steve Berseth, Max Hawk, Jerry Miller, Wayne Carney, Virg Polak, Judy Busch, Georgia
Adolph, John Nyhaug, Marc Murren, Carmen Robinson, and Connie Nyhaug. Members introduced
2. Minutes of the March 29, 2009 meeting were read. Motion by Hawk, seconded by Billotto to approve
the minutes as read. All voting in favor, the motion carried.
3. Executive Director Dorman gave the financial report. Balance on hand of funds as of June 30, 2009:
Checking-$-3,892.22, Savings-$27,245.94 and Scholarship CD-$50,000.00 Total: $73,353.72.
Motion by Adolph, seconded by Schultz to approve the financial report. All voting in favor, the motion
4. Corporate sponsors for this year are: Burger King, COTY and Hall of Fame rings and Dave Prohl
Memorial Scholarship; Avera, $6,500; SD All Star Committee, $4,000; Graphic Edge, $2,500 and
Foundation Golf Tournament t-shirts; SD National Guard, $1,000; SoDak Track Clinic, college credit;
Gatorade, coolers; and MaxPreps.
5. The agenda for the SDHSCA Annual Meeting to be held on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 was reviewed.
6. Clinic regular and mini sessions were reviewed. Directors are in charge of introductions and keeping
sessions on time.
7. Past President, Ken Bruckner chaired the nominating committee and met after the board meeting.
8. Insurance for this year will be $6.64 per member. The premium for the $1,000,000 liability insurance
is $4.24 and the premium for the $5,000 accidental death and dismemberment insurance is $2.40.
9. President Garrison made the following appointments to the Scholarship Committee for the coming
year: Judy Busch, chair, Georgia Adolph and John Nyhaug.
10. Information was given on NHSACA National Coach of the Year nomination procedures. Two new
categories will be added next year. The categories will be Assistant Coach of the Year in Boys’
Sports and Assistant Coach of the Year in Girls’ Sports. Directors in each area are to get their
nominees to Jim Dorman so they can be submitted.
11. Jerry Miller, Hall of Fame Committee chair, placed the names of Andy Zephier and Fred Tibbetts into
nomination for the NHSACA Hall of Fame. The motion was seconded by Hawk. All voting in favor,
the motion carried.
12. Information was given on the 2010 national conference that will be held at the Sioux Falls Ramkota
on June 19-23, 2010. There will also be a leadership course offered on June 19-20. Two credits will
be offered for the leadership class and three credits will be offered for the clinic. Registration for
South Dakota coaches will be $100 with $40 of that registration applied to the coach’s membership to
the SDHSCA. There will be a drawing at the annual meeting for 2 $100 registration fees for the
national conference. Financial assistance for National Board of Directors, State Executive Director,
SDHSCA President, SDHSCA President-elect and National COTY finalists was discussed. Motion by
Schultz seconded by Weier to reduce the financial assistance by $450 for those members that will not
have a hotel bill at the national convention. The waived amount will be used for sponsorship
expenses of the national convention. All voting in favor, the motion carried.
13. Coach of the Year nominating and balloting procedures were discussed. Nominating and balloting
will continue to be done online.
14. Nominees for the various assistant coaches’ awards were presented and voted on. The winners are:
Boys- Tom Starr of Mitchell, Girls- Carmen Robinson of Yankton and Middle School/Junior High- Sue
Gapp of Aberdeen.
15. The Executive Director, was given the approval to develop a recognition award for
people/organizations that volunteer time/services to the SDHSCA.
16. The All Star Games were discussed. Golf and wrestling will be given one more year to get the
number of participants to an acceptable level. It was discussed whether to allow an individual to
participate in more than one All Star event. No action was taken. All Star coaches for next year are
to be selected and the names sent to the Executive Director.
17. One new constitutional amendment will be voted on at the annual meeting. It would allow the sport
secretary of each sport group to be a member of the Board of Directors.
18. Discussion was held on starting an award in memory of Kathy Larson, a gymnastics coach who
passed away 10-12 years ago. Her sister has been in contact with Jerry Miller concerning details.
The president appointed a committee consisting of Jerry Miller, Lolly Forseth, Judy Busch and the
current president to look into this further and report to the Board at the March meeting.
19. The date for the winter meeting of the Board of Directors will be Sunday, March 28, 2009 at 1:00 P.M.
in Mitchell with the site to be determined.
20. Motion by John Nyhaug, seconded by Murren to adjourn. Motion carried.
Jim Dorman, Executive Director