Docstoc

New Mexico Geographic Information System Advisory Committee - DOC - DOC

Document Sample
New Mexico Geographic Information System Advisory Committee - DOC - DOC Powered By Docstoc
					                                New Mexico Geospatial Advisory Committee

                                        GAC MINUTES
                            New Mexico Geospatial Advisory Committee
                                        December 12th, 2006
                        OFS Conference Room, 3rd Floor, Wendell Chino Building
                                        Santa Fe, New Mexico

Chair: Rick Koehler                                                     Recorder: Mike Inglis
Called to Order: 9:36am

                                Attendees and Organizations Represented
Attendee              Repres.            Attendee      Repres.       Attendee                          Repres.
Leland Pierce         NM Game & Fish        Larry Spear        UNM-DGR            Jon Phillips         Bernalillo Co
Kurt Menke            NMGIC; EDAC           Leslie Bischoff    HPD ARMS           Ben Hollis           NMDOT
Bill Baillargeon      NM SLO                Mike Inglis        EDAC/RGIS          Leonard Padilla      City, Santa Fe
Don Padilla           NMDOT                 Shirley Baros      EDAC/RGIS          Jim Gallegos         City, Santa Fe
Mel Herrera           NMDOT                 Larry Brotman      NM TRD             Erle Wright          Santa Fe Co
Mike Baca             OCIO                  Bob Turner         HPD ARMS           Amanda Hargis        Santa Fe Co
Allen
                      BLM                   Dave Gilbert       NM OEM             Rick Koehler         EMNRD
Bollschweiler
Lance Tyson           NM Game & Fish        Bart Matthews      BHI                Bill Doleman         HPD ARMS
Joel Pearson          NMAC / L.A. County    Jason Fink         City of ABQ        Gar Clarke           OSE


                KEY      Federal    State     Tribal       Local     Private   Educational       NGO

The agenda for the current meeting was approved; after some review and typo corrections, the
minutes for November were approved.

Old Business

 Geographic Data Acquisition Coordination Committee (GDACC) - Mike Inglis reports:
The GDACC Committee met November 16 to review the progress and plans of the statewide
data acquisition projects and to discuss new GDACC Board appointments.

All DOQQs acquired in 2005 have been processed in color and are available through RGIS
either compressed over the web or uncompressed on hard drives. All NM counties have received



              DRAFT
their data and have been asked to be the data stewards for the county as well as the municipalities
and tribal entities within the county.

Once a decision is made on the degree of CIR enhancement to be applied to each image,
processing of all 3,250 DOQQs within the URGWOM study area will begin.

All replacement imagery for the missing or rejected DOQQs was completed in summer of 2006
and processing of that data will be completed by the end of December. Delivery to USGS for
QC is planned for December or early January.



                                                                                                                       1
The NSGIC Imagery for the Nation proposal to congress is being tracked. Dennis Goreham,
Geospatial Coordinator for Utah, is the unofficial western states representative to NSGIC on the
proposal and GDACC will provide its input to Dennis. Leland Pierce, our NSGIC
representative, provided the link and will participate in any proposal recommendations. The
Imagery for the Nation briefing provides the most current perspective on the proposal, and can
be found at this following URL: http://www.nsgic.org/hottopics/imageryofnation.cfm.
However, NM can’t count on the proposal’s success in the near term and will continue on the
present path for the acquisition of imagery.

A new digital elevation model (DEM) based upon the autocorrelation of the control data
acquired in the 1 meter aerial imagery project has been propose for the creation of a new 5 meter
or better statewide DEM. Examples of the 5 meter DEM as well as corresponding 10 meter
DEMs were shown and are now under review. The cost for a statewide coverage is being
developed.

Appointments to the GDACC Board by the Governor are for 2 years and all 8 appointments will
terminate at the end of the December. Janet Greenlee (representing Geospatial Community at
large) and Jon Phillips (representing local government) have stepped down and Jason Fink and
Kathy Anderson Rogers were asked to fill those positions. Both have accepted as has Myron
Armijo (a Governor appointee from the outside of state government). The NM CIO will be
asked to present the GDACC request for new appointments and reappointments to the Governor.

 Strategic Planning – Gar Clarke reports:
In mid-summer 2006 New Mexico received funding from the NGPO/NSDI Partnership Program
for a first phase of geospatial strategic planning in New Mexico. A working group was formed to
create a scope/statement of work (SOW) for this strategic plan. The Statement of Work (SOW)
completed by the Strategic Plan Working Group is now being reviewed by the OCIO for final
approval. Once approved, a request for proposals (not to exceed $50,000) will be issued to
several qualified vendors presently on state purchase agreement. The Working Group will vet
the proposals once they are received.

A second USGS NGPO/FGDC CAP grant opportunity has been announced and should be
considered as possible supplementary Phase II Strategic Plan funds. Due date for application is
January 25, 2007.

Mike Baca reported the GIS C-2 multi-agency legislative request (summary attached) by the
OCIO is moving ahead and the Legislative session “looks good” for a GIS coordinator, as well



          DRAFT
as support for GIS in state government and the acquisition & access to GIS data. The total
request is for $500,000 of which $150K goes to a GIS Coordinator, $300K for services and $50K
for hardware.

   Parcel Workgroup – Larry Brotman and Deniz Berdine:

    … Larry and Deniz met at PTD w/ Appraisal and State Assessed Bureau Chiefs; scheduling
      meeting with Delinquent Properties
    … Plan to schedule with Bill at SLO, State Forestry, DFA, and Lance at Game and Fish
    … Two workgroup meetings are scheduled for January 25 and February 22, 2007 to
      develop a draft Business Plan for the management of parcel data.
                                                                                                   2
    The Parcel Workgroup includes:
     Michael O'Melia, Deniz Berdine, Larry Brotman, Gar Clarke, Erle Wright, Amanda Hargis -
    Santa Fe County, Glenda Vigil - Bernalillo County, Keith Odenheim - Dona Ana County,
    Joel Pearson - Los Alamos County, Jason Miller - San Juan County, Shawn Thornton - Santa
    Fe County, Pete Calahan – Harding County, Someone from NMSU

Nov. 30: Sent first draft of NM Parcel Data Management Business Plan to David Stage in
   preparation for upcoming FGDC Cadastral Data Subcommittee meeting. He will be
   reviewing and revising to fit new format approved by Shelby Johnson from State of Arkansas

On December 5 & 6: Attended FGDC Cadastral Data Subcommittee annual meeting at the BLM
   office in Lakewood, CO.

    Action items:
       … Along w/ David Stage, revise NM business plan to fit new template
       … Build current inventory of NM data to support business plan

   2007 SWUG – Kurt Menke:
          o There is still a need for planning/organizational volunteers; contact Chair Doug
            Strech for more info or to volunteer;
          o Several venues/locations are currently under consideration;
          o The NMGIC Fall 2007 Meeting will be held in conjunction with SWUG

 Review of USGS support letter from GAC – Rick Koehler
Three letters the USGS are being drafted, one each from GAC, the CIO/OCIO, and the State
Engineer/OSE requesting continued support for the USGS Mapping Center and hydro data
(NHD). The USGS had determined to close the Reston, VA, and Rolla, MO Mapping Centers,
and had planned to move some percentage of those operations to Denver, CO, combining them
with the current Denver operations. The Missouri Congressional delegation strongly opposed
the plan and took steps to forestall if not scuttle it. The situation is still up in the air.

 Response to Changing Technological Environment – Rick Koehler
The informal poll is complete, but in interests of moving ahead with other agenda items, the
results will be discussed at a future GAC meeting.

Presentation




          DRAFT
Archaeological Records Management Section (ARMS) – William Doleman of the Historic
Preservation Division, Department of Cultural Affairs
Bill provided an update on ARMS and the geospatial link to the archaeology survey data (Oracle
linked to SDE). The data are accessible by authorized individuals, companies and agencies
needing to access data and information from the more than 7000 sites for impact studies of all
new development within NM. Historic Preservation Division wants to simplify and streamline
data input and access and will be requesting the legislature for funding to continue development.
Additional comments and materials were provided by Leslie Bischoff and Bob Turner of ARMS.




                                                                                                3
New Business

 Election on GAC Chair for 2007 - Rick Koehler
After asking for nominations for GAC Chair for 2007, Larry Brotman of Taxation & Revenue
Department was nominated to serve as Chair for 2007. There were no other nominations. The
GAC membership present voted unanimously in favor of Larry Brotman as the new Chair.
Brotman agreed in principle, but asked that he be given an opportunity to confer with his
management before finalizing the deal.

Announcements

 Office of Emergency Management - Dave Gilbert
Dave Gilbert reported that OEM is supporting his efforts to bring geospatial technology to the
Office and will provide him training funds.

 Western Governor’s Association - Rick Koehler
A WGA Conference Call is scheduled for December 14th at 3:00 pm to discuss NSGIC’s
Imagery for the Nation proposal, FGDC cadastral progress, WGA support for USGS, etc.
Rick will draft a letter of support for USGS for review and comment by the WGA
representatives from Arizona and Utah. Gar will draft a position paper on the cadastral needs for
review.

   RGIS Report - Mike Inglis
    o ESRI offered EDAC a copy of their recently released Image Server for evaluation. Kurt
      Menke has now installed the software and has begun the evaluation. No results will be
      available until January.
    o As mentioned in the GDACC report, the 2005 color DOQQ project is winding down and
      we are now preparing for the next data delivery, the 2005 CIR and 2006 reflown imagery.
    o The GIS/E911 Addressing Affiliate requested an RGIS/GDACC presentation at the NM
      Association of Counties Mid Winter Legislative Conference in Santa Fe.

 NMGIC - Kurt Menke
The Fall meeting of NMGIC, NM in 3-D: Past, Present and Future, was one of the most
successful and well attended meetings of NMGIC. The annual organizational NMGIC Board
Meeting will be held in January to elect the 2007 NMGIC President, and assign duties to the
various Board members. Larry Spear of UNM-DGR and Christina Noftsker of NMOSE were
newly elected to the Board, joining incumbents Kurt Menke, Amy Budge, and Rich Friedman.


           DRAFT
    National States Geographic Information Council (NSGIC) - Leland Pierce
                                        th
       o reported on the November 9 conference call with Dennis Goreham, Utah’s GIS
          Coordinator, Rick Koehler, Gar Clarke and Mike Inglis. Dennis and others in
          western states see NSGIC’s Imagery for the nation proposal as favoring eastern states
          and there is a need for equity. The call helped to impress on Dennis NM’s views.
          This is expected to be the first in a series of on-going calls to keep both Dennis and
          GAC/GDACC informed on the proposals progress.
       o Leland will be the contact point for another NSGIC proposal, Transportation for the
          nation.

                                                                                                 4
      Western Governors' Association Geographic Information Council (WGA GIC) - Rick
       Koehler: A WGA Conference Call scheduled for December 14th at 3:00 pm to discuss
       NSGIC’s Imagery for the Nation proposal, FGDC cadastral progress, WGA support for
       USGS, etc. Rick will draft a letter of support for USGS for review and comment by the
       WGA representatives from Arizona and Utah. Gar will draft a position paper on the
       cadastral needs for review.

      Resource Geographic Information System (RGIS) - M. Inglis
       o ESRI offered EDAC a copy of their recently released Image Server for evaluation.
          Kurt Menke has now installed the software and has begun the evaluation. No results
          will be available until January.
       o As mentioned in the GDACC report, the 2005 color DOQQ project is winding down
          and we are now preparing for the next data delivery, the 2005 CIR and 2006 re-flown
          imagery.
       o The GIS/E911 Addressing Affiliate requested an RGIS/GDACC presentation at the
          NM Association of Counties Mid Winter Legislative Conference in Santa Fe.

      New Mexico Geographic Information Council – Kurt Menke:
       o The Fall meeting of NMGIC, NM in 3-D: Past, Present and Future, was one of the
          most successful and well-attended meetings of NMGIC, with approximately 130
          attendees enjoying the presentations.

Agency Reports

Dave Gilbert with NM Office of Emergency Management, EOC Response/Recovery Bureau
reported that OEM is supporting his efforts to bring geospatial technology to the Office and will
provide him training funds.

Thanks to the DOT folks (Don Padilla, Mel Herrera, and Ben Hollis) for the new state road
maps. They look “mah-vel-ous” (the maps).

The meeting was adjourned by R. Koehler at 11:50 A.M.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be January 9th, 2007, from 9:30am to noon, in Porter Hall (OCD Hearing
Room), 1st Floor, Wendell Chino Building (EMNRD), 1220 S. St. Francis Drive, Santa Fe, NM.


          DRAFT
                                                                                                    5

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:18
posted:9/18/2012
language:Unknown
pages:5