Climate and Climate Change Unit Test Review
Vocabulary to Review
windward, leeward, and rain shadow albedo
(Thermal) heat capacity eccentricity, obliquity, precession, insolation,
global climate greenhouse gases
climate global warming
pollen thermohaline circulation
ice core positive feedback loop, negative feedback loop
1. Why is there such a big difference between the climates of coastal cities and cities on leeward sides of mountains?
(words to use: leeward, windward, heat capacity, rain shadow)
2. How do scientists use the following climate proxies to study past climates?
Tree rings, ice cores (CO2, oxygen isotope ratio, dust evidence), lake sediment cores with fossil pollen
3. Explain in detail how the tilt and orbit of the Earth causes seasons and affects angle of sunlight and hours of daylight at poles
4. What would happen to the Earth’s climate if the tilt of the Earth’s axis was to decrease (become less than 23.5)?
What would happen to the Earth’s climate if the tilt of the Earth’s axis was to increase (become more than 23.5)?
5. Describe the following orbital variations: (include length of cycle)
Eccentricity of orbit, Obliquity of axis , Orbital precession, Axial precession
6. These orbital variations together are called __________________
7. What do these cycles have to do with global climate?
8. Explain how surface and density currents affect global climate.
9. Explain how the greenhouse effect works and list two greenhouse gases.
10. Name 2 main natural ways that carbon dioxide is put into the atmosphere and two natural ways carbon is taken out of the
11. Draw a diagram of the carbon cycle showing reservoirs and fluxes. Explain carbon’s role in rising temperatures.
12. Phenology, what is it and why is it significant..
13. How has carbon produced by people (anthropogenic carbon) changed the carbon cycle?
14. Give 3 effects of global warming.
15. Give 3 ways that we can reduce global warming.
16. Describe and give one example of a positive feedback loop. Do the same for a negative feedback loop.
17. List the biomes in order of increasing albedo.
17. Mark an area on the graph that shows an ice age.
18. Mark an area on the graph that shows a time in between ice ages (interglacial).
19. Describe how the shape f the CO2 line above compares to the temperature line above
20. Describe the lengths and impacts of el nino and la nina