CAVELAND EDUCATIONAL SUPPORT CENTER
ADVISORY Council MEETING
September 24, 2010
Allen Janet Cooke Barren Bowling Green Vicki Writsel
Butler Celeste Hinton Caverna Susan Mathews Cumberland Dennis Smith
Edmonson Dale Ashley Glasgow Green Rhonda Simpson
Hart Logan Barry Goley Metcalfe Kim Hawkins
Monroe Jamie Conkin Russellville Kaye Wilkins Simpson Shelia Baugh
Todd Kim Justice Warren Vivian Hudson
RTC Bill Porter WKU KSD
KAES Alex Fitzpatrick KSB Betsy Flener
Pam Coe, Director
Marcus Pedigo – Campbellsville University
Jane Bowman – Campbellsville University
Call to Order and Introductions
The Caveland Educational Support Center Advisory Council met for its monthly meeting on September
24, at GRREC.
Reports were posted online.
We are beginning on our new budget and we are in better shape than last. Due to multiple retirements
we are contracting with Patti Whetstone to help with the alternate assessment training and WHAS
Grant. We are also contracting with Paula Borland to assist with facilities coordination for the Job and
Transition Fair. We have also budgeted for a contract AT consultant and Paula will be willing to do that
on a limited commitment.
New Co-Teaching Training - September 30, 2010
KDE Start of Year Training - September 30, 2010 – Registration is through KDE instead of GRREC
Backpacks of Literacy, The Cay - October 28, 2010 – Will be opening registration up to the River Region
Linking the ACT to Successful Transition – October 29, 2010 – Strongly recommends to get your
secondary individuals registered for this important training.
Why Try Training – December 7, 8, 2010 – These dates are tentative. This will be the first time for this
training. There will be a charge but participants will get all of the materials. We do not have the cost yet
on this training but will be getting it out soon.
We are beginning our fall reporting period for KCMP. You can pull up the document that says fall
schedule details on website. This schedule lists meeting dates and items that need to be discussed. On
the calendar it says to discuss the manual. Make sure that you connect with your general ed.
colleagues. The document will take you through the year. If what you are doing is working then that will
be part of your data analysis. We strongly encourage you to use these activities to evaluate your
activities to increase them. Pam’s suggestion while coming up with activities is to develop one strong
activity that is likely to positively impact your data. Focus on 9, 10, 11, & 12 for this month. Pam asked
everyone to divide up into small groups to talk amongst themselves. Share how you are going to
construct your DRT meetings, and if you have barriers on pulling those people together for those
meetings then discuss those. Talk about the data for the indicators for this month. How are you planning
your DRT Meetings? Allen County may break it down this year instead of the large groups. One district
meets as a large group and then they divide out into small groups and then have another meeting with
the same structure.
Coop Network Update
Network met last week. The Parent Instruction Resource Center, www.kypirc.org, presented to
We have had many discussions on having documents translated into multiple languages. The
goal is to share those documents and hopefully the state will be keeping a library. If you are in
need, please contact Pam. Also had a conversation about excusals. You do not need to excuse
an SLP if there is an SLPA in attendance for the SLP. First Steps coordination lost some of their
funding. Some discussion on the preschool RTI. Paula Goff said that the interventions should be
listed within the staff notes. Plans for program reviews are still being considered there will
probably be three levels instead of the pass fail. Larry is now over KSB and KSD. ARRA Dollars –
misuse and fraud email will be going out on this. Will be looking at suspensions based on
ethnicity. There was a presentation by the Best Buddy Program and it is through Western. It is a
program for children with disabilities who are matched up with a peer who is nondisabled. Pam-
Meet with Best Buddys to set up for them to come to a meeting.
KDE Policy Letter. The very beginning talks about interventions. Learn the four things that are not
being implemented. It is on page three of the Policy Letter. Interventions are not
accommodations but rather changes to instruction. We have had a mentality of what can we
do to get this individual help and make them eligible and we have flexed the rules to where we
are no longer following the rules. Districts with IDEA identification rates of more than 15% must
begin an immediate shift in thinking about eligibility. Must start thinking of IDEA Eligibility rather
than looking for any piece of information to support IDEA eligibility must begin requiring proof
that the student is IDEA eligible. We need to do a minimum of two observations. School
Psychologists in our region are working on training on Observations. Discussed the use with RTI
and the concerns of the group about the policy letter concerning funding and the process of
One meeting already and the next meeting is this coming Tuesday. The challenges are that this
is new information for some individuals and not new info for others. Right now trying to get the
Cadres trained and getting everyone on the same level of knowledge. They want a district plan
for every district. Start thinking about how you are going to rollout awareness within their district.
The first part of the plan is to provide professional development in the districts, problem solving is
the second plan, and then the final plan is to have model sites. Caveland is supposed to have
their model sites by next year. The conditions are 1- preschool, 1-elementary, 1-middle school,
and 1-high school. The other stipulation is that the model site must have at least 3 students with
Autism. Prefer to have a model site with people who already have some skills. If you are
interested in being a model site please get that information to Deb and let her know what you
are interested in and also the school and age group. The other stipulation is to be willing to let
your people attend trainings and willing to allow people to come in and observe. Once you
have the model site up and running there will continue to be visitors. The final requirement is the
possibility of having to purchase materials.
VI Early Childhood Training
Betsy handed out a calendar that has all of the dates that deals with visual impairment. If you
would like to send one of your students to the short term program you can contact Betsy to help
set up that registration.
We submitted WHAS Grant. The largest barriers are with the lack of communication systems. It is
very difficult because of the technology changing so rapidly. It is also hard to assess a child to
find out what they need. That is the reason for the AAC Grant. We do not have dates yet set for
this grant. The tentative dates were handed out. The group was asked if we should bring in the
administrators to discuss this grant but they felt that was not necessary. Be thinking about who
you would like to have attend.
Instructional Supervisor-Alex Fitzpatrick
A huge turmoil from content to common core standards.
RTI Documents-would love if you could share documents that you use in your district with me.
How can GRREC support you with your efforts with RTI?
Sheila asked about billing Medicaid and how they have lifeskills in their building almost all the
time. They do not put that on their IEP. They were asking for a list of all of the students with IEP so
that they would not bill Medicaid as well. Most districts have a district contract with these types
Marcus and Jane
They are working with Campbellsville University now. They have a grant called the Casey grant.
They will now be coming to the coop meetings so they can stay up to date on information within
districts. *Would like to be on the agenda next month.
Regional Interagency Transition Team Report
The next meeting is scheduled for August 19.
RTC Report - Bill Porter
Deb Myers will be put in the place of Monday at 3:00 discussing Inclusion.
The Cohort lists of where you will have your preschool program review visit have changed. The
updated list was handed out. The main change is the ones doing the pilot have been moved to
the end. We will start notifying cohort 3 in the spring.
Cindy asked if there was anything that you needed, especially those that are new, or if you had
any questions to contact her. Oct. 13 is the leadership training for RTC.
Would like to discuss addressing preschool after leadership. *Schedule preschool discussion in
the afternoon at the next meeting.
WKU Report – Dr. Patti Whetstone
The next meeting is scheduled for October 22, 9:00 am at GRREC.