CREATE USER DOCUMENTATION
Task Sheet 2
Using the website - http://www.techscribe.co.uk/ta/how-to-write-user-documentation.htm, answer the
1. List two reasons for producing user guides?
2. Why is it important to do an audience analysis?
3. What is the best way to determine the tasks and procedures that people perform?
4. Go to the link http://www.techscribe.co.uk/techw/improving_user_instructions.htm and read
the original document and then the modified document.
List the improvements made (text- wise and style-wise) to the documentation.
5. What is the difference between a ‘user guide’ and a ‘reference guide’?
6. Go to the link http://www.techscribe.co.uk/techw/user_guides.htm :
i. What are the three basic things that users with little experience need from
ii. Why is a ‘getting started guide’ useful documentation?
iii. What type of user are reference manuals intended for?
7. Go to the link http://www.techscribe.co.uk/techw/paper_v_online.htm :
i. List the different type of users there are.
ii. List the type of documentation recommended for each type of user.
Go to the link http://www.techscribe.co.uk/ta/how_to_write_instructions.htm and make a copy of this
information for future reference. You may find this useful when creating your own user documentation.
TAFE NSW – Western Sydney Institute 6f215d12-06ff-4a0b-b20d-32d86cf5e8d8.doc
Created: KSinnerton - 05/05/2008 Modified: 17/09/2012
Version: 1.1 Page 1 of 1