Newspaper Tableau Assignment
Newspaper Article Title:__________________________________________________
Using the Newspaper Articles:
1. Get your newspaper article from the teacher.
2. Get into groups of THREE or FOUR and read all of your newspaper articles aloud to the rest of your group.
3. Once everyone has read their article to the rest of the group, pick ONE article to work on together. Be
sure to pick the article that best fits the description for this assignment.
4. Write the name of your newspaper article on the top of this worksheet.
Creating a series of Tableau:
5. As a group, create a tableau which shows the high point of drama from the newspaper article. Call this
TABLEAU TWO. Get up on your feet and do it!
6. Then, create a tableau which precedes tableau 2 in time. This may be another moment from the
newspaper article, or it may be something you invent. Call this TABLEAU ONE. Get up on your feet and do
this one too!
7. Now, create a tableau that comes after the first one you created (tableau 2). This tableau should give
some sense of resolution or completion to the story. This may be another moment from the newspaper
article or it may be something you invent. Call this TABLEAU THREE. Get up on your feet and do this one!
8. Rehearse the series of three tableaux that you have created. Rehearse them in order: 1, 2, & 3.
9. Be sure to use NEUTRAL TRANSITIONS between each of your scenes. Remember, some actors may need
to play different characters in different tableaux. Make sure to practice these transitions.
10. Once you have rehearsed the series of three tableaux, come up with a creative HEADLINE for your
performance. You will announce your headline to the class before you perform.
11. Remember the four main elements of tableau (look in your notes for a reminder!)
12. Rehearse your tableau and prepare to share your work NEXT CLASS.
Newspaper Tableau Evaluation Rubric
Level 1 (50-59%) Level 2 (60-69%) Level 3 (70-79%) Level 4 (80-100%) Achievement:
The tableau series has no The tableau series has the The tableau series has good The tableau series has strong
focal point, few or no potential for a focal point, focal points, good levels, focal points, consistent use of
levels, and most characters some levels, and some sense and a good number of varied levels, and all -1+ -2+ -3+ -4+
are static. of characters. Some characters who are mostly characters are captured in
characters are static and captured in mid action. mid action.
some are dynamic.
The group does not use The group attempts to use Some members of the All members of the group use
facial expressions to facial expressions to group use effective facial excellent and appropriate
communicate emotion or communicate emotion or expressions to facial expressions to -1+ -2+ -3+ -4+
story. story to the audience. communicate to the communicate to the
The group does not make The group attempts to make The group has good use of The group makes excellent
use of neutral transitions use of neutral transitions neutral transitions between use of neutral transitions -1+ -2+ -3+ -4+
between each tableau between each tableau freeze. each tableau freeze. between each tableau freeze.
The group has not named The group has used the The group has come up The group has come up with
or titled their tableau newspaper article title as the with a creative title for and presented an excellent -1+ -2+ -3+ -4+
series. name of their tableau series. their tableau series. title for their tableau series.