VIEWS: 0 PAGES: 1 POSTED ON: 9/18/2012
Brief history of Mater Dolorosa Church An online history of Mater Dolorosa (no longer online) indicated the following: Mater Dolorosa, located in the historical Carrollton section of New Orleans, began in a humble borrowed house on Maple Street in 1848. It was first known as the Church of St. Mary of the Nativity. Then in 1868, a school was opened and called the Carrollton Parochial School. However, the turmoil in Europe was heard across the Atlantic and within the next three years a new church was built opposite to St. Mary's for the Germans and was soon called Mater Dolorosa leaving St. Mary's to the French worshipers. Very soon Mater also had its own school to serve the German children. Finally, by 1898 the division was healed and Mater Dolorosa emerged as the church for the faithful of Carrollton. The original bells "James", "Francis", and "Maria" still call the parishioners to worship in the glow of the magnificent stained glass windows that depict the life of Mary, the mother of Christ.
Pages to are hidden for
"Brief history of Mater Dolorosa"Please download to view full document