"GALILEO Interconnected Libraries - DOC"
GALILEO Interconnected Libraries Steering Committee Meeting Minutes Location: Macon State College, Building K Date/Time: 6 February 2004 at 10:00a.m. Attending: Pat Borck (Macons State College) Laura Burtle (Georgia State University) Ray Calvert (Coastal Georgia Community College) Bill Clayton (University of Georgia) Tom Frieling (Bainbridge College) George Gaumond (Valdosta State University Lynn Kelly (Waycross College) Bede Mitchell (Chair - Georgia Southern University) Merryll Penson (BOR/OIIT) Crit Stuart (Georgia Institute of Technology), Phil Williams (BOR/OIIT) Minutes from the August 2003 GIL Steering Committee meeting were approved. -----------------------Start of proposal---------------------------- Review of GIL Express Functional Committee Policy Recommendation from GIL Express Committee – As requested by the GIL Steering Committee, the GIL Express Functional Committee has discussed the issue of when to block GIL Express patrons at the Home Library when these same patrons have at least one overdue item. After much discussion, it became clear that, of all of those who responded, all but one person favored keeping the restrictions as they currently exist. Recognizing that there is an equal passion at least on the part of some on the GIL Steering Committee for making this policy less restrictive we would like to propose a compromise. We feel that until we can collect our own data compromise is the best way to proceed: Proposal: We offer two choices to each Library Director or appointed proxy: One book/one day overdue to block privileges at the Home Library Or One book/seven days overdue to block privileges at the Home Library -----------------------End of proposal---------------------------- After a brief discussion, this Committee agreed that the “option” offered to each library to block GIL Express home patrons after incurring an overdue of either 1-day or 7-days provided needed latitude. A vote was taken which unanimously accepted the recommendation of the GIL Express Functional Committee. This Committee will review the policy “one year out”, assisted by analysis that will be prepared by the GIL Express Functional Committee. UB / UC Recommendation for RACL – Shall we proceed to use GIL Express? Bede summarized the GIL Steering and RACL Committees meeting with Endeavor in Atlanta January 29, reporting that it was not completely satisfactory. Ultimately the two System groups felt that the System should move ahead with GIL Express in spite of the imperfection of the GIL Express service. • When asked how long it might take to “roll out” GIL Express, Phil says “next month (March)”. The UC is available and functional, but there are still problems. Bob Trotter has done a lot of good work to help us overcome some deficiencies. If this works well, Trotter will be “owed a lot” for his effort (the sense that Endeavor actually “owes” Bob.) Bede suggests that Bob might receive special recognition at GUGM 2004, which the group endorses. Overall, Phil and Merryll say GIL Express should benefit us in this imperfect state so that we should proceed with turning it on. If we wait for Endeavor to “fix the bugs in GIL Express”, the earliest would be summer 2004, and in all likelihood, not all problems would be solved, given Endeavor’s track record to date. • Endeavor is OK with Georgia setting up a Unicode “test server” to launch GIL Express (a change in the way Endeavor has historically done business) sometime in May. Then in late summer, we would switch over all service to Unicode (a 10-day effort to migrate all production servers in USG). The system would be turned back “on” to staff about a week prior to fall semester. Only then would elements like “redirect” from local catalog to UC become functional. If Unicode did not run well on the test server, the proposal to migrate in late summer would not happen. (Could delay Unicode until December, or later). • Our options: i. wait for major fixes from Endeavor (who knows when) ii. go forward now iii. scrap UC The bottom line for both GIL Steering and RACL is that we “not fall on our face”. Understanding that the service is not perfect, this Committee recommends to RACL that we “go forward”. Phil suggests that as soon as all local databases are clean (asap), UC be re-built as early as end-of-February so that GIL Express can be initiated. This reload would take 5-6 days plus 2 to re-index. Bill Clayton suggests we begin to use UB right away so that this experience informs the future. Phil as well says we should turn GIL Express on for all libraries as soon as Claire Colombo gives the green light. Claire has a number of tasks and efforts to do first. RESOLUTION: Based on recent conversations with Endeavor, GIL Steering Committee recommends that the implementation proceed. Bede will prepare a memo from this committee to RACL recommending that efforts to put GIL Express in production proceed ahead, with risks indicated. GUGM 2004 report Crit updated the group. The GUGM 2004 Planning committee is on track with session development. Twenty sessions are identified, and will be in finished form by Friday, February 20. Sessions are a mix of best practices in basic routines, emerging initiatives with implications for all System libraries, and launch of GIL Express. • This Committee will be sent a draft of GUGM 2004 no later than Monday, February 23, for their awareness. • Critical dates related to GUGM 2004: February 13 E-mail announcement to System libraries that early registration launches on March 1 February 20 Sessions defined March 1 Early registration launches; cost $25 per person April 16 Early registration ends; after this, registration is $40 May 20 GUGM 2004 at Macon College Report from Director of Virtual Library Support (Phil Williams) Phil reviewed “Apache logs” – showing the various data one can harvest regarding patron activity in the UC. Phil will continue to expand the analysis of data in Apache logs to provide insight that will benefit us. Examples are “types of searches in the catalog”, “originating domains for individuals (around the world) using the UC”, etc.. Apache is freeware. Soon Phil will give Susan Curtis’ OPAC committee both raw and report-styled data to consider the relative merit and usefulness. Phil will then tweak his reports, and turn these over to the other service sites to put up the reports and apply the analysis locally. • Phil also demo-ed Docutek e-reserve system at GSU. Report from Executive Director (Merryll Penson) GIL Reports / Cataloging Reports / UC Server Reports / GIL Standard Reports: Merryll wants feedback on how to make these reports useful, especially as they can be an effective tool to justify continued support for GIL. We may need to aggregate different data from GIL. Might be nice to move beyond standard statistics (on books) to things like number of e-journals and databases. The more we keep these reports succinct, the more useful they might be perceived. (Phil reminds us that Endeavor has not taken an interest in developing consortium-wide reports). • ??? -- Discussion regarding better clarity on the principal GIL catalog search page: “Georgia Virtual Universal Catalog” vs. “Universal Catalog – Combined GIL Catalogs of the University System of Georgia” . . . add “Search Combined Catalogs . . . “ and add a 2nd line that says “Expanded Search Options . . .” • GIL Costs for next year o Merryll provided a “draft” projection of GIL expenses for FY 2005. Randall Thursby indicates he does not intend to cut-back either 2.5% this fiscal, or the additional 5% next year from GIL operations. o Changes in costs for individual libraries will vary according to relative enrollments . . . most schools can expect some increase in costs (except for GT and Medical College). o The bottom line projection for FY 2005 is that Central costs will remain same, and Institution costs will increase a total of ~ $80,000. 7. Reports from Functional Committee Liaisons • Only report from functional committees (OPAC) is that a correction was applied to “quick search” to allow for the accidental / unintentional insertion of superfluous spaces. 8. Merryll reported on potential to provide feedback / input on service sites: will invite feedback from both Directors and Coordinators at each school. Old Business: " For libraries still using SSN as the patron barcode, there are two issues: i. For libraries still using SSN as barcode: when the decision is made to move off of it onto a different ID, those SSNs will still be in barcode records in the local system. We’ve asked Endeavor to give us the cost to write script to delete those barcode numbers. Only GT and Kennesaw have taken care of this problem. Endeavor says it will cost $1500 to write such a script, and $750 per library to run the script. Merryll feels that central office could pay for programming, and each institution would then pay the $750 to clean the local database of SSNs. No school can do this procedure until it decides to move off the SSN. Once SSNs are “history”, then these appearances of inactive SSN barcodes can be stripped out via the special script. ii. Once libraries no longer use SSNs: when a library wants to secure the web-to-server access for things like “accessing patron accounts”, this is where the SSL should be applied to encrypt for security. GSU and GT are currently running SSLs. New Business: Merryll reports that Metasearch software update . . . we are about to embark on a pilot project with Gwinnett Public Library to experiment with WebV. Their customers would go through their catalog to simultaneously search across varied content. • Laura Burtle wonders if anyone is going to purchase MARC-It (GSU is moving away from Serials Solutions). GSU might buy this, but wants to know if anyone has any advice. Next Meeting: 20 May 2004 Recorder: Crit Stuart