AP WORLD HISTORY Name___________________
Do-It- Yourself DBQ Project Period ______
Students will research and then create their own document-based question (DBQ) in AP
World History. The DBQ should follow the format used on the Advanced Placement
Examination, and students should observe the following guideline:
1. The question should be phrased using one of the following key terms or phrases:
-Defend or refute
-To what extent and in what ways
-Assess the validity
-Contrast and compare
See Baron’s, pp. 17-23 or Princeton, pp. 35-47.
2. The DBQ must contain a minimum of 9 and a maximum of 15 primary source
documents. These documents should consist of journals, letters, diaries, newspaper
articles, poems, photographs, paintings, speeches, maps, laws or proclamations,
quotations, and political cartoons. At least one of each of the following must be included:
-painting or photograph
-letter, diary, or journal
-Law or Proclamation
4. The DBQ should be typed and checked for spelling and grammar.
5. Each document must be identified by the author, title, and date of the work.
6. The DBQ must include a bibliography, listing the source for each document. This
should follow the APA Writing Guide.
7. Essay Response: Students should turn in an essay answering the DBQ. This will be
evaluated according to the 9 point AP scale!
8. Grading: This is a Quarter Project and worth 100points. See Rubric!!!
Do It Yourself DBQ Grading Rubric ______________________
The Question Uses one of the required key 10 points possible
terms. Deals with a
significant topic or event
from 1500 to 1914ce Your score _______
Historical Paragraph provides significant 10 points possible
Background and necessary information.
Your score _______
Documents Includes at least 9 and no 40 points possible
more than 15 documents,
Includes at least one of each of
the following: quotation, map,
painting, photograph, letter,
diary, journal, law,
proclamation. Your score _______
Spelling and grammar The DBQ should be free of 10 points possible
spelling and grammar errors.
Your score _______
Citation Each document must be 10 points possible
identified by author, title, and
date. Your score _______
Bibliography The DBQ must include 10 points possible
bibliography, listing the
source for the document. This
should follow the APA style. Your score _______
Essay 9 points possible Your score_______
Total Points Possible 100 Points Your Total Score