Guardianship, Part II Orders and Enduring Powers of Attorney
Date : Wednesday, 26 September 2012 Language : English
Time : 9:30 am – 11:30 pm
Point : 2 CPD points Venue : Joint Professional Centre
Fee : HK$810 Unit 1, G/F.,
Level : Intermediate The Center, 99 Queen’s Road
Central, Hong Kong
(1) To equip the legal profession with practical knowledge on managing the finance and welfare of
mentally incapacitated person as well as the relevant orders and advance instruments that can
be obtained for the purpose.
(2) To update the legal profession with the most recent changes of the law relating to enduring
powers of attorney and the development of further reform of the law in the foreseeable future.
About the course:
The course consists of 3 parts covering the following issues:
Guardianship - Guardianship conceptual framework, mental health law history, local ordinance and
international development, Part IVB of Mental Health Ordinance, its legal framework and application,
definition of mentally incapacitated person, criteria on guardianship, Re: C  1 WLR 290 Family
Division mental capacity law, financial powers of guardian, medical powers of guardian, case-
Part II Orders - Emergency order, section 24 Order, Committee Order and statutory will.
Enduring Powers of Attorney - Meaning and purpose, Cap. 501 and Cap 31 of Laws of Hong Kong,
1st LRC Consultation for simplication in 2007 and its Report 2008, Amendment to Cap. 501 on 21
December 2011. 2nd Consultation in 2009 and its Report on 11 July 2011, extension of scope to
Personal Care and new supervisory powers to Court and Guardianship Board.
About the presenter:
Charles Chiu, Chairperson, Guardianship Board
Charles Chiu was appointed the full-time Chairperson of Guardianship Board of Hong Kong SAR in
February 2003. He has practised law in Hong Kong and Australia since 1981. He is a panel
arbitrator and mediator of HKIAC. Currently, he is the Chairman of Haven of Hope Hospital and
Haven of Hope Christian Service of Hong Kong. He is also a member of Hospital Authority’s sub-
1. Enrolments will be accepted on a first-come first-served basis.
2. Places cannot be reserved by facsimile. Registrations will only be accepted upon full payment of the course fee and receipt of the registration form.
3. If you cannot attend a booked course, written notification must be received by the Academy at any time before the date of the booked course and
then you may either: 1. transfer your booking to a replacement delegate; or 2. transfer, up to 3 times, your booking to another Academy course of
same value within 6 months of your written notification. If you still cannot attend the booked course after you have utilised the 3 transfers of your
booking, no further transfers will be allowed and the course fees paid will be forfeited unless notice of cancellation is received in accordance with the
4. Notice of cancellation of a booking must be given so that it reaches the Academy not less than seven (7) days before the date of the course and is
subject to an administration fee. This fee is presently set at HK$100. Cancellations received after this time will not be accepted - the registration fee
will remain payable and shall under no circumstances be refunded. Registrations are transferable to another person at any time before
commencement of the course provided that the Academy is notified in advance.
5. If the course becomes full and you wish to have your name entered onto the waiting list of this course, please complete the enrolment slip and
return it to the Academy together with the payment of the appropriate course fee. You will be notified before the date of the course if we are able to
offer you a place at the course. A registrant whose enrolment is unsuccessful will receive a refund of the appropriate course fee.
6. Please click here for the Bad Weather Policy.
7. Please click here for the CPD Attendance Policy which applies to those who wish to claim CPD points from the Law Society of Hong Kong.
8. The Hong Kong Academy of Law reserves the right to alter the contents, speakers(s) or otherwise of this course, or cancel this course.
Re: Guardianship, Part II Orders and Enduring Powers of Attorney,
Wednesday, 26 September 2012 (260912A)
To: Hong Kong Academy of Law, 3rd Floor, Wing On House, 71 Des Voeux Road Central, HK
(Attention: Mr. Dan Yiu / Ms. Grace Lee - Tel: 2846 0587 / 2846 0585; Fax: 2846 8801)
(full name as on identity card or practising certificate or trainee solicitor contract)
Occupation: I am (please tick as appropriate)
a Solicitor a Barrister a Trainee Solicitor
(others, please specify) :
Solicitor No: Year of admission: Trainee: First/ Second year (if applicable)
(if applicable) (if applicable)
I enclose a cheque made payable to “Hong Kong Academy of Law Limited” for $ _ _ in payment
for the above course.
I have read and accepted the Enrolment Conditions attached to the course flyer.