BOURTON ON THE WATER PARISH COUNCIL
MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF BOURTON ON THE WATER
PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON WEDNESDAY 2ND NOVEMBER 2011
AT 7.30PM IN THE VICTORIA HALL, BOURTON ON THE WATER
Present: Cllrs B Sumner (Chair), J Cowen, B Harden, R Johnes, A MacCurrach, H Macklin, A Palmer, J
Stocker, B Wragge.
PC Brewer reported that recent year on year crime figures confirmed a 20% drop to a total of 112 reported
crimes during the past 12 months. Criminal damage crimes are down 40% which reflects the effectiveness of
Police patrols, community work and public information; the local team continue to do a lot of work within local
schools, with which they have a good working relationship. The recent Neighbourhood Coordination meeting
was very well attended and one of the next quarter’s priorities for Bourton will be speeding in Rissington Road.
Public Questions: Jenny Stanfield sought further information about measures being taken to reduce speeds
in Rissington Rd, and PC Brewer confirmed that speed recording devices have already been installed to
gather data, which will then guide the Police regarding appropriate action, which will include education, advice
and enforcement, if needed. Cllr Wragge confirmed the benefit of the Neighbourhood meetings in identifying a
wide range of issues relevant to a community’s general wellbeing, and PC Brewer confirmed that the meeting
agendas had expanded to give the public the opportunity to discuss many issues of general concern.
11/114: Apologies for Absence:
Apologies were accepted from Cllr T Faulkner.
11/115: Declarations of Interest in Agenda Items
There were no declarations of interest in any agenda items.
11/116: Minutes of the meeting held on 5th October 2011
11/101: Ward Councillor Report: The typing error on the last line of the paragraph was amended to read “in
this and outlying villages”. Subject to this amendment, Cllr Stocker proposed and Cllr Wragge seconded that
the minutes be accepted as a true record. Unanimous agreement of those present in October.
11/117: Matters Arising from the Minutes
11/100: Matters Arising:
Bye-Laws: DCLG re-confirm that legislation that will enable Council to revoke existing bye-laws and establish
new ones will be issued within weeks – the Clerk will chase for soonest notification.
Street Lighting repairs: Despite GCC reports to the contrary, both street lights at Roman Way and Station Rd
remain unrepaired – this has been reported and the Clerk will monitor and report.
11/102 VMC Report - Trees: The Licence to Cultivate for all trees to be taken on by the Parish Council was
signed today - all willow trees at Lansdowne are in the Conservation Area and will therefore require
consultation with Tree Officers and a Tree Works application to be submitted before works can begin.
11/103 PFC Report - Naight fence: The contractor is awaiting material costs before quoting – these works will
be instructed by the PFC on condition the eventual quote is within the agreed budget.
11/111 Correspondence – Stow Youth Club: A meeting has been arranged for 7th November – Cllrs Wragge &
Macklin will report to the December meeting.
11/112 AOB: Cllr Johnes confirmed he will attend the Safer Stronger Communities meeting on 15th December.
11/118: Ward District Councillors Report on Matters Affecting the Parish
Cllr Jeffery encouraged Council to respond to the Core Strategy consultation which asks communities to
identify local commercial/industrial sites to ensure parish wishes are taken into account regarding the
appropriate location for this type of development in the village in future years. She also advised that training
sessions are being planned during November for those residents who wish to receive training in the use of
defibrillators which are located in Bourton and surrounding villages. Cllr Wilkins advised the Council that there
are a number of planning applications being prepared that will be of considerable interest to the village which
will be put out to consultation in the near future.
11/119: Village Maintenance Report
Cllr Johnes reported on the following:
Jubilee Orchard: The space is nearing completion, and thanks were offered to John Hackling for providing an
excellent boundary wall. The volunteer Working Party were also thanked for their help with clearing this space
and tree planting, as well as various other jobs around the village, all of which help enormously in relieving
pressure on the village maintenance budget. Cllr Johnes proposed an additional general litter bin be
purchased out of the agreed budget and installed adjacent to the existing bin to address high levels of litter
generated here in summer, seconded by Cllr Palmer. Unanimous agreement.
Welcome signage: The committee is split over this project and this issue will be discussed further.
Parish Mapping service: A 28 day free trial has been taken out, and the committee will investigate potential
benefits and report to the next meeting.
Trees – Station Rd: The works at this location have been completed to the satisfaction of both the committee
and adjacent residents.
Trees – Lansdowne: The committee is awaiting a quote from the tree surgeon, following a further on-site
inspection. Once received, and if within the agreed budget, a programme of works will then be discussed,
agreed and instructed by the Village Maintenance Committee, subject to receiving appropriate permission from
11/120: Playing Field Committee Report
Cllr Johnes reported as follows:
Melville: The new surfacing has been installed under the Pendulum Swing and this work has been signed off.
Rye Close: There is some persistent non-offensive graffiti on the equipment at the Naight and this is being
removed as necessary.
Naight: The new boundary fence has significantly reduced animal mess in the play area; the goal posts will be
installed shortly once the siting has been agreed.
Play Inspections: All issues arising from the annual inspection report have now been addressed.
Play Rangers: The latest quarterly report confirms that the sessions continue to attract high numbers of young
people on a regular basis and offer a wide range of activities. Cllr Wragge reported that Play Ranger sessions
in West Oxon are similarly successful and popular, which reinforces the benefit of this service for local
11/121: Burial & Allotment Committee Report
Cllr Cowen reported as follows:
Jubilee Garden of Remembrance: The committee will seek provision in next year’s budget for benches and
any other items necessary to complete the space before opening it for interments in 2012.
Allotment Rules: In response to Cllr Johnes’ question, Cllr Cowen confirmed that the new Rules did not include
a minimum age restriction and that young people were encouraged to take on allotments subject to a prior
meeting with committee members to ensure they were aware of the responsibilities associated with allotment
tenancy. Cllr Cowen proposed that Council approve the circulated Rules for 2012, seconded by Cllr Johnes.
11/122: Traffic & Footpaths Committee Report
Cllr Wragge reported as follows:
Litter bins: Following a site inspection and discussion at this meeting it was agreed that a new dual purpose
bin with a visible Dog Litter sign will be installed at the junction of Cemetery Lane and Carp Farm track, and a
new Dog Litter bin will be installed at the junction of Carp Farm track and Rissington Rd. The existing bins at
The Avenue and on Lansdowne were considered adequate but high visibility signs will be added to remind
users that these bins are also suitable for dog litter. All costs to be met from the agreed budget.
Footpath signage: In light of letters received from some traders in Moore Rd (circulated), Cllr Sumner
proposed that Council vote to over-ride the 6 month rule, thereby enabling further discussion regarding the
installation of directional signage at the southern boundary of Jubilee Orchard, seconded by Cllr Palmer.
Unanimous agreement. The matter will now be discussed further in light of traders’ comments at the next
committee meeting, which is arranged for 7pm on Wednesday 16th November. This meeting will, as usual, be
open to other councillors and the public, who will be granted a slot at the beginning of the meeting to submit
comments. The committee will then bring a further recommendation to Council in December.
The Avenue: There is a sign at the lower end of The Avenue indicating that cycling is permitted – the
committee will check further with Glos. Public Rights of Way team.
Dropped kerbs: The disability review of the village’s footpaths will take place during the next 3 weeks.
Heavy vehicles in village centre: Residents on Clapton Hill have agreed to help the Council in monitoring and
recording the passage of heavy vehicles down Clapton Hill and into the village centre.
Winter weather: Cllr Wragge proposed Council approve the immediate purchase of 1 ton of grit, to be funded
from the agreed winter weather budget, to ensure stocks can be maximised ahead of the winter weather when
prices may rise and availability may be limited, seconded by Cllr Cowen. Unanimous agreement.
Footpaths: It was agreed that the clearance of the footpath on Lansdowne from overhanging trees will now be
dealt with by the Village Maintenance committee as part of the forthcoming tree works at that location. Thanks
were offered to CDC for agreeing to clear leaves from various additional footpaths around the village.
Cllr Sumner reported as follows:
Core Strategy – new commercial/industrial sites consultation: The Planning committee will respond to the
consultation by requesting that any industrial development is restricted to within the existing Industrial Estate.
Bourton Chase Pond: The source of the sewage pollution into the Pond has now been identified as a leak from
the Thames Water foul water network and this rising main is currently being repaired. The pond has been
cleared but there will be some residual pollution that has already entered the ground that will seep through into
the Pond in the coming weeks, and further action may be needed to clear the pond in due course. This matter
is being monitored by the Environment Agency, who will be responsible for the eventual signing-off of works
when the problem has been resolved.
11/124: Village Green Bookings
The RBL were granted permission for a gazebo in the event of wet weather during Remembrance Sunday
weekend. Cllr Sumner will call a meeting of the committee chairs to review the Rules by the end of the year.
Budget: The cheques itemised on the attached list in the sum of £7,222.70 were presented for approval. Cllr
Palmer proposed, Cllr MacCurrach seconded that expenditure be approved, as submitted. Unanimous
Clerk’s Review: This will be undertaken in November.
11/126: Big Community Offer
The committee met in October with the Minister of State for Health and members of Glos PCT, at which
meeting the community benefit of the project was acknowledged which would enable the Council to negotiate
up to a maximum discount of £250k on the market value. The PCT was instructed to include the Council in
negotiations to purchase the Listed hospital, but to date no further contact has been received. The committee
will seek to engage the PCT in negotiations without delay, and members of George Moore’s family have come
forward to support the project as an appropriate commemoration of his original legacy to the village.
The correspondence circulated to Council was noted and the following actions were agreed:
Road Safety presentation at Cotswold School: Cllr Sumner will attend and report.
Broadband Champions: The appeal for residents to act as a portal for the dissemination of information
regarding Broadband services will be circulated in the Browser and on the web-site.
Fairtrade Initiative: Helen Macklin will meet with the Fairtrade Group and report to Council in December.
Lifecycle: The Council will submit a bid for 1 or 2 cycle racks which are available free of cost to applicants; if
the application is successful it was agreed that the cost of installation will be met out of the general village
EA Groundwater consultation: Responsibility for a response was delegated to the Planning committee.
Glos Fire & Rescue Service Integrated Risk Management Plan: Cllr Johnes will draft a response.
Post Office improvements: The Council welcomed forthcoming changes to the village Post Office which will
result in longer opening hours and a wider range of services being made available for the considerable benefit
of local residents.
11/128: Any Other Business/Reports from representatives on Outside Bodies: for information only.
Casual Vacancy: CDC has finally confirmed that the casual vacancy must be advertised and a Notice will be
displayed giving residents the option to call a poll, before the vacancy can be filled by co-option.
January meeting: Cllr Johnes will chair the meeting in Cllr Sumner’s absence.
11/129: Next Meeting:
The next Council meeting is on Wednesday 7th December at 7.30pm at the Baptist Church Hall.
Howard Crook queried Glos Highways advice not to replace the willows on Lansdowne with a similar species;
CDC’s Tree Officer has since confirmed that willows will be considered a suitable replacement and a Tree
Works application will be submitted on this basis.
CHAIRMAN’S SIGNATURE…………………………………........ DATE:…………….