SpeedComp EDEX Communications Upgrade
Before continuing please PRINT THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
AT&T is making improvements to their secure private network which SpeedComp utilizes to connect you
directly with the DWC’s Central EDEX Database. One of the changes involves a switch of network
protocol from Asynchronous communications to TCP/IP. You will still be using a modem, but a new
(background) dialing method will be used. This document will guide you through installation this
mandatory upgrade. We strongly suggest you act immediately to ensure there is no interruption to your
service. AT&T will shutdown all Asynchronous communications worldwide beginning June 5th, 2006.
If you are not comfortable installing this patch on your own, please feel free to call
SpeedComp Technical support at (562) 430-5349 and have our technical personnel
walk you through the installation.
—BEFORE YOU BEGIN—
Make sure you have a backup of your most current “spedcomp” folder.
This installation must be performed on the computer that physically has the modem installed.
Open SpeedComp on that computer, and:
From the Transmission menu, select Setup Modem.
On the Expedite Base Setup window presented to you, click Continue …
From the Setup Options screen, write down the name of your currently selected modem
Click the Cancel button on the right hand side of the screen.
A dialog box will be presented that indicates your Expedite Base modem setup profile has
not been saved.
Click OK and an Expedite Base window will open. Your modem will dial the network
and verify your current asynchronous connection, then disconnect.
Next, ensure you have the login credentials for your company:
From the Transmission menu, select Change Passwords/Phone Number:
Write down your information from the 3 fields corresponding to the data inside the red
This information will be requested later and represents:
Your Network Account: STGP (called Account later)
Your Network User ID: STGP### (called User ID later)
Your Network Account Password: ***** (called Password later)
Write it down, with the modem information you recorded earlier.
Click the Cancel and Exit button and you will be returned to SpeedComp.
Once again, ensure that the following installation is performed on the computer that physically
has the modem installed. This is the workstation with the telephone line connected to it.
1. Close all instances of SpeedComp that may be running, including “SpeedComp Unattended
Transmission.” There are shared files which must be modified, and you will need exclusive use of
them during this installation.
2. Make sure you have made a current backup of your SpeedComp Live folder. If you do not have
in-house technical support and need assistance with this. Please call SpeedComp Technical
support at (562)493-6652.
3. Return to the web page where you downloaded this installation document.
proceed to step 3 (circled in red above) and click on the appropriate link for the Windows
operating system on your computer. A dialog box similar to the one below should open:
Click the Save button to save the file on your Computer.
4. Make sure the Desktop is selected as the destination:
Click the Save button to download your file.
5. After the file has been downloaded:
Click the Close button.
6. Return to the web page, and close it.
7. Locate the downloaded file on your desktop. Based upon your operating system, it’s icon should
look similar to this one:
Double click the appropriate icon.
8. The following dialog box will appear:
Click the Setup to start the InstallShield Wizard.
9. The InstallShield Wizard should display:
Click the Next button, and tell the wizard where your “Live” directory is located. The default is
c:\SpedComp\live. If you have a stand alone installation not on your c: drive or you are using a
multi user installation on a network drive, click the Browse button, and navigate to your “Live”
folder, wherever it might be. Then click OK to return to the wizard.
10. Click the Next button in the wizard.
11. Click the Install button, and the wizard will copy files to the “Live” folder designated earlier.
12. Click Finish to exit the InstallShield Wizard. The wizard will launch a FoxPro window that looks
13. Use the space bar as the any key and press it 5 consecutive times. Your screen should look like
this, minus the text in red. The numbers in red represent each press of the space bar.
14. Pressing the space bar the sixth time will launch the Expedite Base for Windows 4.6.2 installer.
There will also be another “Press any key to continue …” message that appears at the bottom of
the FoxPro window. Ignore this message and do not press any additional keys at this time. Wait
for the Welcome screen for Expedite installation to appear. This may take a minute or so.
15. On the Expedite installer Welcome screen, click the Next button.
16. On the Software License Agreement screen, click the Yes button to accept the license agreement
17. On the “Choose Destination Location” screen, click the Browse button, and navigate to the
SpedComp\Live folder previously selected then click OK, then click Next:
18. A dialog box will appear, asking to backup previously installed Expedite files. Click the Yes
button to backup the previous installation, and continue.
19. Accept the default Expedite Base for Windows folder as the folder to hold the program icons for
Expedite, by clicking Next
20. A dialog box will appear asking: “Do you want the option to connect using TCP/IP? Your
user ID must be enabled for TCP/IP access.” Click the Yes button.
21. Click the Yes button to accept the Dialer Software License Agreement.
22. Make sure the USA radio button is selected (default), then click Next. Expedite Base will install.
23. On the Setup Complete screen, uncheck the View Readme file, then click Finish.
24. You will be returned to the FoxPro window, with Press any key to continue … at the bottom of
25. Press the space bar and:
will appear in the center of the screen. Also at the bottom of the screen, the messages change to:
26. Press the space bar again, and the messages at the bottom of the screen will change to:
27. Press the space bar one more time (total of 3 presses) and the messages at the bottom of the screen
will change to:
Also 3 new windows will open:
A black DOS window.
The Expedite Base for Windows version 4.6.2 window that you’re already familiar with,
showing the communication progress.
A Dialer Setup window. This window will be used to step you through setup of the AT&T
28. In the Dialer Setup window click Next to begin.
29. Select the radio button next to Yes, I have a business account. Click Next.
30. On the next screen, using the information you recorded earlier, fill in the Account box with STGP
and the User ID box with your Company’s Serial #/Network Account ID (STGP###). Then click
31. Ensure that My company’s private intranet radio button, and Standard secure IP from the drop
down box are both selected, then press Next.
32. Accept the default (Web, email, and other TCP/IP servers) on the next page and press the Next
33. Enter 184.108.40.206 in both the Primary and Secondary boxes on the next page, then press Next.
34. On the next screen highlight the modem you currently have installed on your system (what you
wrote down earlier should be on the list) from the displayed list, then click Next.
35. The next screen allows you to select primary and backup telephone access numbers, based upon
the area from which you were originally dialing. Press the Change button circled in red below to
select available numbers:
36. In the Field labeled “Number to dial”, type the number you selected earlier from the AT&T
Number document. To the left of this field, you should also add a user friendly name to refer to
Click OK to continue.
37. You can optionally add a backup number to dial by clicking the second Change button and
repeating the step above. But this is not a requirement.
38. When you are satisfied with the selected number(s), click Next to continue.
Ensure that the Yes, start login when Finish is pressed radio button is selected, and the
Automatically start Dialer when needed box is UNCHECKED! Then click the Finish button.
- 10 -
39. The Dialer will then test the connection to the AT&T network.
Enter the Network password you recorded earlier in this procedure. Check the Save password box
Click the Connect button to begin testing the connection.
40. There may be more that one dialing and connection. Be patient, and the dialer will close, the
black DOS window will close, the FoxPro window will briefly display:
then it too will close.
41. This completes the installation portion of the TCP patch.
- 11 -
42. To verify successful installation, re-start SpeedComp.
From the Transmission menu, select Change Passwords/Phone Number:
You should now notice some changes.
Click Save and Exit. The above window should close and the following should open:
The AT&T Dialer (second window back) should start dialing.
- 12 -
After connection, the dialer window will close, and the Expedite Base window will show:
The Expedite Base window will close. Finally you should see:
Click OK and you’re done.
43. You may now close SpeedComp and return to business as usual.
- 13 -