PSA Board Meeting Minutes
November 14, 2009
Present: Merrisue Steinman, Gena Smith, Lori Gross, Marlene Casmaer, Bill Davies, Rob
Koenig, Bob Miller, Larry Pazazki, George Young
Community Present: Nancy Fullerton, Ron Moon, William Casmaer
Call to Order: Merrisue Steinman, 10:01am
Gena Smith. To propose that we approve the September 12, 2009 PSA Board
Meeting Minutes. Seconded (Boyd Smith). The motion was passed.
Thank you to Marlene Casmaer, Susan Koenig and Boyd Smith for getting the new PSA
Secretary computer up and running.
Finance Committee Report: Merrisue Steinman.
The Board voted for a mail-in ballot for the Proposed 2010 Budget. We asked for email
responses from those who were not present at the meeting and it did pass.
Gena Smith and Nancy Fullerton volunteered to count the 2010 Budget Ballots. The ballots
were counted: 64 votes for accepting the proposed 2010 Budget and 17 against and 1 that
was not legible (not counted). Comments included with the votes will be kept for future
Boyd Smith: From henceforth, all ballots put into sealed envelopes will become property of
PSA Secretary so we have a record of each vote.
Boyd Smith. To propose that we adopt a formal process so that the record of each
vote is retained for all PSA ballots. Seconded (Merrisue Steinman). The Motion was
Discussion: The formation of a Records Committee. Merrisue, Gena and Marlene will meet
to form a sub-committee to go over which PSA records should be retained, which should be
kept in the safe deposit box and which can be discarded.
Larry Pazaski. To propose that we form a PSA Records Committee to review all past
documents. The committee will retain those official documents that need to be
permanent and discard unnecessary information and duplications not pertinent to
Board legal protection and operation of our Association. Seconded (Boyd Smith).
The motion was passed.
Progress of Audit: Lori Gross
Auditors want to match our Audit year with our tax year, which will cover the majority of
the construction period. So we’ll change our audit to be from July 07 – through June 09.
December 2, 2009 a field day audit is scheduled. The auditor will come out for the day to
look over documents, etc. with Merrisue, Nancy and Lori. The auditor will return to the
office and they will finish putting things together and then it will go through their review
process and then the audit will be complete. For the calendar 2010 we should be back on
track. (There will be no audit from July through December.) At the next Annual Meeting
there will be a general membership vote to either have another audit the following year or
not: To accept the regular financial reports in place of the audit (because of the cost of
each audit). It is part of the State law that if we do have more than $50,000 in
assessments in one year, then we have to have 61% of the quorum present stating that
they do not want to have an audit.
Merrisue: Reiterate vote to pay for Wiseman bill: Methods, amounts, and order. $60,000-
$70,000 is still owed to Wiseman.
The newsletter will be mailed out with the dues in December. The End of Year Financial
Report will be mailed out at the end of January.
Foreclosures: Bank is refusing to pay assessments owed to PSA. Discussion took place on
legal procedure to lock off water meters on those lots who are in foreclosure, etc. We
cannot turn the water off until the property in question has been vacated. If the bank owns
the property and it is vacant we can turn off the water. Also discussed was correct
procedure for notification letters and the creation of a form letter. This will be taken up by
the Water Committee. (This will be in cooperation with the Water Service Association.)
Merrisue: The Finance Committee is working on a new contract for PSA employee Nancy
Fullerton. Essentially, the contract will be unchanged unless there are comments/changes
before the next Finance Committee Meeting. Nancy is an employee of PSA and not an
Merrisue: Update on PSA Liability Insurance estimates from Duncan Insurance.
Discussion: Possibility changing insurance carriers. Merrisue will contact potential agents in
Facilities Committee Report: Rob Koenig.
Allen McCay is no longer employed by PSA. The grounds are being cleaned up in
preparation for the new Caretaker. We are working on quotes and bids for landscape
management. The will need to be licensed, bonded and insured. Currently, we are working
with Tab at AG3, who has already completed winter fertilization of the new grassy area.
There will be a Facilities Committee Meeting on Sunday, December 13 at 1pm at the Koenig
residence. The meeting notice will be posted on the website and the community is
encouraged to attend.
Discussion: Funding for the ski dock replacement project.
Water Committee Report: Bill Davies.
Status of the Water System Project: The construction phase is complete but the project is
not complete. Three weeks ago we sent Wiseman a certified letter regarding several issues
from their last invoice to us. There are both billing errors on Wiseman’s part and
installation errors. We have not received a response from them. The contract states that
there will be mediation for contract disputes.
Bill and Merrisue will be attending a Financial Planning seminar Monday November 16. They
will be taking classes that incorporate rate settings, etc. The seminar cost is $150 per
person. For Bill, the class will provide operational education and for Merrisue, it will be from
a strategic approach. No motion is required to pay the seminar costs from the PSA Budget
Discussion: PSA water rate structure and creation of a reserve fund.
Discussion: Which company to use for PSA Water Management. Northwest Water Systems
and H2O Water Management Systems have both sent us bids. Both bids will also send a
copy of their insurance. The Water Committee will bring forth a recommendation at a later
Discussion: Continued employment of Jack Fisher. If we go with a “full service contract”,
will that be sufficient? The Water Committee will bring forth a recommendation for 2010.
Discussion: Emergency water system shut-down plans. The new system will have “As-
Built” plans which will be placed in Well House number 3. This will show all the shut-offs
and valves. The water management employees will know this as well as key contacts from
PSA. A copy of the “As-Built” will also be placed in the PSA safety deposit box and
electronic copies will be provided.
The Water Committee will be making a recommendation regarding the use of Electronic
meter readers and a collector that will tie into a computer that will read the data. This
might not be something we start out with but it should be a goal down the line. We need
another one more 2” meter in the park which Rob will have installed along with the sprinkler
system. HD Fowler and Union City are both submitting bids for this project as well as the
new sprinkler system.
Discussion: Merrisue: Do we have funds set aside for people who have paid for their meters
but have not been installed? Bill: We will install a meter free of charge when they decide
they want to hook up and draw water. This will come out of the Operations Budget.
Communications Committee Report: Boyd Smith.
We are taking in-house control of the PSA website, including design and content. As soon
as the past website manager releases the old Domain Name we will take control over the
new Domain Name and select a new Provider. Contents will include past Board Minutes,
Rule and Regulations, and many of the past Newsletters. We will be able to make
immediate changes on the website.
Committee Reports are due by next Friday for the upcoming Newsletter, which should be
ready to go out by the first week in December. There will be two separate mailings in
December: one for Dues invoice and one for the Newsletter.
Rules Committee Report: Boyd Smith.
Discussion: Out Houses. We will incorporate the RCW County Rules into our Rules. County
rules prevail. If you have an outhouse and are found in violation of the rules, this
information will be turned into the County and the County will deal with it from there. Grey
water must be properly managed as well as the outhouse itself. Drive-able RVs must
contain their own grey water and fluids. Grandfathered outhouses remain a separate issue.
George and Boyd will continue to work on this issue to make certain it is on the website and
in the newsletter.
Boyd: Renter Privileges. The Rules Committee will be working with the Facilities
Committee regarding Renter Privileges in the Park.
New Business: Merrisue
Concerns from the Community: One member asked “Why can’t we pay our $245.00 annual
dues in installments?” It was recommended that, as in the past, we take into consideration
“hardship” cases instead of a general ruling for the community (and for primary residences
only). It was agreed upon to work with case-by-case situations. There would possibly be a
surcharge for such cases because of increase in the cost of book keeping. This issue will be
discussed further at the Finance Committee level and in keeping with the IRS definition of
Concern from the Community: One member asked “Why can’t we have annual financial
statements mailed with our proposed annual budgets?” We cannot send out the year-end
statements and ask for the budget at the same time. One does not have to link to the other
directly. The financial statement says what we actually did this past year. The budget we
are proposing is based on what we, as a board from the Financial Committee have
determined our priorities for the next year. The proposed budget is our best guess of what
we will need in the future. Excess funds will be going into savings accounts at the end of
the year so that the various committees can accumulate the funds for their proposed
projects. We will also be building up our emergency reserve account.
Concern from the Community: Several members asked “What are we doing about security
for the Park?” The main gate is now locked, with the exception of trash pickup or
contractors coming in to do work. The issue of locking the park will continue on the
Facilities Committee level.
The park flag will be taken down for the winter and will be replaced with a new one when
the Park opens in the spring.
Discussion: There are 4-5 residences on Olympic Drive that are experiencing low water
pressure. This issue will be taken up on the Water Committee level.
Discussion: Water conservation is critical. We have only a few individuals within our
community who are violating the State and PSA rules. It is illegal to misuse water. A water
conservation notice will be posted on the PSA website. Once our water rate structure is in
place, those few individuals misusing water will be penalized. Larry will prepare a list of
items for lot owners to check regarding their water lines and water meters to make sure
they are within compliance. It is important to check for line failures on your own property.
Water leaks on within individual properties will not be tolerated.
Boyd Smith. To adjourn the meeting. Seconded (Merrisue Steinman). Motion was
The meeting was adjourned at 12:00pm.
Marlene Casmaer, PSA Secretary