The SkyRiver database represents over 28 million unique
titles and is constantly updated. The database includes the
full LC MARC files and CONSER files. That is supplemented
by public domain metadata from SkyRiver’s customer
libraries and hundreds of other contributing libraries.
• Starting December 1, 2010, Union Catalog
will be obtaining bib records from Sky
River, not OCLC.
• ILL is still handled by OCLC for out of
• ALA Publishing has allowed free access to RDA from its publication
date through August 31, 2010. Timeline for testing:
• First 90-day period: testing participants will familiarize themselves
with the content of RDA and the RDA Toolkit.
• Second 90-day period: testing participants will produce records
• Third 90-day period: Steering Committee for the testing will
evaluate the results and produce its report, which will be shared
with the broader library community (expected to be around April
• Widespread adoption of RDA within the U.S. is not expected until
after this evaluation report is released.
MARC Record Guide
Includes revisions to September 2010
• To develop a provider-neutral cataloging
model for a single bibliographic record that
could be used for all the instances of an online
monograph. This is to include records for
resources, that, in the past, have been
cataloged variously as reproductions or
Quick Edit for Bib (SCAN) Requests
• Allows staff to create a brief bib if the full one
is not in the Union Catalog.
• Allows staff to attach an item so it can
• Allows staff to attach an order so they can
place holds immediately.
• Training to begin after the first of the year.