perhaps rarely by p4tPzt8


									                                                    Appendix 1

                             School of Anthropology and Museum Ethnography
                        (including the Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology)

                    Statement of Graduate Student Provision (Taught-Course Students)

1. Who is the Course Director with overall responsibility for students on these courses?

Each set of taught degrees has a specific course director, as follows:

M.Phil., M.Sc. and M.St. in Social Anthropology (SA): Dr Robert Parkin

M.Phil. in Material Anthropology and Museum Ethnography (MAME): Dr Laura Peers or Dr Clare Harris

M.Sc. and M.Phil. in Visual, Material and Museum Anthropology (VMMA): Prof. Marcus Banks, Dr Inge
Daniels, Dr Laura Peers or Dr Clare Harris (rotates)

M.Phil. and M.Sc. in Medical Anthropology (MA): Dr Elisabeth Hsu (if on leave, Prof. Stanley Ulijaszek)

M.Sc. in Cognitive and Evolutionary Anthropology (CEA): Prof. Harvey Whitehouse

Your main supervisor may not be the course convenor but another member of the academic staff.

The Director of Graduate Studies, Dr Robert Parkin, has overall responsibility for co-ordinating the School’s
postgraduate courses. He is Chair ex officio of the Teaching and Graduate Studies Committee (staff only), which
meets each term.

2. What arrangements will be made for induction?

Colleges usually have their own individual induction programmes, including the provision of university cards
allowing access to libraries and other university buildings, including those of the School; these function as swipe
cards in many cases (in case of problems obtaining access to any of the School buildings that permit student
access with these cards, apply to the ISCA general office). Students should find School welcome packs waiting
for them on their arrival at their colleges, containing details of relevant induction sessions. Students are required
to register in the School early in the week before their first term (so-called ‘0th week’), usually on the morning
of the Tuesday of that week. They will be asked to sign a registration form and to agree to be photographed to
aid their visual identification subsequently by School staff. Students normally receive a general induction to the
School later that day, where the academic and administrative staff of the School introduce themselves and their
work in the department. Students are also asked to introduce themselves briefly at this meeting. Further
inductions follow later in the week to the Tylor Library and other relevant libraries in the university, the Pitt
Rivers Museum and Centre, departmental IT provision and the relevant course directors (see below, 6). Students
should already have been told who their supervisors will be by this time via letters previously sent to them and
should make a particular effort to meet them during ‘0th week’ (the week before term begins) to discuss their
studies. Students will receive copies of relevant departmental and course handbooks by e-mail as soon as their
University e-mail addresses become active. These are sent to all students, as appropriate, whether or not they are
new to the School.

3. What is the overall length of the course, and how many weeks are students expected to work in Oxford?
Students should expect to be in Oxford during the eight weeks of each term, unless they are doctoral or M.Litt.
students pursuing agreed fieldwork or research elsewhere. There is more flexibility in vacations, but even if they
go away, students should still expect to continue working on their own towards their degrees (this may be linked
to set coursework or other assignments of some kind). The M.St. degree lasts for approximately nine months
altogether, the M.Sc. degrees for twelve months and the M.Phil. degrees for 21 months. Research degrees
typically last for an unspecified, though not unlimited, number of years (e.g. at least three and more usually four
to five years is the expectation for a doctorate in anthropology, though sometimes more time is needed).

4. What arrangements will be put in place for supervising and/or tutoring the graduate’s work? What is the
pattern of teaching events (lectures, tutorials, classes etc.) for the course?

Each graduate student is allocated a supervisor within the School, or in the case of research students sometimes
two (NB: at graduate level ‘tutors’ are generally called ‘supervisors’ in Oxford, whether they are teaching on
taught courses or research degrees). Taught course students especially may have tuition from other members of
staff than their main supervisor, e.g. for option courses. Departmental supervisors are mainly responsible for
guiding their students through their specific courses in regular tutorial or supervision sessions, the type and
frequency of which depend on the course being followed (for example, a possible eight tutorials a term for a
taught-course student, or two to three supervision sessions a term for a research student, depending on activity).
Full details of individual course structures and teaching provision is given in the course descriptions in the
departmental Handbook.

Supervisors give students advice on their coursework, theses or preparation for examinations, as well as on what
lectures and classes to follow; they are also involved in the administrative side of students’ activities (form-
filling etc.). Generally speaking, while supervisors do have to approve many steps administratively in a
student’s career, their academic role is rather one of advisors. Nonetheless students are expected to take this
advice seriously and to assume a large degree of responsibility themselves for the progress of their own studies.
Students have the right to see the termly reports written on their progress by their supervisors and to be
consulted on these. They may (but need not) also report on their own progress through the Graduate Supervision
System (GSS).

Supervisors and other tutors are not necessarily, even perhaps rarely, members of the student’s own college at
graduate level, and most of the teaching and supervision will be done outside the college, in ISCA or a similar
building. However, students are also usually assigned an advisor or personal tutor in their colleges, who may be
in their own subject or close to it. This is someone the student may approach for advice, a second view, or if
problems occur in the relationship with the departmental supervisor (who should be different). Alternatively a
student may approach the School’s Director of Graduate Studies or Head of Department for advice.

5. What one to one or small group teaching will students on these courses receive?

Depending on the course, tutorial teaching is generally one to one or in small groups (single figures). The latter
format is also typically used for teaching seminars, including on the option courses.

6. Who will take overall responsibility for an individual student’s progress and for competing the joint progress
report form in each term of the course?

Normally the supervisor has these roles.

7. What are the provisions for providing written feedback on both formative and summative assessment?

Formative assessment: written comments on or appended to tutorial essays and other work submitted for
teachinf purposes. Summative assessment: written feedback on theses and some other coursework.
8. What workspace will be provided?

A few workspaces are available in the computer room in 43 Banbury Road on a first come first served basis.
Students can normally expect to receive desk facilities along with their college accommodation. Colleges also
have their own library and workspace facilities, and desks are available in the Bodleian (the main university
library) and other libraries.

9. What IT support, library facilities and experimental facilities will be available?

An induction session in the week immediately before the start of the academic year introduces new students to
the department’s IT provision. The School has a computer room, which may be used for e-mail as well as word-
processing, data-analysis and internet search purposes. Personal computers may only be linked to the net with
the permission of the department’s IT staff, who reserve the right to test such equipment beforehand and refuse
permission for its use. Upon arrival, students receive an e-mail account, login and provisional password
(changeable immediately) from departmental IT staff.

There is a concessionary scheme to provide free a certain amount of printing within ISCA. The concessions are:

        150 free copies for second-year MPhil students
        100 free copies for MSc and MSt students
        50 free copies for first-year MPhil students

Since the scheme is concessionary, not statutory, it may be withdrawn at any time at the School’s sole

ISCA accommodates the Tylor Library, the main anthropology subject library, consisting of a number of
different rooms on the ground and second floors and in the basement of 51 Banbury Road. Registered students
may borrow most books, but not journals and certain other materials. Students may also use other departmental
libraries and their own college library, provided the necessary conditions have been met (these vary from case to
case). The Pitt Rivers Museum and Centre also has its own library (the Balfour Library), of interest to
anthropologists. All registered students of the university and some other categories may use the main Bodleian
Library and its dependent libraries as a matter of course (many of which are not ordinarily lending libraries).
The University now has a wealth of electronic sources, some specific to particular libraries. You should be
prepared to show your university card at any time in seeking access to any library or other building in the

Laboratory and other dedicated workspaces and equipment for methods teaching will be provided where

10. What research seminars will be available?

Provision of research seminars continues throughout the year, but varies from term to term. In general they are
open to all members of the university, including both taught-course and research students, but some may have a
teaching component which is more restricted; if in doubt, consult the seminar convenor. A major event in ISCA
is the Departmental Seminar normally held on Friday afternoons in term, to which guest speakers from outside
ISCA are invited, as is the case for certain other seminars (e.g. in museum and related studies, in medical
anthropology, or on ethnicity and identity). The Pitt Rivers Museum and Centre and the Centre on Migration,
Policy and Society (COMPAS) hold similar seminars within their respective areas of interest. Other research
seminars involve ISCA research students at various stages of their work giving talks on their individual projects.
In either case, research seminars are distinct from classes to teach particular courses (e.g. optional papers). The
latter may also be of interest and, in principle, be attended by any student in ISCA; it is, however, conventional
to seek the permission of the course tutor as a courtesy if one wishes to attend a teaching class for a course one
is not being examined in. Both seminars and classes may be held in buildings other than those belonging to
ISCA. Lists of lectures, seminars and classes held in every University department, including ISCA, are
published every term. Seminars and classes in related disciplines may also be of interest to ISCA students. Both
seminars and classes generally permit interaction with the audience in the form of discussion and questions; they
are therefore distinct from lectures, which are typically linked to specific degrees and are not normally
interactive, though individual lecturers sometimes permit brief questions to be asked for purposes of

11. What access to research funds will be available?

The only grant ordinarily available to master’s students is one grant from the Arts and Humanities Board for the
M.Sc. in Visual, Material and Museum Anthropology. Residence and citizenship qualifications apply. The travel
and small-grant funds may be made available to master’s students also on a discretionary basis, but they do not
constitute full funding or anything approaching that.

         1.   The Bagby Fund periodically makes small grants to young scholars working in the field of social
              anthropology at Oxford. Restricted to the study of urban and/or literate populations only.

         2.   Peter Lienhardt Memorial Fund Small Travel Grants. The Fund was established for ‘the
              furtherance of research within the University in Social Anthropology’.

         3.   Godfrey Lienhardt Memorial Fund. In conjunction with Wolfson College. Periodically makes
              available small grants for travel to or small research projects in sub-Saharan Africa, excluding the
              Republic of South Africa.

12. What formal graduate skills training is provided?

Students in all programmes of study are given intensive training, through practice in the first instance, in
understanding and interpreting texts and writing essays on the basis of these texts, as well as constructing longer
works of varying length in the form of theses or extended essays, the higher ones in particular normally being
based partly on field research. Part of this training involves learning how to construct arguments and support
them with evidence at a high level of academic discourse, as well as to develop the ability to criticize the work
of others in the discipline effectively but professionally. At the same time, students are encouraged to develop
their own intellectual strengths and scholarly abilities so as to equip them for involvement in the discipline at a
professional level. Continual guidance in such activities by supervisors forms a core aspect of ISCA teaching,
but students are also expected to work largely on their own and to organize their studies and work effectively in
relation to both structure and time management.

In addition, classes are held on research skills and methods of special relevance for anthropologists, including
(depending on the specific course) project design, fieldwork, data collection and analysis (qualitative and
quantitative), interviewing, visual aspects, cataloguing and databases, museum collections management and
conservation, writing up and ethics. Students on some courses are also required to attend statistical training,
which is generally available for other students who want it. On some courses, some of this work is marked and
contributes to the degree result.

Information about training and other courses offered across the University is available through the University
Skills Portal at http://www/ This site provides information about transferable skills
development for research students and research staff in the University, and includes a searchable database of
skills training opportunities, links to articles on subjects such as project management, teaching and career
planning, and message boards for asking questions and discussing issues with other researchers. Information of
training       courses      available        for     social      scientists    can       be      found       at (access restricted to existing students). Information
about training and other courses offered across the University is available through the University Skills Hub This site provides information about transferable skills
development for research students and research staff at Oxford University.

13. What arrangements for accommodation, meals and social facilities will be made on a year-round basis?

Accommodation and meals are mostly provided by students’ colleges (see below), though many students live
out, especially longer-term students. The School’s main buildings have some limited facilities for making hot
drinks, and there is a coffee morning every Wednesday in term. There are also periodic functions put on by
ISCA itself, one of its research units or the Oxford University Anthropology Society (a University society
associated with ISCA and open to all students and staff). Research seminars involving outside speakers
(including the Departmental Seminar mentioned in 7 above) often proceed to some kind of refreshments after
concluding. These bring research students together with academic and other research staff in the department to
hear about on-going research, and they also provide an opportunity for networking and socializing.

Most colleges should be able to provide you with at least one year’s accommodation, but late applicants may
find they are given a college place without accommodation. Generally speaking your college will provide meals
throughout the year (for payment), but provision will vary from college to college, especially during vacations,
and you will need to familiarize yourself with your college’s detailed arrangements. In addition there are usually
self-catering facilities available in graduate accommodation, some of which is specifically for students with
spouses or partners and/or families. You will be a member of the Middle Common Room (MCR), or equivalent,
of your college, which is the main social centre for graduates. In addition to providing a common room, MCRs
usually organize programmes of social events throughout the year. The MCR also typically represents the
interests of its members to the college through an elected Committee or through elected representatives to
College Committees. The college will also normally have a bar, some computing facilities and a library, and
may often have dedicated funds for research (conference and field grants). Again, details will vary from college
to college. Graduates are welcome to participate in all the social and sporting activities of the college. Please see
individual college websites for further details about all aspects of college provision. Graduate research students
may become members of the University Club in Mansfield Road.

14. What arrangements are in place for pastoral and welfare support?

If students encounter problems during their studies, they should consult their supervisor in the first instance. If
the problem relates to the supervisor in some way, students should approach the Head of School or the Director
of Graduate Studies for the School. Every effort will be made to resolve such problems to the satisfaction of
everyone concerned.

There is an extensive framework of support for graduates within each college. Indeed, colleges have a leading
responsibility for students’ pastoral care and can arrange help in many areas, including study support (e.g.
medical, dyslexia or dyspraxia; English language support). Your college will allocate you a College Advisor
from among its senior members, usually in a cognate subject, who will arrange to see you from time to time and
whom you may contact for additional advice and support on academic and other matters. In college you may
also approach the Tutor for Graduates and/or the Senior Tutor for advice. The Tutor for Graduates is a fellow of
the college with particular responsibility for the interests and welfare of graduate students. In some colleges, the
Senior Tutor will also have the role of Tutor for Graduates. Each college will also have other named individuals
who can offer individual advice (e.g. the college chaplain).

The University also has a professionally staffed confidential Student Counselling Service which offers
assistance with personal, emotional, social and academic problems
( Students are urged to seek help in any difficulty, rather than
try and cope on their own.
There is also a University Careers Service ( to give advice on life after university.

15. What arrangements are in place for student feedback and responding to student concerns?

The School has a Graduate Joint Consultative Committee (JCC) to liaise with its students, the officers of which
are drawn from the student body and include course representatives, though both academic and non-academic
staff are also represented and attend its meetings. The JCC meets every term to discuss matters of mutual
interest and concern between School and its students, and in particular provides a forum in which students’
views and concerns can be brought to the attention of School staff. Students themselves arrange recruitment to
all representative bodies. Students’ views regarding courses are also sought through the circulation and return of
anonymous feedback forms. There is also an online reporting system (GSS) to which students may contribute on
a voluntary basis.

16. Other information

Comprehensive information about the School of Anthropology and Museum Ethnography, its courses, activities
and personnel can be found on its website (, which also contains an
electronic copy of the ISCA Graduate Student Handbook (updated yearly). The Examination Regulations (the
so-called ‘Grey Book’, from the colour of its cover), also updated yearly, is the main source of authoritative
information about courses and examinations.

To top