THE FRIENDS OF BARKING PARK MEETING by zM7F60w

VIEWS: 2 PAGES: 3

									    THE FRIENDS OF BARKING PARK MEETING

    MINUTES OF MEETING
    Wednesday 27 April at 7pm (Barking Park Lodge)

    Present:
         Name                     Title                                  Organisation
           Andy Johnson           Barking Park Manager                   LBBD

           Mike Levett            BP project Manager                     LBBD

           Emma Tuckey            Education and outreach Ranger          LBBD
           Val Shaw                                                      Friend

           Alan Peachy                                                   Friend
           Rose Richards                                                 Friend
           Tony Richards                                                 Friend
           Sue Small                                                     Friend
           Carol Lynch



    Apologies:
     Name                Title                                           Organisation
                           Assistant Education and Outreach
     Adam Lloyd                                                          LBBD
                           Ranger
     Barbara Sawyer                                                      Friend

     Chris Howe                                                          Friend
     Peter Midlane                                                       Friend

Issue                                                                      Action
1. APOLOGIES                                                               As above.

2. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING & MATTERS ARISING
Parks SNT update- Contractors have had problems but general crime
levels are low, gangs have reduced considerably.
South Park drive to be planted in September to October, we
understand this area looks poor but we will provide light maintenance
until it is landscaped.
All other areas covered in this meeting.

3. Park Managers update
Green Flag application during HLF restoration was a calculated
judgement and a condition of the HLF project itself. Paperwork side
of the project should be up to standard, judges should see the work in
progress as a positive rather than negative.
Thanks to Peter Midlane and Chris Howe for help on the day, talking
about the friends group, events and allotments.


    1
Issue                                                                      Action
If we don’t get the award we get constructive criticism so our
application next year will be stronger.
Management of the park (raised by AP) rangers and park manager
have no powers of arrest but we have a dedicated parks police team
in place to address and resolve issues. We can offer advice and state
byelaws but police have to take this further.
Cricket being played inappropriately on footpaths (raised by CL)           Rangers to intervene if cricket
AJ suggested the strong use of cricket will support his funding bid for    playing on paths, report to
specific cricket pitches in the park from The ECB. There may be a          PSNT if acting dangerously.
franchise opportunity for a last man standing league and a grass           Friends to take note of times
wicket league if funding application successful.                           and descriptions for PSNT if
We can then encourage groups to use the wickets or join the leagues        using a hard ball or not
when in place. In the mean time, we can encourage cricketers to            respecting other members of
move into wider spaces, away from paths.                                   the public.
A grass wicket will be fenced off from general use, only through
organised use. Other non turf wickets will be available for public use.
Safer Parks award awarded a silver award, plaques have arrived.
We will put then up around the visitor centre, café, lodge etc.
AJ, ET Sergeant Browning and Councillor Alexander went to City Hall
for the awards ceremony. There has been good press coverage
which will raise the profile of the park and promote this as a sage
park.
We will be aiming for gold next year, collecting data and perception of
crime results.
The Friends congratulated AJ on the award, AJ reminded friends it
was a team effort and thanked the friends for their input into reporting
and returning questionnaires.
Oral History Project Successful £46,400 bid. Currently evaluating 3
bids on running the project then start the project by training children
to become Oral Historians and hold interviews.
Visitor numbers are up 6000 from last Aprils Figures, possibly due
to weather. Demonstrates the HLF project is not deterring people.
Annual Report 1400 School children visited the park last year, 62          ET to email to Friends and AJ
events attended by 373 Children and 150 Adults. Report also                to post on website.
contains successes and targets.
4. HLF PROJECT MANAGER’S UPDATE
Dipping platforms nearly complete.
Health and Safety inspection have passed both sites, one has won a
considerate constructor scheme.
Timbers on the roof of the old depot are in perfect condition so we
don’t need to replace them.
The steels for the café and visitor centre complex are now up.
AP asked when did we know the dredging was complete? When
13,000m3 was removed, agreed by HLF. This figure was decided by
the project board.
Friend asked if we could have moved the silt to Greatfields where it
was needed to raise the ground? We kept the silt onsite where we
had a use for it, creating wildflower meadows. Saves money in not
having to transport it off site.
5. RANGER’S UPDATE
Barking Park community open day on 18th June, request for                  Friends to let ET know if they
assistance on the day, and for spreading of marketing material             can help.


    2
Issue                                                                     Action
before hand.

School visits are high with classes most days over the next 6 weeks.
This provides strong support for the classroom opening next year and
the introduction of charges to the service.
Easter holidays were well attended with 32 children on the Easter
Egg hunt.
Brownie group to visit this month, working towards the outreach
targets set each year. Again, building up scope for use of the new
centre.


6. FRIENDS GROUP ISSUES
Organised Dog fights reported to a Friend. This has not been
reported to the police or to park staff, no evidence to believe this is
true. There is a council group looking into Dog Control Acts which will
add more control to areas around this issue.
Levels of timber on the railway could cause injury to railway users       AJ to speak to Ray Armstead.
7. HEALTH AND SAFETY
Friends raised the issue of South Park Drive entrance, the Path
temporary surface is unsafe and a trip hazard. All options require
further funding to replace or repair surface of temporary path.
This has been noted and we have expressed concerns, we have risk
assessed the path and we patrol it daily. No accidents have yet been
recorded.
friends asked about car park flow management, would arrows be
painted on the car park? There are no plans for road markings but we
will get direction signs relocated.
Friends also asked if the hedge will be lowered? Yes however we
must wait until the bird nesting season is over.
Friends witnessed the litter van EL 90 driving unsafely, litterpicking    AJ to pass on to Tony Brown.
out of the van window whilst driving.
8. E&D

9. FORWARD PLANNING
Dates for the diary:BP open day 18th June
Love Parks week, 1st Week of summer holidays
June 11th – Steam train in the park.
Circus visiting 6-9th June.
Next meeting:29 June 2011
10. AOB

MEETING CLOSED




    3

								
To top