Final Status Report
June 14, 2000
The Governance Workgroup was established in August 1999 and has been meeting on a regular basis. A
chair was selected and members were recruited and invited to participate in the workgroup. Its membership
is comprised of consumers, providers, advocates and key stakeholders groups with experience and interest
in long term care. See Attachment A for a list of workgroup members.
The Governance Workgroup was charged with the following goal and deliverables as outlined in the
County's Long Term Care Integration planning grant application submitted to the State Office of Long
Develop a recommendation for a governance structure for the implementation phase of the LTCIP.
Prepare report and present to the full Advisory Group with information on LTCIP governance options,
including experience with other counties/states, legislative authority, potential risk for risk bearing,
relationship with Board of Supervisors.
Make formal recommendation to the full Advisory Group on governance structure and rationale.
The workgroup has researched several governance options to date. Specifically, San Mateo, Contra Costa
County, San Bernardino and San Francisco's proposed long term care integration governance options and In
Home Supportive Services (IHSS) Public Authority models have been reviewed and analyzed.
In addition, due to the complexity of the issues surrounding possible governance options, a subcommittee
of the Governance Workgroup developed a matrix of information to be collected in the evaluation of
various governance options. Research on various governance options is currently underway and it will not
be completed by the conclusion of Planning Phase I.
Continue the Governance Workgroup into Planning Phase II and recruit additional members with
knowledge of "subject area" in order to determine the best option for a governance structure to administer
Governance Workgroup Membership
Chair: Evalyn Greb
1. Kay Andalis SDSU
2. Roger Bailey, Ph.D. Meals-On-Wheels Greater San Diego, Inc.
3. Barbara Brody UCSD Shiley Eye Center – UCSD
4. Berry Crow Brighton Health Facilities
5. Dolli Cutler South County Meals-On-Wheels
6. Richard Dellapenna, MD Kaiser Continuing Care
7. Laurie Edwards-Tate At Your Home Services for Aging &
8. Carol Fitzgibbons Home of Guiding Hands
9. Nancy FitzPatrick Staff Builders
10. Michele Geving State of CA developmental Disabilities Board
11. Evalyn Greb HHSA – Aging & Independence Services
12. Fahari Jeffers United Domestic Workers
13. Julie Johnston Lifemark Corporation
14. Craig Lake Mesa Valley Grove – Senior Programs
15. Ira R. Parker, DDS UCSD School of Medicine
16. Maureen Piwowarski Senior Community Centers of San Diego
17. Deborah A. Plumb Consultant
18. Terri Pointer Lifemark Corporation
19. Ellen Schmeding HHSA – Aging & Independence Services
20. Steve Smelser Med/Max Health Management, Inc.
21. Malcolm Tucker AARP/VOTE
22. Lorie VanTilburg Southern Caregiver Resource Center
23. Nancy Watson HHSA – IHSS
24. Jan Wischnia Consumer