• AKA nodal region
• A spatial system defined by the
interactions & connections that give it
dynamic, organizational basis.
• An area organized around a node or focal
• EX: Fresno State, CBD, Salesmen’s
• AKA uniform region, aka homogeneous
• Areas of essential uniformity in one or a
limited combination of physical or cultural
• An area in which everyone shares in one
or more distinctive characteristics
• Ex: Sierra Nevadas, Amazon rain forest,
the Nation’s Capital
• AKA vernacular region
• Less rigorously structured than the formal
& functional regions
• They reflect feelings and images rather
than objective data.
• An area that people believe to exist as part
of their cultural identity.
• Ex: Sunbelt, Chinatown, the South