Immigration New Zealand
Level 10 55 Hunter Street, Sydney
GPO Box 365, Sydney NSW 2001
Ph: 61-2-9223 0144 Fax: 61-2-9223 0166
WORK VISA CHECKLIST
Please read this information carefully before you complete your application
The processing time for most nationalities is up to 30 days with seasonal variations. Please
check with our Immigration Contact Centre on 02 9223 0144 for further information on
We may request additional information during the assessment of your application. If we are
unable to decide your application within 30 days, we will contact you within this timeframe
about the status of your application.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
All documents must be original or certified copies.
Please do not purchase airline tickets or pay for accommodation before a visa is granted. We are
not liable for any financial losses if you choose to do so.
Holders of a current Australian Permanent Residence visa or a current Australian Resident’s
Return visa do not require a visa for travel to New Zealand.
All travellers should have their own valid passport/travel document. Children endorsed on
parents’ passports/travel documents need to obtain a letter from their country of mission
stating the reasons for not owning one.
Return postage is your responsibility. Where there is no return postage, return of
passports will be delayed.
Suggested return postage:
o Express Post Platinum: Overnight delivery. Signature required on delivery; or
o Registered Post Envelope: Delivery could take 3-5 business days. Signature required
on delivery; or
o A pre-arranged pre-paid courier service.
Please ensure all documents are enclosed at lodgement
1. A fully completed current Work Visa Application Form INZ 1015 that can be downloaded from our
2. A valid passport (or travel document) with a current Australian visa. Please submit a certified
copy of the bio-data page and the Australian visa page. If you are holding an Australian electronic
visa, please approach DIAC to have a visa label placed on your passport prior to lodgement of
your New Zealand visa application.
3. If you are currently holding an Australian Bridging Visa, recent correspondence from DIAC
regarding current immigration status and basis of the bridging visa issued.
4. Two recent coloured passport-sized photos of your head and shoulders. Please write down your
name at the back.
5. An application fee:
Work to Residence – AUD290.00.
Other categories – AUD220.00 (Nationals of Fiji, Samoa, Kiribati, Tonga & Papua New Guinea – a
fee of AUD185.00 is required).
Applicants holding a passport from Finland, Iceland, Japan, Mexico or the United States of
America come under fee waiver agreement and do not pay a fee.
6. Methods of Payment: Bank Cheque, Money Order, Credit Card (excluding American Express).
EFTPOS is available to those lodged in person. Cheques and Money Orders are to be made
payable to “Immigration New Zealand”.
7. A job offer on your prospective employer’s company letterhead with its name, address, telephone
number and fax number, etc
8. Your employment agreement/contract outlining the terms and conditions of your employment.
9. If you are applying under the “Essential Skills” category, your prospective employer must provide
Please Turn Over
substantial evidence that the position offered cannot be filled by New Zealand citizens or
permanent residents; e.g. newspaper clips and full details of the responses received from New
Zealand applicants (if any) and the reasons why they are not considered suitable for the position;
and letters of support from local recruitment companies, etc.
10. Your prospective employer could apply for an “Approval in Principle” letter in New Zealand if they
intend to bring in more than two overseas employees to New Zealand.
11. Evidence of qualifications and work experience for the position applied for. This could be in the
form of any trade or professional qualifications required for the position and work references. If
the position requires professional registration, you must enclose evidence that you are currently
holding such registration.
12. Applicants who intend to be in New Zealand for more than 6 months, and not more than 12
months, may be required to undergo a TB screening X-ray examination and provide a complete
INZ Temporary X-ray Certificate Form INZ 1096.
If the term of your Work Visa will bring your total stay in New Zealand over 12 months, you will
need to undergo a medical examination with the Medical and Chest X-ray Certificate INZ 1007. All
health requirements must be completed by “Medibank Health Solutions” (MHS). You can contact
MHS on 1300 361 046. Medical and X-ray Certificates must be no more than 3 months old from
date of issue.
13. If the term of your Work Visa will bring your total stay in New Zealand for 24 months or longer, you
will need to provide Police Certificates from your country of citizenship and any country in which
you have lived for 5 or more years since attaining the age of 17 years. Police Certificates must be
no more than 6 months old from date of issue.
INZ SYDNEY 02/07/2012