Department of Secondary Education
http://ed.fullerton.edu/SecEd/STHandbook/ Revised June 2005
Secondary Education Cooperative Teacher Education Program (SECTEP)
CHILD ABUSE – EMPLOYEE NOTIFICATION
California law requires that certain employees must report suspected child abuse or neglect to a child
protective agency. These employees, called "mandated reporters," must also sign a statement (this
form), agreeing to comply with the reporting requirements, prior to commencing employment and as a
prerequisite to that employment. Employees must sign this statement if their duties require direct
contact with, and supervision of, children. In addition, employees in any of the occupations listed in
Penal Code Section 11165.7 (see below) must sign this statement.
A report must be made when a mandated reporter, in his or her professional capacity or within the
scope of his or her employment, has knowledge of or observes a child whom he or she knows or
reasonably suspects has been the victim of child abuse or neglect. See Penal Code Section 11166
(reprinted below) and California Penal Code beginning at Section 11164, available on the Web at
The law also provides that a person who does report as required, or who provides a child protective
agency with access to a victim, shall not be civilly or criminally liable for doing so.
I have knowledge of these laws and will comply with their provisions.
PRINTED NAME SIGNATURE AND DATE
CHILD ABUSE REPORTING PROCEDURES
Child Abuse Registry
P.O. Box 14102 Orange, CA 92613-1502
1. You must immediately report to a child protective agency if you reasonably suspect or observe that
a student has been the victim of physical or sexual abuse or neglect.
2. You must follow up that oral report with a written report within 36 hours of knowledge,
observation, or reasonable suspicion that a student has been the victim of abuse.
3. Obtain a Child Abuse Report Form from your school secretary.
4. Complete the form and mail to the CHILD ABUSE REGISTRY.
5. Notify the school administrator.
6. Send a copy to the Director of the School of Education, California State University - Fullerton.