� Return Document by bO8D5fks


									Leaseholders Handbook

                             Home Owners

             Helping you make the most of your home and
                          your community

                    Leasehold Owners
                Your guide to the services we provide and
                       your role as a Leaseholder

Leaseholders Handbook


1. Introduction                                 3

2. About Tor Homes                              5

3. Terminology                                  9

4. Your Lease                                   11

5. Rent & Service Charges                       15

    Ground Rent and Service Charges
    How service charges are calculated
    Payment methods

6. You and Your Neighbours                      29

7. Responsibility for Repairs and Maintenance   33

    How to Report a Repair
    Gas & Electrical Safety
    Repair & Safety Advice

8. Buying the Freehold and Buy-Back Policy      49

9. Complaints, Compliments and Comments         51

10. Frequently Asked Questions                  55

11. General Information                         61

12. Useful contacts and information             63

Leaseholders Handbook


If you are a leaseholder of a property owned by Tor Homes, we
hope you will find this guide useful.

Leaseholders are people who have either exercised their Right to
Buy/Preserved Right to Buy or who have subsequently bought a
former council property. In nearly all circumstances your property
will be a flat or maisonette.

At Tor Homes we follow the Housing Corporation’s Regulatory
Code of Practice and the Charter for Housing Association
Applicants and Residents. We want to make sure that we have an
effective working relationship with you and we aim to provide you
with all relevant information, whether it is related to service
charges, accounts, or repairs and improvements, at the right time
and in an understandable way.

This guide can only give you a summary of the terms in most
leases. Not all Tor Homes leases are the same, as they vary
depending on when they were first issued. You must always refer
to your own lease to check the terms if you are in doubt about
any matter.

Please note that currently we do not charge all leaseholders for all
the services we provide, however we have to make sure we
operate our business effectively and recover our costs. So over
time we will look towards introducing charges to all leaseholders as
we cannot expect our tenants to continue to pay for the costs in
managing leasehold properties

Leaseholders Handbook

This handbook is not intended to provide legal advice and it should
be read in conjunction with your lease. We suggest you consult
your solicitor throughout the purchase or resale of your property.

If you require further information, for example about service
charges, and you cannot find the answer to your query in this
handbook, do not hesitate to ask a member of Tor Homes staff for
assistance. (Contact details are at the back of this handbook).

Keeping your handbook up to date

From time to time we may update or add information to this
handbook. Updates will be available through our website at
www.torhomes.com or hard copies may be requested from our

Other formats

This handbook is also available in large print, on audiotape and can
be translated into other languages or Braille if required. Please call
our Tenant Participation Advisor on 0800 316 88 39 for more


We would like to know what you think about the contents of this
handbook. Is there any other information we should include?
Please let us know by completing the Feedback Form included with
this handbook.

Leaseholders Handbook


Tor Homes is a community-based social housing company that
provides homes and services to help local people build strong
neighbourhoods and communities.

We are a non-profit making organisation, which has charitable
status and became active in March 1999 when we took over South
Hams District Council’s housing stock. At that time we were known
as South Hams Housing.

We are continually looking to increasing our stock by building more
properties in the South Hams District Council area and
neighbouring districts in and around Devon.

Equality & diversity

Our aim is to treat everyone fairly. This is outlined in our Equality
and Diversity Statement, which can be found at the back of this

At Tor Homes we aim to provide a high level of service that you will
appreciate. Our staff will be friendly and courteous; they will
normally give you their name when you contact us and we will
always respect your confidentiality.

Tor Homes is committed to involving customers and staff in all
aspects of policy and service development and we will seek to
ensure that this happens across the full range of our activities
including leasehold management.

Leaseholders Handbook

Our Offices

We have our head office in Totnes. Our address is;

Tor Homes
Tor House
St Peters Quay
Tel: 0800 316 88 39
Fax: (01803) 869636

To contact by e-mail please send your message to;
Or you can also contact us with general enquiries by emailing

Opening Hours

Monday to Thursday 9:00am -5:00pm
Friday 9:00am -4:30pm

Our offices are closed at weekends and on Bank holidays.

Contacting us

During our normal opening hours you can contact us to discuss
your home, lease, rent, service charges or any other issues you
may have. A list of contacts is available at the back of this
handbook. You can also send us an e-mail out of hours, which will
be answered when we are back in the office.

Leaseholders Handbook

Repairs and emergencies (Out of Hours)

If you need to report a repair or have an emergency out of hours,
please contact our low cost 24hour help line on 08457 626085.

Please remember that as a leaseholder you will be recharged for all
repairs (including drainage blockages). Emergency repairs which
are dealt with outside normal working hours normally cost more to
fix, which means the recharge will be at a higher rate.

Leaseholders Handbook

Leaseholders Handbook


Listed below are some words and phrases we use in this handbook
together with brief explanations

Arrears                 Any debts, including rent and/or service charge
                        which remains unpaid

Cyclical Redecoration    Normally to flats (external and internal
                    communal areas), which are decorated, usually
                    every six / twelve years.

Communal Areas          The parts of the building or estate shared with
                        others – more fully described in your lease.

Freeholder              A person or company who is granted full
                        ownership of land and building.

Home or property        A flat, maisonette, bungalow or house including
                        any private garden, outbuilding or garage

Lease                   A legal agreement, which sets out the rights
                        and responsibilities of both leaseholder and

Leaseholder             Someone who lives in a flat who has
                        purchased all of the equity, i.e., 100%
                        ownership of their flat but does not own the
                        freehold of the building.

Resale’s                Term used to describe the procedure when you
                        sell your home

Leaseholders Handbook

Sinking Funds/Provisions      A fund set up through service
                   charges to budget for major expenditure e.g.
                   roof repairs and cyclical redecoration

Legal words used in your lease

Common Parts            The parts of the building, which you share with
                        other residents in the building, e.g. entrance
                        hall and staircases

Covenants               A legally binding promise

Demised Premises The part of the building that has been sold to
                 you and is your responsibility

Exemptions and
reservations             Rights we as landlord, keep over your home

Landlord or Lessor The owner of the land, entitled to receive
                   ground rent & service charges and who will
                   eventually own the property when the lease
                   comes to an end

Tenant or Lessee        The person who owns the lease and has the
                        right to live in the property

Leaseholders Handbook


The lease is the formal contract between you and Tor Homes
setting out the rights and obligations of both parties. For
leaseholders the lease gives you rights over the land and/or
buildings for a set period of time, usually 125 years. When this
period runs out, these rights revert back to Tor Homes, or you may
apply for an extension of the lease.

Length of Lease

If you are the first person to buy the property, the lease will
normally be granted for a period of 125 years. Subsequent owners
take over the number of years remaining on the lease at the time of

Main terms of the lease

The main sections of your lease give you details on the following:

    A description of the property, defining the boundaries and
     areas you are responsible for and those we are responsible for
    Rent and/or service charges you must pay when the lease
    How and when the rent and service charges are reviewed
    The items that may be included within your service charge
    An explanation of the legal responsibilities for you and Tor
    Your rights under the lease

Your main rights are:

    To live in your home for the length of the lease

Leaseholders Handbook

    The quiet enjoyment of your home
    For flat owners, to have the repair of the structure and
     communal areas done by Tor Homes

Your responsibilities under the lease

      To pay your ground rent and service charges on time
      Pay your insurance on time
      To maintain and repair the internal parts of your home
      To allow us or our contractors access to carry out necessary
       work to your home or other properties
      Not to alter the exterior or interior of you home without our
      Not to use your home as anything other than a private
      If you live in a rural area not use the property as a second or
       holiday home
      Not to cause a nuisance or harass other people
      For flat owners with communal entrances, not to keep a pet
       without our written permission
      Send us legal notice of any change in ownership with a
       registration fee, normally £25, where applicable
      Inform us in writing of your correspondence address if you are
       not living at the property

Our main responsibilities are:

      To carry out our repairing obligations
      To keep your home insured against loss or fire
      To maintain the structure and exterior of the building
      To maintain the communal areas and keep them clean and
       well lit

Leaseholders Handbook

Further rights for leaseholders following Commonhold &
Leasehold Reform Act 2002

    The right to extend your lease

    The Right to Manage. This means that you can take over the
     management of the building from us. However, certain
     conditions must first be met:

         o The building must be self contained
         o It must include at least two flats
         o At least two thirds of the flats must be owned by 100%
         o The 100% leaseholders must have a remaining term on
           their leases in excess of 21 years, at least 50% of
           leaseholders must participate, and a Right to Manage
           Company must be set up

Contact Tor Homes for further details or see www.lease.co.uk for
additional information.

Leaseholders Handbook

Leaseholders Handbook


The annual rent and service charge review (increase) is due on the
first Monday in April each year.

A notice is issued at least 30 days before the due date together
with notification of new service charges (if applicable).

Ground Rent for Leaseholders

Ground rent is for the period 1 April to 31 March each year. In
February/March a Notification of Ground Rent - Notice 166 is sent
to comply with legislation under the Commonhold & Leasehold
Reform Act 2002.

Service Charges for Leasehold

You normally pay service charges if you live in a flat or a house that
has communal areas and / or where there are annual servicing
contracts in place (please note that not all leaseholders are
currently charged for the services they receive).

Typically service charges might cover:

    Communal repairs and maintenance
    Cleaning of communal areas
    Maintaining of communal gardens or shrub areas
    Electricity – communal hallways, street lighting, external
     security lighting
    Smoke and/or Carbon Monoxide( CO ) Detector annual
    Contributions to the sinking fund for cyclical redecoration and /
     or major works dependent upon type of lease

Leaseholders Handbook

    Contributions to reserves for major replacement items, such
     as door entry systems or lifts
    Surveyors and other consultants fees and costs in providing
     landlord’s services as defined in your lease
    Management Costs – incurred in setting up contracts and
     providing services

How Service Charges are calculated

During the autumn of each year, Tor Homes looks at how much
money has been spent on providing these services and also
estimates how much will be needed in the next financial year.
Those estimates are based on actual costs, inflation and prices
from contractors.

The proportion of the overall charge that you pay is set out in your
lease. For example if you live in a building consisting of four flats
where cleaning to the communal areas is provided, the cost of
providing the cleaning service would be divided by all the flats, so
you would pay a 1/4 of the total calculated cost.

Notifying & charging arrangement for Leaseholders

We have a number of different types of leases depending on when
the flat was originally bought. There are different charging
arrangements depending on which lease you have.

Ground Rent

We will send you a notice and letter for payment in April for the
previous year’s ground rent. Payment of £10 is due in 28 days.

Buildings Insurance

Leaseholders Handbook

We will send you the letter and description of the insurance cover
each April together with a copy of the summary of buildings

Payment is due within 30 days, or you may not be covered.

Tor Homes provides insurance for all their properties including all
leaseholders and shared owners as part of a block policy. Being
part of the main policy means we are able to provide buildings
insurance at very competitive rates. The policy period runs annually
from 1 April to 31 March.

People are sometimes unclear over what is covered by the
buildings insurance. Basically, it insures you for damage (as
specified in the policy) to the structure of your property.

For example, if you had a fire in your flat which damages your
ceiling and walls, you would be able to claim for the repair to the
ceiling and walls, but not for the decoration of the flat or
replacement of items in the flat. This is because the insurance
company would consider the repair or the replacement of the walls
or ceiling as part of the structure of the flat but decorations
(including the plaster) are your responsibility. This is standard
practice among insurance companies.

It does not cover your contents, fixtures and fittings. It is your
responsibility to arrange your own contents insurance.

Remember if you do not pay your insurance to us, you will
have broken the terms of your lease and you may not be
covered by the insurance policy.

Leaseholders Handbook

Administration and Management Charge

This charge is a standard fee paid to cover the costs of
administrating the leasehold service to leaseholders.

It covers costs for:

    Managing the lease and responding to enquiries.
    Employing staff including housing management and financial
    Collection of ground rent, service charges, buildings insurance
     and any action taken for recovery.
    Resident involvement, consultation information, (letters,
     Tenants News and Leaseholder newsletter), satisfaction
     surveys and leaseholder meetings.
    Compliance with legal and regulatory guidance (issuing set
     notices as required)

The management fee is charged on some types of leases. Please
note we do not charge any fees to make a profit on leaseholders.
Any charges only cover our costs, and in some leases we are
operating at a loss.

Sinking Funds and Replacement Reserves

Sinking funds and/or replacement reserves are used on the newer
leases for major repairs, equipment replacements and cyclical
decorations and the maintenance of communal areas. An amount is
collected each year based on information about the works likely to
be required over the next year. This is reviewed every year.

This money is held in a separate interest earning bank account.
When work is needed this fund is used to assist towards the cost.

Leaseholders Handbook

We will tell you each year how much is in the fund, including any
interest added.

Some of our leaseholders with earlier type leases do not have
sinking funds.

So that you can save up for your service charge bill we will let all
leaseholders know in plenty of time when major works are planned.
Before the work commences, we will start the consultation process,
which will give you details of work to be carried out and estimated
costs. If you want to find out whether works are scheduled for your
home at any time please contact our Contracts department

For those of you who do not have sinking funds we strongly
advise you set up your own savings account and set aside
money to pay for major repairs and cyclical works.

Year End Accounts

Once a year we calculate the service charge payments you have
made for the previous financial year, together with the actual costs
of providing the services. We issue you with a statement showing
you a breakdown of the costs compared to payments. This will also
include details of any repairs that have been carried out for that
period. This will show any credit or debit due, which will be taken
into account when calculating the current year charges.

Are the Service Charges Reasonable?

If you believe the service charges are not reasonable, or require
more information relating to a repair charge, please speak to the
Leasehold and Service Charge Advisor giving your reasons. If you
are still unhappy you can go through our Complaints procedure,

Leaseholders Handbook

and / or contact your local Leasehold Valuation Tribunal and apply
for a decision on whether the charges are reasonable and fair. You
will have to pay for the cost of your application. The telephone
number for the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal can be found at the
back of this handbook.

Service Charge Consultations

It is your right to be consulted on how we manage the communal
areas and your home. We will always consult you on cyclical
decoration and major works. Under the Commonhold & Leasehold
Reform Act 2002 we have to consult all our leaseholders paying a
variable service charge on two ‘qualifying’ areas of cost:

‘Qualifying Long Term Agreements’

This is an agreement or contract for a term of more than 12
These can include repairs, maintenance, cyclical works, servicing,
improvement works, communal cleaning and gardening, contracts
for lift or door entry/entry phone system maintenance, fire
precaution equipment servicing, insurances and utilities (if

If we enter into any qualifying long term agreements we will consult
where the contribution of any one Leaseholder exceeds £100 (incl
VAT) in the accounting period of one year.

‘Qualifying works’

This is repair, maintenance, cyclical decoration or improvement
works on a building or any other relevant premises. We will consult
if the contribution of any one Leaseholder exceeds £250 (incl VAT).

Leaseholders Handbook

Where there are proportional payments with all residents, we will
consult with all residents if one or more residents are required to
pay £250. If there is a residents association, we will consult with

For both types of consultation there are three main stages:

Stage one – Notice of Intent

      We will invite your observations on the works required.
      We will also ask you if you wish to nominate a contractor to
      undertake the works required unless we are inviting
      contractors to tender by public notice.

      Where a contractor is nominated who is not known to us the
      necessary documents and list of requirements (needed) to
      allow the person to comply with our requirements will be sent
      with the tender documents. If the requirements are not met,
      the nominating resident will be informed that we are unable to
      consider this contractor.

Stage Two – Our proposal

      We will tender the works and following receipt of tenders, set
      out our proposals to you. These will include at least one
      tendered estimate (legal requirement is one estimate) and:

          A statement of the works to be carried out/service to be

          The name and address of each contractor and any
           connection they may have with us

Leaseholders Handbook

          An estimate of each resident’s contribution to the cost of
           the works/service

          A provision for varying or determining the charge under
           the proposed agreement

          The duration of the agreement if applicable

Stage Three – Engaging the Contractor

      If we engage a contractor, but do not select either a contractor
      nominated by the leaseholders or the one submitting the
      lowest estimate, we will tell you who we have chosen and why.

      We will also enclose a written summary of any observations
      you have made together with our responses.

Other leasehold charges or fees

When selling a leasehold property

We are often sent letters by estate agents or solicitors wanting
further details about your lease / property. These are for legal
enquiries regarding the property, services provided and costs
involved. Often you may have been sent this information or it is in
your lease. Please give your solicitor the information you already
have as this may reduce the charge we make. As much of the
information has to be obtained from other areas within the company
we make a charge for this service in accordance with the following:

Responding to each letter

    1-5 questions £50 + V.A.T

Leaseholders Handbook

      6-9 questions £65 + V.A.T
      10-14 questions £80 + V.A.T
      15-19 questions £95 + V.A.T
      20+ questions £110 + V.A.T

Other charges:

    Deed of postponement fee £25.00 + V.A.T.
    New mortgage approval £50.00 + V.A.T.
    Transfer of lease £50.00 + V.A.T., or as specified in lease

The above charges will be reviewed annually. Payment must be
made before the request is dealt with.

Please note that your solicitors should calculate apportionment of
service charges on resale. If we are required to do it we will charge
a fee of £25.00.

The charges are reviewed each April and suitable adjustments

Methods of Payment

Leaseholders and shared owners can pay their rent/service charge
by a variety of methods.

You can pay your rent/service charge by:

    Allpay card

    Direct Debit

    Debit card over the telephone to Allpay.

Leaseholders Handbook

    Payment by cheque sent to our Head Office

Paying by Direct Debit

If you have a bank or building society account you can pay by direct
debit. You will need to complete a Direct Debit form, available from
our offices, and return it to us to get your Direct Debit payments
started. Direct Debits will normally be collected from your bank
account on a monthly basis. All Direct Debits are subject to the
Direct Debit Guarantee.

Please contact our offices on 0800 316 88 39 if you need a Direct
Debit mandate.

Paying by Debit Card

If you want to pay your rent by debit / credit card you can do so:

    Over the telephone to Allpay using your Allpay card

If you cannot pay your rent/service charge

If you are having problems paying or if you fall behind with
payments, please contact your Leasehold and Service Charges
Advisor on 0800 316 88 39

Early contact will avoid the arrears becoming serious. We would go
through your income and expenditure with you to make an
agreement to repay the arrears.

Leaseholders Handbook

If you fail to make and keep to an arrangement to clear arrears we
will obtain a money judgement for the debt through the County
Court and your mortgage lender will be informed.

If you are also having difficulties paying your mortgage you should
contact your mortgage lender. They may agree to a variation of
your monthly mortgage payments.

Tor Homes can recover arrears from lenders such as your Bank or
Society so it is important that you keep us both informed about any
financial difficulties you may have.

You may be at risk of losing your home if you do not pay your
rent/service charges or maintain mortgage payments.

If you do not have a sinking fund provision within your lease and
you are experiencing difficulties paying for major repairs and
improvements please contact your Leasehold and Service Charges

Housing Corporation loans for Right to Buy (RTB)

The Housing Corporation offers loans to leaseholders, but in order
to be eligible for these you must have bought your lease less than
10 years before the date you are invoiced for service charges. You
must also have bought your lease directly, under the RTB scheme.
Purchasers who bought under the preserved Right to Buy are not
eligible. Subsequent buyers from an original RTB leaseholder are

Leaseholders Handbook

The Housing Corporation secures the loan via a mortgage, and
pays the loans to us. However, there is an ineligible amount fixed
each year by the Corporation, which would not attract a loan. This
is in the region of £2140 (06/07) but precise figures can be obtained
from the Housing Corporation. As the loan amount will be secured
by a charge on your property, it is advisable that you get
independent legal advice.

Advice, Money Management & Benefits

You can contact the Citizens Advice Bureau for guidance on many
matters, including debt management. Your Citizens Advice Bureau
gives free, independent and confidential advice. They can help you
work out repayments and negotiate with your creditors. You can
visit their website at http:/www.adviceguide.org.uk or you can
telephone them to arrange an appointment to see them. The
telephone number of your local scheme will be in the telephone

Equity Release

If you are aged 60 or over, Age Concern can give you independent
advice on releasing equity on your property to assist in paying the
estimated costs of Major works.

Age Concern can be contacted on 020 8765 7200.
Or alternatively visit Age Concern Web site

Pension Service

If you are aged 60 or over, you may be entitled to assistance in
paying your charges from the Pension Service if you receive

Leaseholders Handbook

pension credit. The application is means tested at The Pension
Service, however if you qualify this could result in some financial

The Pension Service can be contacted on 0845 60 60 265
(Nationally) or visit the
Pension Service website. http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/
You can get advice from your local Social Security office. The
numbers are listed in the telephone directory. You can also visit the
Department of Work and Pensions website at www.dss.gov.uk, or
contact Age Concern.

Income Support

If you are between 16 and 59, and can’t be available for full-time
work and don’t have enough money to live on, you may be able to
get Income Support benefit. Whether you qualify or not and how
much you get depends on various factors, including your savings,
whether you are working or work on average less than 16 hours a
week. To find out if you qualify for Income Support, contact your
local Jobcentre Plus office (sometimes called a social security

Council Tax Benefit

You can claim Council Tax Benefit if you pay Council Tax and your
income and capital (savings and investments) are below a certain
level. You apply directly through your local council.

Other Benefits

There are other benefits you may be able to apply for.

Leaseholders Handbook

Check the fact sheets on this web-site,
www:direct.gov.uk/moneytaxandbenefits if any of the following
apply to you:

      you're on a low income (employed or looking for work)
      you have dependent children
      you're sick or disabled
      you're caring for someone
      you're aged 60 or over
      you have been bereaved
      you're pregnant or have recently had a baby

You can also get advice from the National Debtline which gives
free, confidential advice to help you solve your money problems.
Call 0808 8084000 or visit www.nationaldebtline.co.uk.

Remember - if you are having financial problems, contact us

Leaseholders Handbook


Tor Homes wants to help create good neighbourhoods where
people want to live.
To help us achieve this, we ask that you are considerate to others
living around you.

To be a good neighbour, please treat others around you, as you
would like to be treated. Tips to remember are:

    Don’t leave rubbish out on the wrong day, in hallways, or
     where it could cause a problem for others.
    Don’t cause a nuisance to your neighbours or let anyone living
     with you or visiting you do this. For example, loud music,
     swearing, fights, music from car radios.
    If you are having a party, let your neighbours know. Keep the
     noise down if it is late and ask visitors to be quiet when they
     leave. Most neighbours will not mind an occasional party, but
     they will if you often have parties or groups of friends / family
     round causing noise.
    Control your pets. Don’t leave dogs alone barking during the
     day, or leave your pets where they can cause a nuisance. Tor
     Homes has restrictions on the number and type of animals
     someone can have depending on the type of property, e.g. no
     dogs in flats. Please contact your Leasehold & Service Charge
     Advisor or one of our Customer Advisors for advice.
    Good neighbours understand there will be noise on occasions
     from other flats and houses, but understand the need for
     peace and quiet also.

Leaseholders Handbook

If there is a problem

If you have a nuisance or anti-social behaviour complaint, we will
always encourage you to try and resolve the matter, by discussing
the issue in a careful and tactful way with the person causing the
nuisance. It may be that the person does not know if they or
members of their family are causing you a problem.


If you have been unsuccessful in resolving a problem with a
neighbour, you can contact
your local mediation service. The number will be in the phonebook

Anti-Social Behaviour

Tor Homes is committed to tackling Anti-Social behaviour. We
recognise that this can be a serious problem.

Our aim is to promote a safe and secure environment so that our
residents can live peacefully in their own communities. Even one
person behaving in an antisocial manner can ruin the enjoyment of
a home to which everyone is entitled.

We will do this by enforcing tenancy or lease conditions in
appropriate circumstances, and attempt to get the person to stop
causing problems. If problems continue we assess the evidence
and see if there are legal remedies. We will deal effectively with any
other person who directly or indirectly affects the day-to-day
operations of Tor Homes, its tenants, leaseholders, shared owners
and its staff. We will work with our partners within the local
Community Safety Partnership, to create safer neighbourhoods,

Leaseholders Handbook

including South Hams District Council, Police, Social Services,
Education Department and Health services.

What is Anti-Social Behaviour

Tor Homes considers Anti-Social Behaviour to be:

    Behaviour capable of causing nuisance or annoyance to any
    Behaviour that unreasonably interferes with other people’s
     rights to the use and enjoyment of their home and community.
    Acting in a manner that caused or was likely to cause
     harassment, alarm or distress to one or more persons not of
     the same household.
    Using or threatening to use your property for unlawful and or
     immoral purposes.

Tor Homes will not normally take action in circumstances such as
those listed below, but would recommend resolving these issues
through mediation.

    Petty disputes between two households
    Parking issues on highways
    Minor lifestyle disagreements, such as cooking smells, noise
     of a child playing in their own home
    Children falling out with each other.

If you are suffering from harassment, threats, criminal damage or
any other criminal activity you should ring the police first, and then
contact us to see how we can help.

Leaseholders Handbook

Leaseholders Handbook


If you are a leaseholder of a flat, you are responsible for all repairs
inside your property. Tor Homes as landlord is responsible for
carrying out repairs and maintenance to the communal areas, the
outside areas and the structure and services of the building. The
cost of these repairs is divided amongst all the properties
within the building and you will have to pay your share.

The exact responsibilities for repairs may vary according to the type
of home in which you live and the contents of your lease. We have
outlined below a guide to repair responsibilities covering the most
common repair and maintenance items

Summary of repair/maintenance responsibilities

Communal front door to a block of flats:
Door Frame                   Tor Homes
Door                         Tor Homes
Door handles                 Tor Homes
Door locks                   Tor Homes
Lost keys                    Tor Homes

Front door to individual flat:
Door Frame                       Tor Homes
Door                             Leaseholder
Door handles                     Leaseholder
Door locks                       Leaseholder
Lost keys                        Leaseholder

Internal doors within flat       Leaseholder

Leaseholders Handbook

Windows to flat:
Window frame                 Tor Homes
Window casement              Leaseholder
Window panes                 Leaseholder

Communal Boiler              Tor Homes
Room heaters/own boiler      Leaseholder
Sweeping chimneys            Leaseholder
Fireplaces                   Leaseholder

Faults within the flat       Leaseholder
No supply to the flat        Electrical supplier/Tor Homes
Communal lighting            Tor Homes
Immersion heater             Leaseholder
Fuses                        Leaseholder
Extractor fans               Leaseholder

Burst pipe within the flat   Leaseholder
Taps and tap washers         Leaseholder
Stopcocks, ball valves       Leaseholder
Bath, basin, sink and
blocked waste pipes          Leaseholder

Hot or cold water tanks
within flat                  Leaseholder
Unshared pipes               Leaseholder
Water supply to the flat     Water supplier/Tor Homes
Communal pipes               Tor Homes
Communal storage tank        Tor Homes

Leaseholders Handbook

Blockage to outside drainage Sewerage company/Tor Homes
Blockage within property     Leaseholder

Gas escapes within the flat   Leaseholder
Cookers                       Leaseholder
Gas fires                     Leaseholder
Gas servicing                 Leaseholder
Annual gas safety check       Leaseholder

If you have a gas leak see details on page 38

Roofs                         Tor Homes

Gutters                       Tor Homes

Walls and ceilings:
Internal walls                Leaseholder
Structure or party wall       Tor Homes
Internal plaster              Leaseholder
Ceilings                      Leaseholder
Walls to communal areas       Tor Homes

Floors within the flat:
Floorboards                   Leaseholder
Joists                        Tor Homes
Skirting boards               Leaseholder
Floor tiles                   Leaseholder

Communal facilities:
Communal car parking areas Tor Homes

Leaseholders Handbook

Communal gardens and
grassed areas                 Tor Homes

Communal TV aerial            Tor Homes

Entry phone system            Tor Homes

Communal path and gates       Tor Homes

Communal store / sheds        Tor Homes
(not personal sheds in gardens)

Insect / rodent infestation   Leaseholder

Major works and cyclical decorations

Tor Homes is responsible for the upkeep, maintenance, repair and
improvement of your building and estate as a whole, but as a
Leaseholder you are responsible for paying your share of these
costs through your service charge.

We carry out regular maintenance to all our estates, but every
building requires major works during its life. This can include
renewing key components of the building such as the roof, installing
new facilities such as entry phones, and cyclical decoration to the
exterior and communal areas carried out approximately every six
and twelve years.

Where the lease allows, a sinking / replacement fund is set up,
which is used for major repairs, equipment replacement and
cyclical decorations to external and communal areas.

Leaseholders Handbook

How to report a repair to a communal area

You can report a repair in any of the following ways:

    By telephone on our local rate number 08457 626085. This
     number can also be used for out-of-hours emergencies, 24
     hours a day, seven days a week
    Via the web site by using the online system on
    By e-mail to repairs team at repairscallcentre@torhomes.com
    By letter to the Repairs Manager at our Head Office.
    By fax to Tor Homes 01803 869636
    In person by calling into one of our offices.

Other repair contacts

The following repairs are not our responsibility and should be
reported directly to the agency responsible:

      For gas leaks contact Transco on 0800 111 999.
      For gas meters contact your gas supplier.
      For street lighting contact your local council.
      For water leaks in the road contact your water company.

Gas Safety

Annual Gas Safety Checks

Your safety is of the utmost importance to us. Gas safety checks
are for gas leaks as well as for carbon monoxide (CO). Please
remember that it is important to have a gas service and gas safety
check once a year

Leaseholders Handbook

Gas leaks are very serious and require your immediate attention. If
you can smell gas or have any suspicion that gas is leaking, follow
these simple steps:

1. Put out cigarettes; turn off gas cookers and fires and anything
with a naked flame

2. Turn off the main gas supply. The main gas on/off lever can be
found next to your gas meter.

3. Open windows and doors
This will allow any gas that has built up in the house to disperse.

4. Do not turn any lights/sockets on or off or light any matches.
Using a light switch, or similar, can often generate a spark, which
could be enough to ignite any escaped gas in the air. This includes
the use of phones.

5. Ring Transco on 0800 111 999 from outside the property.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning

CO is a colourless, odourless, poisonous gas. CO can kill without
warning – it does not have a smell and you cannot see it.
The initial symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to the flu (but
without the fever).
They include headache, fatigue, and shortness of breath, nausea
and dizziness.

What should you do to prevent CO poisoning?

Leaseholders Handbook

    Have your heating system (including chimneys and vents)
     inspected and serviced annually by a CORGI approved
     engineer. The engineer should also check chimneys and flues
     for blockages, corrosion, partial and complete disconnections,
     and loose connections.

    Never service fuel-burning appliances without the proper
     knowledge, skills, and tools. Always use a CORGI registered
     contractor to fit and service your gas cooker and appliances.

Make sure appliances are installed according to the manufacturer's
instructions and gas regulations. A CORGI approved contractor,
should install all appliances.

    Never block air vents on an appliance.
    Never block outside grilles, flues or airbricks.
    Never use an appliance if you think it may not be working
    Never sleep in rooms that have a gas back boiler.
    Never burn charcoal inside a home, garage, vehicle, or tent.
    Never use portable fuel-burning camping equipment inside a
     home, garage, vehicle, or tent.
    Never leave a car running in a garage attached to your home,
     even with the garage door open.
    Never use gas appliances such as ranges, ovens, or clothes
     dryers for heating your home.
    Never operate un-vented fuel-burning appliances in any room
     with closed doors or windows or in any room where people are
    Do not use gasoline-powered (petrol) tools or engines indoors.
    Install CO detector/alarms. Make sure the detectors are not
     covered by furniture or curtains.

Leaseholders Handbook

What should you do if you are experiencing symptoms of CO

If you think you are experiencing any of the symptoms of CO
poisoning, get into the fresh air immediately. Open windows and
doors for more ventilation, turn off any fuel-burning appliances, and
leave the house. Seek immediate medical advice and report your
symptoms. If you do nothing, you could lose consciousness and
die. It is also important that you contact a doctor immediately for a
proper diagnosis. Tell your doctor that you suspect CO poisoning is
causing your problems. Prompt medical attention is important if you
are experiencing any symptoms of CO poisoning when you are
operating fuel-burning appliances.

If you suspect Carbon Monoxide poisoning, stop using any gas or
coal appliances immediately. Turn gas off at the mains and allow
the property to be ventilated. Contact a service engineer so that
they can find out if any appliances are not working properly.

Do not turn your fuel-burning appliances back on until a CORGI-
registered service engineer has confirmed that the appliances are

Electrical safety

It is important to have an electrical safety check carried out once
every ten years.
Not only does this help keep your safe, it also means that your
home is less likely to catch fire. Under new Building Regulations
(part P) all electrical alterations in your home must be done by a
suitable and competent person who will give you a certificate to say
that the work has been tested.

Leaseholders Handbook

To reduce the risk of fire from faulty electrical appliances and
installations, please make sure you:

    Switch off all electrical appliances that are not in use (this will
     also save you money!)
    Make sure plugs are wired correctly and check regularly for
     damaged or loose cables
    Do not overload sockets when using adapter plugs and do not
     wire more than one appliance into each plug
    Do not run cables under carpets or rugs as this can cause
     overheating or fires
    Avoid using extension cables
    Never touch switches with damp or wet hands and never take
     electrical appliances into the bathroom
    Ensure all electrical appliances are regularly checked by a
     qualified electrician and only used in accordance with the
     manufacturer’s recommendations
    Use low voltage systems for garden lighting and use a circuit
     breaker when using power tools or appliances such as a lawn

Repair & Safety Advice

Fire Safety

To reduce the risk of fire:

    Keep matches and lighters away from children
    Make sure all open fires are guarded and never allow anything
     to come into contact with portable electric fires
    Do not use portable gas heaters
    If you smoke, ensure you carefully extinguish used cigarettes
     and never smoke in bed

Leaseholders Handbook

    Do not leave candles unattended
    Close all doors at night and keep fire doors shut

Other measures you can take:

    Fit smoke alarms. You can also contact Devon Fire and
     Rescue who can give you advice on fire safety.

    Test your smoke alarms regularly. If they are battery-powered
     then renew the batteries regularly

    Get together with your family to plan an escape route and
     make sure that your children know what to do in case of fire.
     Teach them how to make a 999 call and give their address.
     Make sure the escape route is practical and not obstructed.
     Practice an escape every now and then. Ensure that if doors
     and windows are locked, you know where the keys are and
     you can get them - even in the dark.

    If you have a mobile phone, make sure it is always charged up
     and in the room with you.

If there is a fire in your home:

    Stay calm and leave by the safest route
    Close all doors and windows behind you if you can
    Dial 999

Burst and Frozen Pipes

To help prevent burst pipes in cold weather you can:

Leaseholders Handbook

    Try to keep your home fairly warm at all times even, when you
     are not there. Leave the heating on a low setting
    Know where your stopcock is and make sure you can turn off
     the main water supply if you need to
    Make sure outside taps are lagged, and if they have separate
     stopcocks, turn them off in winter

If your pipes freeze or burst you should:

    Turn off the main stopcock
    Switch off your immersion heater if you have one
    Switch off your heating and hot water system
    Turn on all your taps to drain off as much water as possible
    Try to find out where the water is coming from and contain it if
     possible by putting rags or a bucket under it
    Report the problem to us if communal areas are affected or
     the damage affects Tor Homes property

It is important that you do not use your lights if water is dripping
through a light fitting.

Condensation Advice

Condensation happens when warm, moist air meets a cold surface
such as a window, mirror or wall. This air cools down and turns into
water droplets on the cool surface. Condensation is more likely to
happen when there is more moisture in the air than usual and when
surfaces are colder. How you ventilate and heat your home
therefore affects the level of condensation.

Condensation can create conditions in which mould can grow and
damage clothing, furniture and decorations, particularly wallpaper.

Leaseholders Handbook

In addition, when mould dries it sends spores in to the air that can
cause breathing problems in some people.

There are some easy steps that you can take to reduce, or even
prevent, condensation in your home.


    Do not leave kettles boiling.
    Put lids on boiling pots and pans.

Clothes Washing:

    Always dry washing outside, if you can.
    If you do dry indoors, always open the window and close the
    Always make sure that you vent a tumble drier to the outside
     of the house (unless it is a self-condensing type).

Paraffin and portable gas heaters should not be used

Ventilating to reduce condensation:

In general:

    Don't block permanent vents.
    Don't install additional draught proofing in rooms, which have
     condensation or mould problems or where there is a fuel-
     burning cooker.
    Do not install additional draught proofing to windows in the
     kitchen or bathroom.
    Allow space for air to circulate around your furniture.

Leaseholders Handbook

    Open cupboard and wardrobe doors to help keep them
     ventilated, but do not overfill them as this stops the air
     circulating. Where possible, position freestanding
     wardrobes/cupboards against internal walls.
    Keep a small window or vent open when there is moisture in a

Kitchens and bathrooms:

    Increase ventilation when cooking, washing up, bathing or
     drying clothes.
    Use extractor fans (where these are fitted), and/or open
     windows wider.
    Close the door so moist air does not spread throughout your

Keeping your home warmer:

    Use a low background heat during cold spells, rather than
     switching the heating on over short periods.
    Where possible, try to heat the whole house.
    If you have central heating, set it to provide background
     warmth in all rooms, including any that you do not use

Keeping your home secure

You should:

    Close and lock all windows and external doors (including
     sheds and outhouses) every time you go out
    Keep external doors and windows locked at night - but keep
     the keys to hand so you can get out in an emergency

Leaseholders Handbook

    Keep valuables and money out of sight
    Close the curtains and leave a room light on – do not just
     leave the hall light on
    Never leave a ‘hidden ‘ key – thieves know where to look
    Always cancel the milk and papers when you going away,
    Never prop open fire doors or outer doors or leave them on
     the latch if you have a door-entry system. They are there for
     your security and safety.
    Always ask for proof of identity before letting anyone into your
     home. This includes staff from Tor Homes and anyone
     working on our behalf
    Keep cars locked.
    Join your local Neighbourhood Watch.

If you are worried or have seen something suspicious phone your
local police.

Access (letting us into your home)

You must allow our contractors or Tor Homes’ staff into your home
to inspect the property and carry out any necessary repairs,
servicing or improvements. We will give you at least 24 hours
notice and will try to arrange a visit at a time suitable for you.

Some examples of when we may need to enter your home:

    To access a communal TV aerial
    Repairing a door entry phone
    Repairing your windows

If there is an emergency, there may not be sufficient time to give
you written notice that we need to enter your home. If this happens
we will do our best to contact you beforehand. However,

Leaseholders Handbook

irrespective of whether we manage to contact you, we will make
your home safe again before we leave.

NB Any works likely to exceed £250 per leaseholder will be subject
to delay due to legal requirements on consultation.

Disabled adaptations

There may be occasions when you feel that your home needs to be
adapted if you or someone living with you has a disability.

You may be able to apply to your local council for a Disabled
Facilities Grant (DFG). This type of grant is used for the adaptation
of a property for the benefit of a disabled person.

There are two types of DFG, mandatory and discretionary. The
majority of applications are for mandatory DFGs and typically

    installation of stair lifts

    bathroom and kitchen adaptations

    installation for ramps.

Mandatory DFGs are subject to a maximum of £25,000 per
application. Works must be supported on medical grounds by the
Occupational Therapy Department at Social services and be
considered reasonable and practicable by your District Council.

If you do wish to carry out any adaptations, please remember to
ask our permission for anything structural, or that affects the
communal or exterior areas of the building.

Leaseholders Handbook

Leaseholders Handbook


Freeholds can be bought and sold like other property, and Tor
Homes can and has sold freeholds of blocks of flats where all the
leaseholders have long leases.
The sale of the freehold will include the block, subject to leases
granted, common parts, and any ancillary property such as store
sheds, and gardens.

If you and the other residents in your block are all leaseholders and
you wish to buy the freehold please contact us, as, where possible,
we would be happy to sell the freehold to you. For further
information please contact your Home Ownership Advisor or our
Asset Manager.

Buy Back Policy

Tor Homes will, subject to grant funding being available from either
the Housing Corporation or the local Council (and where costs of
buying are equal to or lower than the cost of buying land and
building), consider buying properties for sale on the open market.

Tor Homes will consider buying properties previously sold under
the RTB, in our key operating areas where demand for housing
remains high. We will maintain and update a list of properties being
offered for sale directly to Tor Homes by the private owners.

Leaseholders Handbook

Leaseholders Handbook


We aim to give an excellent service to our customers. If we get
things wrong we want you to tell us so we can put them right and
learn from our mistakes.

How to make a complaint

If you are unhappy with the service you receive from us you can
make a complaint by writing to us giving details of your complaint or
you can tell us about your complaint in person, over the telephone
or by e-mail. A leaflet on how to make a complaint is available in
our reception area.

Telephone: 0800 316 88 39
E-mail: info@torhomes.com

What to expect when you make a complaint

Your complaint may well be resolved on the day we receive it, but if
we need time to look into it we will send an acknowledgement
within 5 working days and respond fully within 15 working days. We
aim to resolve most complaints at this stage.

If you are not happy with our response to your complaint you can
request that a more senior member of staff looks at the complaint.

If you are not satisfied with the senior member of staff’s response,
you can ask
for a panel hearing where the Chief Executive and two Board
Members will hear your complaint. This is the final stage of Tor
Homes’ complaints process.

Leaseholders Handbook

If you remain unhappy after the final stage of our complaints
procedure you can ask The Independent Housing Ombudsman to
consider your case. Their address is:
Norman House, 105 -108 Strand, London, WC2R 0AA

Telephone: 020 7836 3630 e-mail: ombudsman@ihos.org.uk
Web: www.ihos.org.uk


Tor Homes is committed to the delivery of excellent services.
Where we fail to meet this level of service we are committed to
putting things right, occasionally this will involve the payment of

Comments and Suggestions

We aim to:

    Give an excellent service to our customers
    Improve our services by listening to what our customers want.

We welcome your comments, positive or negative, and are
interested in your ideas for improving services. You can write to us
with your compliments, comments and suggestions or contact us in
person, by telephone or e-mail.

Telephone: 0800 316 88 39
Email: info@torhomes.com

Leaseholders Handbook

Resident Involvement

If you enjoy giving your comments and suggestions you may want
to join in at the next meeting of the Leasehold Forum which has
been set up for Tor Homes’ leaseholders to have their say in the
way that the Company manages their homes.

Leasehold Forum

We have meetings during the year to discuss any issues you may
have, and also to give information and consult you on issues that
affect you. We always like to see more people there, if you are
interested in attending please contact us for the date of the next

For more information please contact our offices on 0800 316 88 39
or download from our website at www.torhomes.com

Leaseholders Handbook

Leaseholders Handbook


Q. What repairs or alterations can I carry out to my property?

A. Leaseholders are responsible for repairing those items stated in
the lease. See also section 7 above. You are not permitted to make
any structural alterations or extend the property without the express
written permission of Tor Homes. If we allow you, you will be
required to have any design work carried out by an Architect and or
a structural engineer, obtain Planning Permission and get Building
Regulation approval.

Q. What repairs are Tor homes responsible for?

A. Tor Homes is responsible for carrying out all repair works to the
property that are not the leaseholder’s responsibility. In other words
anything that relates to the structure and external envelope of the
building, shared services and common areas. These can take the
form of responsive repairs, those repairs that are required on a day
to day basis such as cleaning gutters, clearing blocked drains,
replacing slipped tiles or slates, replacing light bulbs to communal
entrance halls and stairs. They can also be planned repairs; these
are more major works and may include external and communal
decoration works, renewal of roof coverings, structural repairs, fire
safety work, window replacement and major plumbing or drainage
renewals. For more information on the Companies responsibilities
is described in greater detail in the lease. See also section 7 as

Q. How can I avoid large and unexpected repair bills?

A. Tor Homes understands that an unexpected, large repair bill can
be extremely worrying to people on fixed incomes. To reduce the

Leaseholders Handbook

possibility of this happening we suggest leaseholders save a
regular sum of money to build up a repair fund. This fund should be
based on an estimate of the average cost that might be expected
for a typical property over a thirty-year period so that you have
money available for the bills for any large repairs and maintenance
work, including painting.

Q. Why does my service charge always seem to increase?

A. Tor Homes tries to keep the charges to leaseholders as low as
possible. Construction costs have been increasing at a faster rate
than inflation and buildings as they get older require more works.
Legislation is also requiring higher standards of replacement works.
This together with good practice means we now have to be more
thorough in our approach to managing leaseholders and our

Charges such as buildings insurance, cleaning costs, grounds
maintenance cost, electric supply costs, staff and overhead costs
and repairs contractors are all subject to market and inflationary

The recent changes in leaseholder legislation require more
intensive consultation with leaseholders, which also adds to the
cost of organising the repairs.

In the past we have not always charged you for the work in
managing your lease, sending bills etc. We have to make sure we
operate our business and recover our costs. Over time we will look
towards introducing charges, as we cannot expect our tenants to
continue to pay for the costs in managing leasehold properties.

Leaseholders Handbook

Q. Will construction costs keep on increasing?

A. Yes. Tor Homes is concerned that with the proposed housing
developments and other major construction projects in the region
that there will be a real shortage of labour within the construction
industry. To ensure that we can continue to provide the service to
leaseholders we tender the majority of our repairs, maintenance
and service contracts. This ensures we continue to have resources
available and are able to control the cost and quality of the works

Q. Does Tor Homes make a profit out of leaseholders?

A. No Tor Homes is a non-profit making organisation and a
registered charity. We do not make a profit from leaseholders but
we are however expected to cover all our costs in providing the
service. There is a great deal of work and cost involved in setting
up maintenance and repair contracts, carrying out the consultation
process, administering and running the contracts and supervising
the work. We often have to pay for the cost of legal and technical
advice from solicitors and consultants. We also have salaries to pay
for staff that administer and manage leasehold related work, such
as sending the bills, statements, dealing with phone calls.

Q. When do I pay for repairs, maintenance and other work?

A. Where applicable, prior to the start of each financial year we will
send out estimates of Service Charges for the following financial
year. This includes an estimate of all known costs, including
communal electricity, block cleaning, external painting, grounds
maintenance and where applicable sinking fund charges together
with any management and administration costs.

Leaseholders Handbook

A statement of account is produced annually in the Autumn. This
provides details of actual expenditure against estimated costs for
service charges. It also includes costs for any repairs carried out
during that financial period. Once the charges have been balanced
you will then either receive a bill that you should pay, or if you have
been contributing through regular payments the actual cost will be
deducted from the money we have already collected.

Q. What if I have asbestos in my flat?

A. Properties built up until 1990 could contain some building
materials that have asbestos within them. These are not likely to be
dangerous if the building material is in good condition and not
damaged, broken or cut in any way.

The asbestos within your flat is your responsibility, and it is your
responsibility to get a property condition survey when you buy a
flat. The asbestos in communal areas is Tor Homes’ responsibility.

Tor Homes has produced a leaflet about asbestos, which is
available. Tor Homes’ policy is to manage asbestos rather than
remove it in accordance with Health & Safety Executives

Tor Homes has surveyed many of its properties and can give you a
good indication of what may contain asbestos within your property.

Q. Why doesn’t Tor Homes inspect all works carried out by

A. All our contracts are generally block contracts covering large
sections of our stock of approx 3000 properties out of which
leaseholders only account for a small percentage. The supervision

Leaseholders Handbook

of these contracts is done on the basis of inspecting a small sample
of the works and having regular meetings. Inspecting all works is
not economical and will substantially increase surveying and
management costs resulting in increased service charges to you.
We would pay based upon contractor’s notification that the work
has been done after inspecting a few selected sites. If we find
works have not been done correctly we request the contractor to
revisit and complete the works. We also send satisfaction forms to
our residents and the feedback from these is used to monitor the
contractors. It’s therefore important that you return these forms.

Q. Can you recommend any repairing contractors to carry out
repairs for us?

A. No, we do not hold lists of preferred contractors whose details
we could pass on to you. This is something that we could look at if
there was sufficient demand from leaseholders.

Leaseholders Handbook

Leaseholders Handbook


Your right to information

We aim to act in an open and honest way in everything we do. You
have certain rights of access to information held by us, including
the right to inspect your personal or property paper files and any
information we hold electronically on our computer system.

If you believe any information about you is incorrect, please tell us
so it can be corrected or removed.

To view these records, you should contact your Home Ownership
Manager to make an appointment. If you want a copy of the
information we hold about you, please send a request in writing and
we will send you the information within 40 days. We will charge a
fee for providing photocopies and computer printouts.

Confidentiality and Data Protection

We keep records and personal information about you on our
manual and computer records. This information is bound by the
terms of the Data Protection Act 1998.

In exceptional circumstances we reserve the right to contact other
agencies, or next of kin without your permission. We will only do

    In an emergency

    If we believe that your safety and well-being, or that of another
     person, is at risk.

Leaseholders Handbook

    If you are failing to pay your bills and putting your leasehold
     tenancy at risk.

We always co-operate with the police and other statutory bodies
such as social services, and reserve the right to disclose
information to these services if required.

If you would like a copy of our Confidentiality Policy or Data
Protection Policy please contact us.

Leasehold/Shared Ownership Newsletter

We issue a newsletter at least twice a year. This is to provide you
with information, changes in legislation, contact names and
numbers within Tor Homes, and any feedback from issues raised at
the Leaseholder Forum. We also welcome any articles or views
from you, which may be of general interest to other leaseholders
and shared owners. We also send a general newsletter to all our
tenants including you, at least 4 times a year. There is also regular
news on our Internet site www.torhomes.com

Other useful information

We have a wide range of leaflets that give you more information.
These leaflets are available in our reception area. You can pick one
up at any time during opening hours or ring 0800 316 88 39 and
ask us to send you a leaflet.

Leaseholders Handbook


Tor Homes Contacts

How can I contact them?

All the people named below can be contacted by telephoning our
head office on 0800 316 88 39 and asking for the person by name
(Please note that some of these names may change as a result of
staff changes or staff leaving)

Who does what

Home Ownership Team

Malcolm Beecham
Home Ownership Manager

Pam Phillips
Leasehold and Service Charge Advisor

Customer Contact and Advice Team

Jane Randles
Customer Contact and Advice Manager

Debbie Fogell
Senior Customer Advisor

Steve Boyle
Senior Customer Advisor

Leaseholders Handbook

Contract Team

John Taylor
Maintenance Planning and Construction Manager

Peter Jones
Senior Surveyor

Andrew Ashworth
Planned Maintenance Surveyor

Anti Social Behaviour and Enforcement Team

Julie Bingham
Tenancy Enforcement Manager

Lynda Nightingale
Anti Social Behaviour and Enforcement Advisor

Sandra Underhill
Anti Social Behaviour and Enforcement Advisor

Direct Maintenance Team

John McCue
Business Maintenance Manager

Sue Brereton
Repairs Manager

Neil Hayman
Service Team Manager

Leaseholders Handbook

Head Office

Tor Homes
Tor House
St Peters Quay

Telephone Number: 0800 316 88 39
Fax: number:        01803 869636
Website: www.torhomes.com
Email: To contact by e-mail firstname.surname@torhomes.com

External Contacts

City and District Councils

They can give you information on:
   Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit,
   Noise Nuisance,
   Planning,
   Community Safety,
   Refuse collection etc

South Hams District Council
Tel: 01803 861234

Plymouth City Council
Tel 01752 668000

Leaseholders Handbook

Exeter City Council
Tel 01392 277888

Torbay Council
Tel: 01803 201201
Housing Advice
Shelterline; Advice on housing and tenancy matters
Tel: 0808 800 4444

Citizens Advice Bureau
Please look in the telephone directory for your local bureau

RELATE; for couples, families and individuals
Please look in the telephone directory for your local office

Police; Report crime, vandalism etc
Tel 999 if crime in progress, or your local station for other matters.
The local contact number can be found in the telephone directory.

ASB, domestic violence,
Dial 999 if crime in progress

Leasehold Valuation Tribunal
Disputes relating to service charges or lease
10 Alfred Place
Tel: 020 7446 7700

Leaseholders Handbook

The Leasehold Advisory Service.
2nd Floor,
31 Worship Street,
London, EC2A
Website: http://www.lease-advice.org
Telephone: 020 7374 5380
Fax: 020 7374 5373
Email: info@leaseadvice.org

(The Leasehold Advisory Service provides free advice on the law
affecting residential long leasehold property and Commonhold)

LEASE (Also known as Leasehold Advisory Service).
See above

LEASE Mediation Service. Provides a way to settle disputes
without the need to go to court or LVT
Same details as for LEASE above

Housing Corporation. Fund and regulate the provision of affordable
homes in England.
Service charge loans
0845 230 7000

Leaseholders Handbook

Leaseholders Handbook




Telephone Number:

Email Address:

Which parts of this handbook do you find useful?

Which parts of this handbook do you think we should improve, and
how? (Please continue on another sheet if necessary)

Leaseholders Handbook

Any other comments:

Please return any feedback to:

Tor Homes
Tor House
St Peters Quay
Alternatively you can e-mail your comments to us at info@torhomes.com


To top