1. ½ of a ½ is a ____________
2. If the following table were a three-bay sink, what process would be done in each bay?
a. ___________________ b. ____________________ c. ___________________
3. How many ounces are there in one pound? ________________
4. How much cholesterol is in 1 cup of Crisco®? _____________ Grams
5. Three examples of fats we have used are ___________________,
___________________ & ____________________
6. Banana muffins and corn muffins are part of which bread unit? ________________
7. How many tablespoons are in 1 cup? _____________
8. What are two ingredients that make things RISE? (a.k.a. leaveners) _______________
9. What is the difference between a convection oven and a conventional oven?
10. Baking soda makes things_____________
11. Baking powder makes things _____________
12. What ingredient do we pack firmly into a measuring cup?
13. What is another term for confectionary sugar?
14. ________________ measuring cups are generally clear (plastic or glass)
15. ________________ measuring cups are generally stainless steel
16. What kind of pot do you use to melt chocolate? _____________ ______________
17. What is ‘zest’? What product does it come from?
18. AP stands for what in AP flour? _____________ ______________
19. What are the two main filling ingredients in SPANAKOPITA?
_____________ & _________________
20. The two types of cookies are drop/scoop or _____________, an example of which
would be lemon squares.
21. Baklava uses what type of dough? _________________
22. If there are 4 tablespoons in a ¼ cup and two cups of butter in each pound, how many
tablespoons are there in one block of butter?
23. What is the difference between dough & batter?
24. Give one example of each __________________ & _______________________
25. What two pieces of equipment never get washed in the three-bay sink?
__________________________ & ______________________
26. What is cooking/burning in the process of caramelization? __________________
27. What is the difference in the colors of the scoops (besides the color!)?
28. Why do we use scoops for cookies?
29. The yellow part of the egg is the ________________
30. To incorporate air into a batter is called_________________
31. The process in cookie making of mixing sugar and butter is called _____________ing
32. 1 ‘stick’ of butter = _______________ oz.
33. 1 ‘stick’ of butter = _______________ tablespoons
34. 1 ‘stick’ of butter = _______________ teaspoons
35. 1 tablespoon = _________ oz. / 1 oz. = _________ tablespoons
36. If 128 oz. = 1 gallon… 128 oz. = ______ cups = _______ pints = _______ quarts
37. What tool would we use to mix flour and Crisco® in biscuits?
38. What does brushing with egg or cream do before putting an item into the oven?
39. What tool do we always use whenever we use non-stick pans? __________________
40. What is the tool we use to shred cheese or carrots?
41. What are two potential carriers of salmonella?
42. Why do we level the ingredients in measuring cups and spoons?
43. In biscuits, scones and Irish soda bread it looks as if the fat is not thoroughly mixed
into the dough, what GOOD quality does that create in the oven?
44. To slowly incorporate a hot liquid into a heat sensitive [usually cold] ingredient is
called…______________ ing (ex.. Lemon Squares)
45. a. What is one potential ‘heat sensitive ingredient’?
b. What could happen to it if hot liquid were incorporated too quickly?
50. At what temperature should a refrigerator be NO HIGHER THAN?
a. 38º b. 50º c. 60º d. 20º
51. Where is the majority of the butter located?
52. What is a high heat rubber spatula used for?
53. How should a knife be carried for safety?
54. If the first step in a recipe calls for “creaming butter and sugar together”, what are
you most likely making? _____________________________
55. How do you test if muffins are fully cooked?
56. Explain two differences between the kitchen aid mixer and the cuisinart
57. When working with filo dough, you must _________________at all times, so it does
not dry out
58. When cleaning the work tables, we use ______________then________________
59. Why do we crack the eggs in a separate bowl before adding to the rest of the
60. What are a difference between cake flour and all purpose flour?
(0) Zero Crisco/Shortening Rinse
¼ (Quarter) Crêpes Rise
½ (Half) Curdle Roast
Third Double boiler Rolling Pin
3 Dry Safety
4 Egg(s) Sanitation
8 Enchilada Sanitize
16 Fillo/Phyllo Sanitary
32 Flakey Sauté
64 Flakiness Scone
156 Flatbread Scoop
Aerate Fold Scoopable
All purpose French Puff Pastry Separate
Bake Gallon Sift
Baking Powder Gluten Sifter
Baking Soda Gram Simmer
Beat Granulated Solid
Bar Grater Spatula – Metal
Beef Grill Spatula – High Heat
Bench Scraper Heavy Cream Rubber
Biscuit Kosher Salt Specificity
Boil Liquid Spinach
Braise M & M’s Spread
Bread Melt Square
Broil Milk Steam
Brown Oil Sugar
Burn Ounce Taco
Butter Pancakes Tarts
Cake Pastry blender/cutter Temper
Caramelize Pies Tortilla
Cheese Poach Toothpick
Chicken Portion Turnover
Chocolate Pound Wash
Chocolate Chips Pourable White
Chop Pour Batters Whip
Cocoa Powder Powdered Whisk
Confectionary Preheat Whole
Cookie Quesadilla Yolk
Cook sugar Quick