GULF OF MEXICO FISHERY MANAGEMENT COUNCIL by IPEn3Z4

VIEWS: 0 PAGES: 14

									                                                            Tab I, No. 2
 1              GULF OF MEXICO FISHERY MANAGEMENT COUNCIL
 2
 3                   OUTREACH AND EDUCATION COMMITTEE
 4
 5   Hilton Houston-Hobby Hotel                         Houston, Texas
 6
 7                                June 4, 2008
 8
 9
10   VOTING MEMBERS
11   Bobbi Walker..............................................Alabama
12   Joe Hendrix.................................................Texas
13   Julie Morris..............................................Florida
14   Robert Gill...............................................Florida
15   Vernon Minton.............................................Alabama
16   Harlon Pearce...........................................Louisiana
17   William Perret (designee for William Walker)..........Mississippi
18
19   NON-VOTING MEMBERS
20   Roy Crabtree..................NMFS, SERO, St. Petersburg, Florida
21   Karen Foote (designee for John Roussel).................Louisiana
22   Elizabeth Keister (designee for RADM Whitehead)..................
23   8th Coast Guard District, New Orleans, LA
24   Tom McIlwain..........................................Mississippi
25   Michael Ray.................................................Texas
26   Robin Riechers (designee for Larry McKinney)................Texas
27   Larry Simpson...............................................GSMFC
28   Bob Shipp.................................................Alabama
29   William Teehan (designee for Ken Haddad)..................Florida
30   Susan Villere...........................................Louisiana
31   Kay Williams..........................................Mississippi
32
33   STAFF
34   Steven Atran..................................Fisheries Biologist
35   Assane Diagne...........................................Economist
36   Trish Kennedy............................Administrative Assistant
37   Rick Leard..............................Deputy Executive Director
38   Shepherd Grimes..............................NOAA General Counsel
39   Phyllis Miranda.........................................Secretary
40   Charlene Ponce.........................Public Information Officer
41   Cathy Readinger............................Administrative Officer
42   Carrie Simmons................................Fisheries Biologist
43   Wayne Swingle..................................Executive Director
44   Amanda Thomas......................................Court Reporter
45
46   OTHER PARTICIPANTS
47   Dave Allison.............................Oceana, Washington, D.C.
48   Kim Amendola.................................................NMFS


                                       1
 1   Pam Anderson...........................Panama City Beach, Florida
 2   Jeff Barger.................................Environmental Defense
 3   Cliff Beard..................................................USCG
 4   Angela Bednarek.............................Lenfest Ocean Program
 5   Bill Blome......................................Ocean Conservancy
 6   Steve Branstetter............................................NMFS
 7   Glen Brooks...............................................GFA, FL
 8   Jim Clements.......................................Carrabelle, FL
 9   Steven Cunningham.................................Bayou Vista, TX
10   Ken Daniels............................................Ruskin, FL
11   Dale Diaz......................................................MS
12   Dave Donaldson..............................................GSMFC
13   Tracy Dunn...............................................NOAA OLE
14   Jennifer Ise.................................................NMFS
15   Libby Fetherston...............................St. Petersburg, FL
16   Ted Forsgren......................................Tallahassee, FL
17   Gary Hough............................................Houston, TX
18   Tom Jamir..............................................NMFS SEFSC
19   Fred Lifton.............................................Marco, FL
20   Vishwanie Maharaj...............Environmental Defense, Austin, TX
21   Rick Miller.............................................Rifle, CO
22   Russell Nelson..............................CCA, Oakland Park, FL
23   Mike Nugent....Port Aransas Boatmen Association, Aransas Pass, TX
24   Dennis O’Hern.............................FRA, St. Petersburg, FL
25   Randy Pausina.......................................Louisiana DWF
26   Bonnie Ponwith...................................SEFSC, Miami, FL
27   Joe Powers...................................................NMFS
28   Karen Raine.............................................NOAA GCEL
29   Hal Robbins..............................................NOAA OLE
30   Jim Smarr..............................................Fulton, TX
31   Ed Swindell...........................................Hammond, LA
32   Andy Strelcheck..............................................NMFS
33   Brian Sullivan...............................................USCG
34   Bill Tucker...........................................Dunedin, FL
35   Bob Zales, II, .....Panama City Boatmen’s Assoc., Panama City, FL
36
37                                   - - -
38
39   The Outreach and Education Committee of the Gulf of Mexico
40   Fishery Management Council convened in Ballroom C/D/E of the
41   Hilton Houston-Hobby Hotel, Houston, Texas, Wednesday afternoon,
42   June 4, 2008, and was called to order at 1:40 o’clock p.m. by
43   Chairman Bobbi Walker.
44
45                          ADOPTION OF AGENDA
46
47   CHAIRMAN BOBBI WALKER:    I’m    going to call the Outreach and
48   Education Committee to order.     Tab I, Number 1, you’ll see the


                                       2
 1   agenda.   Are there any additions or deletions? Hearing none,
 2   we’ll go to the proposed mission statement and Ms. Ponce is
 3   going to handle that for us.
 4
 5                       PROPOSED MISSION STATEMENT
 6
 7   MS. CHARLENE PONCE: Basically, it’s just a sentence or two that
 8   I have put together for you to look at and decide if you want to
 9   change it or keep it or -- You want me to read it? The proposed
10   mission statement is to help further the communications goal,
11   which is to improve attitudes toward and awareness of the
12   council and to increase participation in the fishery management
13   process by aiding the long-term planning and communication
14   projects and setting the strategic direction, priorities, and
15   focus of the communications efforts undertaken by the council.
16
17   CHAIRMAN WALKER:   Is there any discussion among the committee?
18
19   MR. BOB GILL: I think it’s a good statement. The only question
20   which flagged in my mind was that we don’t discuss overtly the
21   education aspect of the committee.    It’s there subtly, but I’m
22   not so sure that in terms of discussing the mission that perhaps
23   we need to explicitly state education somewhere in there, to
24   reinforce what the committee is about.
25
26   CHAIRMAN WALKER:    What about after it says “and to increase
27   participation” adding “education” in there also, in the fishery
28   management process? Would that do it for you, Mr. Gill, or do
29   you have another suggestion?
30
31   MR. GILL:   I think that will work.
32
33   MR. CORKY PERRET:  I think we need to massage it quite a bit.
34   First off, what is our communications goal?          We said
35   communications goal and do we have a goal?    That’s my first
36   question.
37
38   MS. PONCE:   If you look between the dashes, that sentence in
39   between there, that is the communications goal. It’s to improve
40   the attitudes towards and awareness of the council and to
41   increase participation in the fishery management process.
42
43   CHAIRMAN WALKER:   And education now.
44
45   MR. PERRET: I think, and this is me, that one thing -- I think
46   the language needs some massaging. I would prefer something to
47   the effect of to improve communications with stakeholders and
48   then continue that type of stuff, but the one thing I see


                                      3
 1   missing in there -- We may be, which we’re not now, but we may
 2   be the greatest communicators in the world, but if we don’t
 3   communicate in a timely fashion, what good does it do?
 4
 5   I think that’s as important as the communications, that we have
 6   to do it in a timely, efficient manner.      One of the things,
 7   reading this specific council’s paper, is that timing, quote, is
 8   the key.    We often learn of regulations after they go into
 9   effect and so I think we should have something about timeliness
10   in our communications statement.
11
12   MS. JULIE MORRIS:   Charlene, is the goal between the dashes
13   something that’s officially adopted by us as a communication
14   goal?
15
16   MS. PONCE:   That is what was in that communications plan that
17   you all reviewed about a year-and-a-half ago.
18
19   MS. MORRIS:    I think that we’re not just trying to increase
20   participation.    That sounds like we want more people to
21   participate, but we’re also trying to make participation more
22   rewarding for both us and the public.
23
24   It seems like we’re not just trying to -- Getting back to the
25   point that Bob was making, we’re trying to help improve people’s
26   understanding of both the fisheries science and our management
27   options that we’re working with.   It’s really hard to do group
28   editing, but if you could take all of these things, the
29   timeliness and the education and make participation more
30   valuable and rewarding, and kind of get it all in there in a
31   rewrite, that would be great.
32
33   MS. PONCE:   Okay.
34
35   CHAIRMAN WALKER:    Charlene, from what I understood from the
36   comments, Mr. Perret wants something about the stakeholders and
37   timely information and Mr. Gill wanted education and Ms. Morris
38   wants to add participation that is rewarding in the process.
39
40   MS. PONCE:   Improve understanding.
41
42   MS. MORRIS:     Better   understanding   of   both   the   science   and
43   management options.
44
45   MR. GILL:      I think in reference to Corky’s wish for
46   stakeholders, I think it’s good, but I think we ought to broaden
47   it to say “public and stakeholders” because not everybody who is
48   involved is necessarily a stakeholder.


                                      4
 1
 2   CHAIRMAN WALKER: Mr. Perret, is that all right with you, to use
 3   the word “public” instead of “stakeholders”?
 4
 5   MR. PERRET:    Absolutely.
 6
 7   MS. PONCE:    Public and stakeholders.
 8
 9   CHAIRMAN WALKER:    Is there any objection to giving Charlene
10   editorial license?   All right. Charlene, now talk to us about
11   the creation of an O&E AP.
12
13                           CREATION OF AN O&E AP
14
15   MS. PONCE: First, you need to decide whether or not you want to
16   create and O&E AP and then if you do, and I’m assuming you do, I
17   guess I just need to know what the makeup will be and if you
18   want to develop a charge or if you want to let them do that
19   themselves and I also wanted to know if I needed to -- If you
20   decide, do I need to do a recruitment or will you each appoint
21   somebody or how that will work.
22
23   For frame of reference, I wanted to let you know that the South
24   Atlantic Council -- It’s the only other council that has an AP
25   like this and it has ten members.    It has representatives from
26   Sea Grant, state outreach agencies, stakeholders, and other
27   education outreach specialists, just for frame of reference.
28
29   CHAIRMAN WALKER: If we will, to make this hopefully go a little
30   faster, first, is there any objection from the committee in
31   forming an AP? Does someone on the committee feel like an AP is
32   not necessary?
33
34   MS. MORRIS:   I’m not raising my hand to say I think it’s not
35   necessary, but I’m just wondering what kinds of questions would
36   we pose and what kind of reviews would an AP do and how would an
37   AP help us?
38
39   CHAIRMAN WALKER:   I think we’re going to have to develop the
40   charge first and that’s next.
41
42   MR. GILL:   I think to that point, I think an AP is absolutely
43   necessary. What we want to do -- Most of us in this committee,
44   with   one  perhaps   exception,  are   not   experts in media
45   communications and getting the word out, et cetera.
46
47   There’s a host of folks that do that for a living and know a
48   whole lot more about it than we do and to the extent that we can


                                       5
 1   tap into that and have them help us bring these ideas and how we
 2   actually make them come to fruition I think is a vital part of
 3   this committee. Without it, I’m not sure that the committee can
 4   be very effective at all.
 5
 6   CHAIRMAN WALKER:    Let me ask you, Mr. Gill, what is your
 7   thoughts on the makeup of this committee? Are you talking about
 8   getting the public or using media as members?
 9
10   MR. GILL:   I think there’s a variety of approaches that can be
11   used here and I think the South Atlantic is not a bad model to
12   start with, but I would suggest, for example, that there’s NGOs
13   and associations and organizations, trade associations, et
14   cetera, that might be party to this that we could work with in
15   terms of trying to get that word out.
16
17   Part of it getting the word out and part of it is educating when
18   you do that and I think some composite of experts in the field
19   and as I say, potentially partnering and maybe those folks would
20   like to have a person on the AP to help make that happen.
21
22   CHAIRMAN WALKER:      Maybe if we let Charlene review for us the
23   type of committee    that the South Atlantic has set up and what
24   their charge was     and who the people were that served on the
25   committee, it will   make us move a little faster.
26
27   MS. PONCE: Their purpose and charge is to evaluate the outreach
28   tools that they’re currently using and try to develop new ones
29   and they’re reevaluated the website and done some changes to
30   that. They have the Oculina Banks and there was a project that
31   they did with that, that they kicked off with the AP, and
32   they’re working on some other things, like improving their
33   newsletter and things like that.
34
35   On there, they have Sea Grant. I do believe they have a media
36   person, a sports writer, I think, an outdoors writer, and like I
37   said, the state outreach people and they do have some NGOs and I
38   believe some fishermen as well.
39
40   CHAIRMAN WALKER:     I need to hear from the committee now.
41
42   MR. JOE HENDRIX:   I think one of the more important things, to
43   expand on what Bob said, is this committee is going to be quite
44   a bit different or the advisory panel is going to be quite a bit
45   different than the regular advisory panels, because it’s going
46   to be a function of what the council does and not so much public
47   fishery management plans or public information.
48


                                        6
 1   It’s going to be an attempt to improve these items mentioned in
 2   the thing, the awareness of the council, the image of the
 3   council, and the interaction with public media, too. That’s one
 4   of the big factors.     We’re not going to be looking for the
 5   general public to populate the advisory panel.    We’re going to
 6   be looking, like he said, for media people that can review and
 7   make pertinent recommendations.
 8
 9   MR. BILL TEEHAN:    I’m not on the committee, but just to that
10   point.    In Florida, we have established several different
11   advisory panels and workgroups and what we found was for the
12   most part that newspaper reporters did not or were not allowed
13   to participate on those. I don’t know if that would be the case
14   here, sports writers and so forth.
15
16   MR. HARLON PEARCE:   I envision this also as technology is just
17   running so fast and we’re not keeping up with it and I think
18   there’s ways that -- We need to have a good IT guy on this
19   particular group, because we might be able to save money at the
20   council level too, with video conferencing and these town hall
21   phone calls that I see a lot of the politicians are using
22   nowadays.
23
24   I notice when we have these 5:30 to 6:30 meetings in the evening
25   that they mean something to people and so if we can find better
26   access to the public to us and we can do it and save money and
27   do ways that this council can do a better job with it -- I’m
28   sure there’s tons of things out there that we aren’t aware of
29   that an IT specialist could help us with.
30
31   MR. GILL: I hate to disagree with my colleague from Louisiana,
32   but it seems to me that the purpose of this committee is to go
33   outside the council. We’re not looking to become more effective
34   in the council, administratively. His point is well taken, but
35   I don’t believe that should be involved with this committee, per
36   se, because we’re trying to go out way beyond us and not figure
37   out how the council can operate better.
38
39   MR. PEARCE:   I agree and I disagree.   First off, I am talking
40   about outreach.   I’m talking about town hall meetings that are
41   outreach to the public, that teach them about what we’re doing
42   and where we’re going and educate them on where we are and
43   that’s part of it.
44
45   The other part of it was also in the council. I did say things
46   with the video conferencing thing, but I believe there’s a lot
47   of ways for us to touch these people differently than just
48   having a big mass meeting.     I think there’s ways that the


                                    7
 1   technology that we can find and that’s out there that’s being
 2   utilized today will effectively give us the outreach we need
 3   without spending a lot of money.
 4
 5   CHAIRMAN WALKER:   The education too, because I think if people
 6   understood better stock assessments and the law and what we’re
 7   required to do that it would be better.
 8
 9   MR. PERRET: Bobbi, you just summed it up. How do we get that
10   type of information in a fashion that’s understandable to
11   people? Now, I fully support an Outreach and Education AP. I
12   look at that type of committee that, in my mind, would be made
13   up of the people with that kind of expertise.
14
15   Each resource agency has that kind of section in their
16   department, PR or call it what you will. Sea Grant has got them
17   and there’s others. For that committee and their makeup to tell
18   us ways that have proven successful in getting material of that
19   type out -- It’s not going to be that committee’s job to get it
20   out. It’s going to be our staff and our job to get it out.
21
22   Now, these people that follow us around to all the meetings,
23   they know as much or more about what we do and not do than
24   anybody else.     The South Atlantic and their stakeholders
25   meetings, town hall meetings, that’s great, but that’s only good
26   for the people that come to the meetings and the people that the
27   people that come to the meetings talk to.
28
29   We still need to get hard copies, electronic -- We need to get
30   it out and how do we do that is what I think an AP with the
31   right expertise could tell us or suggest to us what to do.
32
33   CHAIRMAN WALKER:   I agree with you, Corky, but we also need to
34   learn or have someone help us in putting in layman’s terms stock
35   assessments and what the law says, so that people can understand
36   that.
37
38   MR. LARRY SIMPSON: How we get it out, Corky, as well as what.
39   My comment was to support Harlon.    Sometimes, Bob, you have to
40   do some things internally that will facilitate going outside.
41   For example, I don’t know if Trish is responsible or I don’t
42   know who is responsible, but the disc thing. That’s an internal
43   thing that’s probably saved no telling how much staff time going
44   out and not just to us, but to the public.
45
46   In our office, we’ve scanned just about everything that we have,
47   so you can go to our website and download a lot of things.
48   Being able to download documents and download things and while


                                    8
 1   that’s kind of an internal thing, it’s also an outreach thing
 2   and so I was kind of supporting what Harlon said.
 3
 4   CHAIRMAN WALKER:    Let me make sure that Charlene understands
 5   what we’ve talked about and that is that we want an education
 6   program that will in layman’s terms explain to the public stock
 7   assessments and how the fishery management process goes and I
 8   think that we have a lot of that stuff on our website now.
 9   Don’t we, Charlene?
10
11   MS. PONCE:      Yes, we do.
12
13   CHAIRMAN WALKER: We do have a lot of that, if some of you have
14   not visited our website. Should we first -- Let’s just try to
15   figure out who and what type of people and how many we want on
16   this AP.   Apparently, from what I understand, we’re going to
17   want one person from each state that is in PR for that state.
18
19   MR. GILL:   This is one of those chicken and egg problems, but
20   one way to do it is just advertise and see what we get back and
21   then pick and choose from there. We may find that even though
22   we want a person from this kind of discipline or expertise that
23   we don’t get it.
24
25   The other way is what you’re suggesting, that we make a list of
26   what we would like to have and then solicit them. I think the
27   key in either one is getting the information out to the right
28   sets of folks so that they can apply. That’s required in either
29   case, because we can be looking for a media guy, but if we don’t
30   get the word out to him saying we’re looking for somebody here,
31   it makes no difference.   The stronger influence is getting out
32   the information saying we’re looking for folks and if you’re
33   interested, please apply on the website or call Charlene or
34   email or whatever.
35
36   CHAIRMAN WALKER:  Do you agree that it would be helpful for us
37   to determine the number of people, if we want one seat that’s
38   media or one from each state that is involved in public
39   relations? Do you think that would be helpful?
40
41   MR. GILL:   If you ask me, I think it’s six to one and a half-
42   dozen to the other.
43
44   CHAIRMAN WALKER:          Does anybody on the committee have a
45   recommendation on       how we want to determine the number of
46   members?
47
48   MR.   PERRET:      I   assume   each   state   agency   has   that   type   of


                                            9
 1   personnel and so I would suggest that the state agency people
 2   would make a recommendation for someone from each of their
 3   agencies, plus Sea Grant has an education component and I would
 4   definitely like to see them involved. That’s off the top of my
 5   head at this time and I’m sure there’s others we would want
 6   included, but Sea Grant does a pretty good job with education.
 7
 8   CHAIRMAN WALKER:  Charlene told us that there were ten on the
 9   South Atlantic and can you tell us how they structured theirs?
10   Do you know?
11
12   MS. PONCE: I don’t know how they recruited for it.    I just know
13   who sits on it. That’s not very helpful.
14
15   CHAIRMAN WALKER:   Do you know what they represent?      Are they
16   stakeholders or --
17
18   MS. PONCE:   There are state agency PR people and from the list
19   that I got from Kim, there’s an outdoor writer, a Sea Grant
20   agent, and there are three or four others.
21
22   CHAIRMAN WALKER:   Probably the three or four others would be
23   stakeholders.   I’m going to throw something out and agree or
24   disagree or change it.   Five public members, five people from
25   the state, one Sea Grant person, and one outdoor writer.    That
26   gives us twelve. Does anybody have any other recommendations?
27
28   MR. GILL: How about if you change the terminology from “outdoor
29   writer” to one “media expert”?
30
31   CHAIRMAN WALKER:   I will accept that.   Anybody else have any
32   other suggestions?   Does anybody object to this makeup of the
33   AP?
34
35   MS. MORRIS: That’s fine and I just don’t think we should go any
36   higher than twelve, because that’s too many people.     I think
37   fewer is better.
38
39   CHAIRMAN WALKER:   The reason I said five from the public is I
40   would hope that we would get at least one from each state and
41   then have the representatives from the state and then include
42   Sea Grant and someone from the media.
43
44   MR. HENDRIX:     Really, the target group for all of these
45   developments is the public and so to have the public involved is
46   really -- I think that’s redundant.
47
48   CHAIRMAN WALKER:   You don’t want the public involved then?


                                     10
 1
 2   MR. HENDRIX:     They’re going to be the recipient of all the
 3   information.
 4
 5   MR. GILL: My take is slightly different. It seems to me that
 6   what we’re really looking for here are expertise and resources
 7   to assist us in doing this job and so -- If they’re a
 8   stakeholder, that’s fine, but I think it’s more important that
 9   they bring something to the table that helps us do that.
10
11   I don’t think the ideas are a problem.      It’s a question of
12   what’s going to work and how do we do it and make the mechanics
13   of it work and so I think expertise is more important than just
14   anybody -- Joe Public or whatever.
15
16   MR. HENDRIX:   I would agree and to remember that the advisory
17   panel really is going to be an advisory group to the council for
18   development of the outreach and education process and it’s going
19   to be quite a bit different than the other advisory panels,
20   where they’re trying to create a public process.
21
22   CHAIRMAN WALKER:  Mr. Hendrix, do you now feel that five from
23   the public with expertise is not too many?      Do you and Ms.
24   Morris agree that twelve isn’t too many for us to look at to
25   begin with? If you don’t, let’s either do it or not, but --
26
27   MS. MORRIS:    I would say twelve is okay, but thirteen would be
28   problematic.
29
30   CHAIRMAN WALKER: Do I hear any objections to establishing an AP
31   of twelve people and the makeup that we’ve talked about?     We
32   haven’t and so, Charlene, that’s our instructions.         Now,
33   Charlene has the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council -- I
34   think this is a study and do you want to go through some of the
35   findings that they had on this survey that they took of
36   constituents?
37
38   MS. PONCE: They conducted this study back in 2003 and they did
39   a direct mail survey to about 1,500 of the people who were
40   already in their database and so they’re people who are familiar
41   with the process and who are involved already.
42
43   It ended up coming back with quite a few really good effective
44   ideas and some of them we do already, but some of them we don’t
45   and would probably not be too difficult to implement.     Some of
46   the more prominent recommendations were to hold meetings in all
47   the states that land fish, but I think we already do that.
48


                                     11
 1   Compile a summary of federal     rules and proposed rules and send
 2   that out periodically, now I    know that NOAA Fisheries does that
 3   and I kind of take what they    do and send it out to our people,
 4   but there’s probably a better   way to do that.
 5
 6   Some of the things that the fishermen wanted were more
 7   newsletters, maybe not as large, maybe more frequent but smaller
 8   newsletters.   We don’t do a good enough job of contacting, and
 9   this was in the recommendation, of contacting all the fisheries
10   associations and partnering with them, because that’s how the
11   news moves around.
12
13   We can improve our website by adding a few things to it, like
14   habitat information and maps, graphics, stock assessments and
15   things like that. Conducting town meetings, one of the things -
16   - Rick and I tried this about a year-and-a-half ago and it
17   didn’t turn out quite the way we wanted it to, but it could
18   probably be tweaked or maybe we could do some sort of hybrid of
19   what the South Atlantic has recently started doing with their
20   town meetings.
21
22   We could have a Q&A session before our public hearings, so that
23   there’s the two-way dialogue, so that people feel like they’re
24   truly being heard.   That’s something the AP can talk about, I
25   guess.
26
27   We do the e-newsletter and they recommended an explanatory
28   statement of differentiating between the various federal and
29   state agencies.   Kim Iverson with the South Atlantic and Kim
30   Amendola with NOAA Fisheries and I have been working on that.
31   It kind of got put on the back burner, but it’s something we can
32   pick back up.     It’s probably about two-thirds of the way
33   complete.
34
35   There were more things. Those were the only ones I wrote down
36   to highlight, but there are more in the report that’s in your
37   back-up.
38
39   CHAIRMAN WALKER:    The only thing I wanted to add was in the
40   report, they ask -- The survey respondents were also asked to
41   select topics to be addressed during educational and outreach
42   meetings.   They listed them in order of preference and stock
43   assessment was first, fishery management process was second,
44   regulations next, socioeconomic information, recent council
45   actions, and council programs.
46
47   MR. PERRET:  I was thinking about membership.  It seems to me
48   didn’t the Region, Roy’s office, hire a PR type person in the


                                      12
 1   recent past?
 2
 3   CHAIRMAN WALKER:     Yes and I think we would like to borrow Kim,
 4   maybe.
 5
 6   MR. PERRET:    I think we should include that individual,      if
 7   indeed we set up this committee. I forgot about the NMFS.
 8
 9   CHAIRMAN WALKER: Excellent suggestion.    If there’s no objection
10   -- Julie, we’re going to thirteen.
11
12   DR. ROY CRABTREE:  I’m not on your committee and I know you’ve
13   already talked about it, but boy, that is a lot of people to
14   have on an AP.
15
16   CHAIRMAN WALKER:   Somebody make a suggestion.
17
18   MS. MORRIS:   Let’s just have three members of the public and
19   they could come from three different states and we won’t decide
20   which states until later.
21
22   CHAIRMAN WALKER:   That would give us a total of eleven then:
23   three from the public, five from the state, one Sea Grant, one
24   media, and Kim.
25
26   MR. PERRET:   When we say members of the public, we’re talking
27   about qualified PR type members of the public or just --
28
29   CHAIRMAN WALKER:  Yes. Mr. Gill had said that they would need
30   some expertise and I guess my next question then would be to
31   Larry. Larry, do you have anybody on your staff that you feel
32   would be helpful?
33
34   MR. SIMPSON:   No.     We’ve got plenty to do and we don’t need
35   anything else.
36
37   MR. PEARCE:    The public I would hope would be technology
38   experts. We have to have a technology guy on this committee.
39
40   CHAIRMAN WALKER:   I think Charlene understands that.    We have
41   settled on the number and the makeup of the AP and I suspect --
42   I guess we would need to instruct Charlene to write all five
43   states and Sea Grant and officially write Kim to participate in
44   this AP and now the media person, do we just want her to send
45   out something sort of a blast thing in the Southeast to media
46   and do the same thing with what we do with the public when we’re
47   trying to get them to join APs?
48


                                      13
 1   MS. MORRIS:  I thought we would use our AP Selection Committee
 2   and the normal processes that we use to develop an AP for this
 3   AP. I just assumed that that would be the process that we would
 4   use.
 5
 6   CHAIRMAN WALKER:   We don’t normally go out -- How is the media
 7   and -- Maybe Mr. Chairman can help us.
 8
 9   MR. TOM MCILWAIN: It seems like we could put that on the agenda
10   for this committee for the next meeting.   People would submit
11   names in these categories and then we could call a meeting for
12   the next council meeting.
13
14   CHAIRMAN WALKER:   Will the committee accept and give Charlene
15   leeway on how to contact the people and then have them for us at
16   the next council meeting, have résumés for us to look at?
17
18   MR. PEARCE:    Charlene, are you comfortable with that?
19
20   MS. PONCE:    Yes.
21
22   CHAIRMAN WALKER:   I don’t think there’s anything else for the
23   committee to address at this meeting and so we gave time and we
24   want appreciation, applause, and bows.
25
26   (Whereupon, the meeting adjourned at 2:10 o’clock p.m., June 4,
27   2008.)
28
29                                   - - -




                                      14

								
To top