RICHARD L. OSBORNE SR_____6701 Raintree Ct. Pahrump, NV 89061
(Cell) 330.603.7346 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Public Management Professional
A Public Management Professional with a progressive and strong background in local government
environment in Administration, Finance and Law Enforcement. Strengths include:
Excellent Negotiator Employee/Labor Relations
Economic Development Capital/Tax Budgeting
Broad Knowledge of City Government
Bachelor of Arts, Management, MALONE COLLEGE, Canton, OH, 1993.
Certified Public Finance Administrator (CPFA), 2000-2010.
International City/County Managers Association (ICMA), Credentialed Manager since
United States Army Reserve, 1967 - 1971
County of Nye, Nevada - August 2008 – January 2012
Manage (CEO) a county of approx. 50,000 people with over 18,000 square mile area. Service provided by
approximately 500 employees. I was responsible for oversight and management of all county employees and
functions excluding the elected official’s responsibilities.
Created Ombudsman Position
Direct Recruited “Information Technology Director” - saved Nye County in excess of 250,000
Created Ad Hoc Committee
Improved Relations within the Business Community
Created Preconstruction Meetings
Completion of New Administration Building and Campus at Calvada Eye
Remodel of Pahrump Courts
Seat on Executive Committee of Nevada Development Authority
Improved Relationships with Town of Pahrump
Established Economic Development Committee
Established Liaison with Nevada Communities on Economic Development
Centralized Economic Development within Nye County Removing It from Eden
Redirected Economic Development Funding Back to Nye County from Eden
Implemented Regular Business Surveys within Nye County Community
Began Restructuring Animal Control/Shelter Operations
Assisted in Redrawing Commission Districts within Nye County
Improved the Planning Process through 3 – 2 – 1 Process
RICHARD L. OSBORNE SR._________________ _page 2
CITY OF TALLMADGE - Tallmadge, OH January 1971 – October 2007
A 13.5-square mile community located within Summit and Portage Counties with a population of 17,500, 340
business establishments, and 200 city employees.
Director of Administration Tallmadge January 2000-Oct. 2007
I was charged with planning, administering and developing the City's Capital Project, Operating and Tax
budgets. I oversaw and directed activities of the Economic Development Department and Human
Resources Department. I managed a $300,000 operating budget and a staff of two. I was appointed by
and reported to the Mayor of Tallmadge.
• Negotiator—Served as Chief Negotiator for the City's six bargaining unit contracts (Fire, Police,
Telecommunications, Roads, Garage, Water/Sewers), and the resolution of all issues.
• Capital Budget Planning—I formulated a 10-year capital budget plan for the City with a $3M
budgeted for in 2007.
• Downtown Revitalization—Invested $3M in the West Avenue Business District to revitalize the area
for planned growth.
• Historic Preservation—Modifying the existing regulations to still maintain but be more business
friendly within the Design Control Business District. This area has strict architectural standards
and land use planning requirements to preserve historic character of community.
• Citizen Volunteer Organizations—Established and Chaired the Adventure and Leadership City
Program. The business community and city government offices collaborate to promote educational
dialogue with the City's high school students, 2000-2007.
• Smart Growth Principles—Liaison between elected officials and the business community in the
formulation of a Joint Economic Development District (JEDD) between the City of Tallmadge
and Brimfield Township in 2003.Worked to establish another JEDD with Suffield Township.
• Efficiency Savings—Undertook cost-cutting measures in 2006, which saved over $100,000 to the
Administration Departmental budget.
• City Water /Sewer Systems—Negotiated a 25-year lease agreement with Summit County to provide
more efficient operations. Achieved a 25% reduction in cost to Tallmadge citizens.
• Economic Development Incentive Programs—Oversee businesses development incentive programs.
Current programs include tax abatement and enterprise zone abatements.
• Local Cable TV Operations—Negotiated the franchise agreement with Warner Cable.
• Human Resources—Negotiated new healthcare coverage contracts and realized a $500,000
savings annually effective January 2007. I conducted research on Health Savings Account. (HSA)
Treasurer - City Hall (1996-2000)
Accountable for all receipts and guardian of all monies paid to the City from all sources (averaging $10M
annually), 1996-2000. Managed City's investment portfolio totaling $9M-$ 11M. Supervised staff of five
(accounting and tax personnel). I was elected to a 4-year term.
• Converted manual filing system to an electronic scanning system for the income tax returns.
RICHARD L. OSBORNE SR._________________ _page 3
Operations Commander, Lieutenant - Police Department (1987-1996)
Oversaw and directed Criminal Investigations, Patrol Division, Jail Operations, and the Communications
Center. Responsible for the development and management of the annual budgets, supervision of 32
employees, staff studies, personnel allocations and evaluations, internal affairs investigations, development
of policies, procedures and rules of conduct.
• Formulated and executed a plan to bring the Police Department into compliance with the national
accreditation standards under (CALEA) Commission for Accreditation of Law Enforcement Agencies.
Criminal Investigations Commander, Sergeant - Police Department (1982-1987)
Patrol Sergeant - Police Department (1975-1982)
Patrol Officer-Police Department (1971-1975)
Ohio Finance Officer Association, Kent State University
Certified Public Finance Administrator (CPFA) 2000-2010
Bachelor of Arts, Management (G.P.A.: 3.6), MALONE COLLEGE, Canton, OH 1993
Business Management & Criminal Justice, UNIVERISTY OF AKRON, Akron, OH.
Completed various coursework, 1982-1991.
Veteran United States Army Reserve 1967 – 1971, Honorable Discharge
LOCAL GOVERNMENT MANAGERS ASSOCIATION OF NEVADA (LOGMAN) 2008-2012 , Served
as Vice President 2010
MEMBER—International City / County Management Association (ICMA), 2000- Present.
TRUST MEMBER—Richardson Trust Fund, Tallmadge, OH. An association that helps individuals in
financial distress. 1997-2000.
ADVISOR—Partnered with Kent State University in the development of a training program for
Summit County Probation Officers, 1997-1999.
CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR—Law Enforcement Academy, 1990-1996.
LIFE MEMBER—Police Executive Leadership College, Alumni Association, 1996-present. (PELC)
RICHARD L. OSBORNE SR._________________ _page 4
ADVISOR—Summit Metro Critical Response and Rescue Team, 1990-1994.
NATIONAL ASSESSOR—Commission for Accreditation of Law Enforcement Agencies, 1989-1993.
MEMBER—Traffic Institute Northwestern University Alumni Association, 1991. (NUTI)
LICENSED PILOT—Federal Aviation Administration, 1977-Present.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT / TRAINING
• Credentialed Manager ICMA 2009
• "CPFA Maintenance Program," Kent State University, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005.
• "Collective Bargaining," by The State Employment Relations Board, 2002.
• "Accounting & Auditing CPE GASB 34 Local Government," 2001.
• "Energizing Your Budget Process with Performance Measurement," "What GASB Statement No. 34
Means for Budgeting," "Performance Budgeting," "Just-in-Time Planning: Cutback Management if the
Economy Turns," by The Government Finance Officers Association, 2001.
• "Best Practices in Budgeting & Management," The Government Finance Officers Association, 2000.
• "Ohio Public Finance Officers Training Program," Kent State University, 1997 - 2005.
• "Investment Law & Management," "Portfolio Reporting & Accounting," "Cash Management," by
Center for Public Investment Management, 1998.
• "Banking Relations & Cash Management," by The Government Finance Officers Association, 1997.
• School of Police Staff and Command (120 hrs), Northwestern University, Traffic Institute, Ohio State
Highway Patrol Academy, Columbus, OH, 1991.
• Police Executive Leadership College (120 hrs), Ohio Association of Chiefs of Police, Ohio State
University, Columbus, OH, 1988.
• "Applied Criminology," Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification & Investigation, (40 hr), 1974.
• Ohio Peace Officer Basic Training Program (500 hrs), Peace Officer Training Council, 1971.
• Numerous Law Enforcement related topics, 1971-1991.