1. A high speed train travels with an average speed of 507 km/h. The train travels for 3 h.
How far does the train travel?
2. A cross-country runner runs 15 km in 35 minutes. What is his average speed?
3. Find the acceleration of a car that goes from 72 m/s to 96 m/s in 6.0 s.
4. Felicia wanted to pull out a particular issue from a pile of magazines. First, she tried
pulling slowly, and the whole pile began to move. Then she tried pulling quickly, and the
issue she wanted came out without the pile moving. The pile did not move when she
pulled quickly because of the ____.
5. The acceleration due to gravity is ____.
6. An astronaut is planning a trip to a newly-discovered planet. According to Newton's law
of universal gravitation, the astronaut's weight on the new planet will be greater than his
weight on Earth if:
7. Calculate the force on an object that has a mass of 35 kg and an acceleration of 7 m/s2.
8. A 400-N force acts on a 55-kg object. The acceleration of the object is ____.
9. A rocket sled accelerates from 5 m/sec to 35 m/sec in 3 seconds. What is the acceleration
of the sled?
10. Mrs. J. weighs 557 N. What is her mass?
11. A 4.0 kg shotput is thrown with 30 N of force. What is its acceleration?
12. 10-kg wagon has a speed of 25 m/s. What is its momentum?
13. A real car moving at 10 km/h has more momentum than a toy car moving at the same speed
because the real car ____.
A ball attached to a string is being swung in a clockwise circular path as shown in Figure 3-1. Assume the
string breaks at point A. In which direction will the ball be traveling an instant later?
15. A ball attached to a string is being swung in a clockwise circular path as shown in Figure 3-1. In
which direction will the acceleration on the ball be when the ball passes point A?