CITY of SHEFFIELD
This authority / service is committed to safeguarding
and promoting the welfare of children and young
people and expects all staff and volunteers to share
SERVICE EARLY YEARS EDUCATION AND CHILDCARE
POST TITLE FINANCE ASSISTANT
SALARY RANGE SUG 2/3
RESPONSIBLE TO SENIOR FINANCE OFFICER
RESPONSIBLE FOR NIL STAFF
FOR: FINANCE ASSISTANTS
HOLIDAY AND BY : FINANCE ASSISTANTS
SICKNESS RELIEF FINANCE OFFICERS
* For duties appropriate for the grade and purpose of
To work within the Core Finance Team of the Early Years
Education and Childcare Service to provide a flexible and
comprehensive support service in particular
Inputting transactions onto the Sheffield City
PURPOSE OF JOB
Council Financial System – OneWorld
Operating a helpline service
Providing support and assistance to Finance
Officers to achieve key targets
JOB DESCRIPTION FOR POST OF:- FINANCE ASSISTANT
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The postholder must at all times carry out his/her responsibilities within the spirit of
the City Council’s Policies and Procedures, in particular the Council Policies on
Equal Opportunities and Health and Safety and also, within the framework of the
Education Act 1996.
1. To assist in the operation of financial procedures in accordance with Departmental and
2. To raise orders, invoices, receipt goods/services and input other transactions as
necessary onto the Sheffield City Council Financial System – OneWorld.
3. To operate a petty cash float, paying out reimbursements to staff, re-floating the cash
in hand and keeping records as appropriate.
4. To receive and bank miscellaneous income as necessary ensuring proper records are
5. To operate a telephone helpline and be the first point of contact for responding to
queries received by the EYECS Core Finance Team.
6. To assist in the provision of financial advice, information and support across all finance
activity areas of the EYECS as appropriate.
7. To assist in the monitoring of revenue income and expenditure against EYECS activity
8. To produce reports from the Sheffield City Council Financial System (OneWorld)
collate and enter information on monitoring statements and other financial records as
required to set deadlines.
9. To assist in maintaining and updating systems which monitor the financial
performance and compliance of Activity Managers.
10. To assist in establishing and maintaining procedure and process notes for the Core
Finance Team / Service.
11. To assist in the development of Finance Section Plans and to contribute to the review
of their effectiveness.
12. Under the direction of the Senior Finance Officer to plan activities in line with service
plans to achieve team and individual targets.
13. To contribute to operating and developing internal management information and
systems, and in producing statistical information and reports for the EYECS as
required by management or other relevant bodies.
14. To work collaboratively as part of the Core Finance Team and to contribute to team
meetings and development.
15. To take responsibility for providing support to ensure meetings and events run
smoothly including providing agendas and taking minutes as appropriate.
16. To undertake general office duties and maintain efficient and effective filing systems.
17. To work collaboratively and contribute to the maintenance and enhancement of
effective working relationships with colleagues in the EYECS and other organisations.
18. To undertake training and continuous personal development identified as relevant to
19. To ensure confidentiality of all information under Sheffield City Council’s Code of
20. To undertake any other duties as appropriate to the grade and purpose of the post as
may be required after negotiations between management, the postholder and
appropriate Trade Unions.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
The terms and conditions of service of this post are those laid down by APT&C scheme of
conditions of service as applied by Sheffield City Council.
A 37hour week is the basic requirement for a full time post.
ISSUE DATE: JUNE 2007
PERSON SPECIFICATION FOR THE POST OF
Minimum Essential Requirements Method of Assessment
Ability to organise self to achieve team and service Application Form / Interview
Ability to work under pressure to achieve deadlines Application Form / Interview
Ability to work as part of a team Application Form / Interview
Numerate Application Form / Interview / Test
Ability to operate and maintain financial systems Application Form / Interview / Test
Ability to work effectively with Microsoft Excel Application Form / Interview / Test
spreadsheets and Word documents
Ability to deal sensitively with service users and other Application Form / Interview
individuals or organisations
Ability to communicate effectively Application Form / Interview
Ability to act in a professional manner Interview
Ability to engage in continuous personal development Application Form / Interview
Experience of working in a busy office environment Application Form / Interview
Experience of working with financial or statistical Application Form / Interview
Work Related Circumstances
(including Working Conditions)
Flexibility in attendance will be required in order to Application Form / Interview
maintain office cover along with other team members
and to ensure work is completed to set deadlines
ISSUE DATE: JUNE 2007