Book Log Entry
Author: Anthony Browne
Published by and date: Walkers Books 1983 (this ed 2008)
Genre: Children’s Fiction: Picture Book
Hannah’s favourite animals in the whole world are gorillas; she reads about them, watches programmes
about them, and draws pictures of them.
But all she really wants to do is see a gorilla in real life. Hannah’s dad is always too busy to take her to
the zoo, so on her birthday, Hannah decides to ask for a gorilla of her own.
Hannah’s birthday wish is granted – but differently to the way that she imagined it would be...
Could be used for:
Year 1/2 KS1 book which could be used for:
- Part of a series of Anthony Browne books including Willy, Willy’s Pictures, The Tunnel, The Night
- Discussion about children’s illustration
- Discuss themes of book, family, loneliness, zoos and captivity
- Spotting elements of the pictures which are funny or unexpected
- Hot seating characters and how feel about story events
- Children to write own story about an adventure with an animal – where would they go, what
would they see?
- Talking about how book made them feel – did they feel different at the beginning and end?
- Whole class book
http://www.carnegiegreenaway.org.uk/celebration/resources/Visual%20Literacy%20Pack.pdf – visual
literacy resources to support picture book topics