Write a descriptive title less than 12 words.
Introduction: Do you remember when you were an alien investigating the earth? Well you have gone home to
your alien planet (Strange-world) and you have brought some samples back with you. Your task is to use the
scientific method to determine if any of your samples are living or non-living. Remember these are samples
from an alien (to you) world do not make any assumptions as to what they might be.
In your Introduction please include your scientific method question and hypothesis for each sample. A good
hypothesis includes reasons why you made it.
Scientific Method: 1.Question, 2.Hypothesize, 3.Test with Experiment,
Materials: Please list every object used in this lab.
Method: Please write “Method followed from Life lab, Mr. Heathcote, ECA, 2011.”
1. Make 3 TITLED tables in the section of observations for samples A, B, and C. List as many
observations as you can.
2. In 3 labeled test tubes weigh out approximately 0.3 g and record the exact amount with uncertainty
for each sample.
3. Add 5.0 ml of 5% sucrose (sugar) water, 50 centigrade and record the exact amount you added with
uncertainty for each sample.
3. Record any changes in the observations you recorded in step 1 for samples A,B,C.
4. Clean Up.
Discussion: (use complete sentences & # each question)
1) Restate your 3 hypothesis and explain why they were or were not supported by the data.
2) Why was 5% sucrose (sugar) water added to all the samples?
3) What property of life did you test for in this experiment?
4) List the other 6 characteristics of life and explain a test/experiment you could perform to test the samples for
each of them.
Grade 9 Lab Rubric: Is It Alive
ECA standard Aspects Level
Standard 10 – Collecting & Recording Data Organizing & Presenting Raw Data CC 7 or 6
CP 6 or 5 or 4
__ raw data related to problem __ raw quantitative data is presented in table format with ruled CN 5 or 4
Collects and __ all correct units are included columns & rows PP 4 or 3
processes data __ uncertainties are included (margin of __ observations neat and in order PN 3 or 2
error) __ has meaningful title NN 1 or 0
__ all data collected is included __ table is complete and understandable
C= complete C P N C P N
Standard 11 – Drawing Valid Conclusions Evaluating procedure & Results CC 7 or 6
Draws __ correct interpretation/conclusion __ comparison of hypothesis & CP 6 or 5 or 4
__ conclusion is in agreement w/ conclusion included CN 5 or 4
conclusions and accepted ideals or literature PP 4 or 3
evaluates __ explanation of how the conclusion C P N PN 3 or 2
experiments was reached (based upon results) NN 1 or 0
C P N
Standard 12- Follows Instructions Carries out techniques correctly Works safely CCC 7 or 6
CCP 6 or 5
CCN 5 or 4
Manipulates CPP 4
equipment PPP 4 or 3
PPN 3 or 2
PNN , NNN 1 or 0